Glueless Patch failures in Hot Weather

Old June 3rd 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Grolsch

Default Glueless Patch failures in Hot Weather

I've had a few glueless patch failures recently. The Axiom glueless patches
seem to just begin to loose adhesion. I've never had the problem before with
any other glueless patches or with conventional patches. Are these meant for
temporary use only, as in get yourself home or what?

Old June 3rd 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 3, 9:42 am, "Grolsch" wrote:
I've had a few glueless patch failures recently. The Axiom glueless patches
seem to just begin to loose adhesion. I've never had the problem before with
any other glueless patches or with conventional patches. Are these meant for
temporary use only, as in get yourself home or what?

Yes. Get some real patches and invest those extra thirty seconds.
Glueless patches are a joke.

Old June 3rd 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Jun 3, 11:42 am, landotter wrote:
On Jun 3, 9:42 am, "Grolsch" wrote:

I've had a few glueless patch failures recently. The Axiom glueless patches
seem to just begin to loose adhesion. I've never had the problem before with
any other glueless patches or with conventional patches. Are these meant for
temporary use only, as in get yourself home or what?

Yes. Get some real patches and invest those extra thirty seconds.
Glueless patches are a joke.

IMO, glueless patches are a "quick-fix-to-get-me-home" band aid. If
they get you home, replace the tube or the glueless patch.

Old June 3rd 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Crazy Fred

On Jun 3, 10:42 am, "Grolsch" wrote:
I've had a few glueless patch failures recently. The Axiom glueless patches
seem to just begin to loose adhesion. I've never had the problem before with
any other glueless patches or with conventional patches. Are these meant for
temporary use only, as in get yourself home or what?

Glueless patches are hit and miss.But the best way is carry an extra
tube and patch old one while at home when you got the time and a glue
patch kit.

Old June 4th 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Alex

On Jun 3, 10:42 am, "Grolsch" wrote:
I've had a few glueless patch failures recently. The Axiom glueless patches
seem to just begin to loose adhesion. I've never had the problem before with
any other glueless patches or with conventional patches. Are these meant for
temporary use only, as in get yourself home or what?

I've got some limited experience with this type of patch, the Park
brand type. The patches work
really well to get you home. But mine have all failed after about a
year of use. I still carry these
as a back up in case I get more than one flat, I always carry a spare
tube.
-----------------
Alex

Old June 4th 07, 07:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ernst Blofeld

On Jun 3, 7:42 am, "Grolsch" wrote:
I've had a few glueless patch failures recently.

That's because they don't work.

Old June 4th 07, 07:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joel Mayes

On 2007-06-03, Grolsch wrote:
I've had a few glueless patch failures recently. The Axiom glueless patches
seem to just begin to loose adhesion. I've never had the problem before with
any other glueless patches or with conventional patches. Are these meant for
temporary use only, as in get yourself home or what?

One of the local old-timer tourers around here swears that even well
applied glue patches will blow out if ridden for a length of time when
the air temp is above 40C (107F).

How hot are you talking?

Cheers

Joel
--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
| Affordable second hand bikes
(03) 9029 6504 | Bicycle reuse centre
www.humanpowered.com.au | Mechanical and on-road training and instruction
Old June 6th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Matt O'Toole

On Jun 3, 9:42 am, "Grolsch" wrote:

I've had a few glueless patch failures recently. The Axiom glueless patches
seem to just begin to loose adhesion. I've never had the problem before with
any other glueless patches or with conventional patches. Are these meant for
temporary use only, as in get yourself home or what?

Yes. Get some real patches and invest those extra thirty seconds.
Glueless patches are a joke.

IMO, glueless patches are a "quick-fix-to-get-me-home" band aid. If
they get you home, replace the tube or the glueless patch.

This used to be true, but the glueless patches I've used lately have been
very reliable. I have a couple on my current tubes that are a couple of
years old, and don't leak at all.

Matt O.