Turner 5 Spot

Old April 26th 06, 10:35 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Turner 5 Spot

Anyone ridden the new 5 Spot? Is it as good as the old one, or one to be
avoided?

Old April 27th 06, 03:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"mtb_dude" wrote in message
Anyone ridden the new 5 Spot? Is it as good as the old one, or one to be
avoided?

Same bike..don't fall for the TNT vs Horst Link hype.

Old April 27th 06, 06:47 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Dean A. Stepper wrote:
"mtb_dude" wrote in message

Anyone ridden the new 5 Spot? Is it as good as the old one, or one to be
avoided?

Same bike..don't fall for the TNT vs Horst Link hype.

Bull****. There's a huge difference in performance between the two.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Old April 27th 06, 07:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

G.T. wrote:
Dean A. Stepper wrote:
"mtb_dude" wrote in message

Anyone ridden the new 5 Spot? Is it as good as the old one, or one to be
avoided?

Same bike..don't fall for the TNT vs Horst Link hype.

Bull****. There's a huge difference in performance between the two.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Waking to the sound of laughter

Oh oh....

Think I'll put some popcorn in the microwave.

/s

Old April 27th 06, 07:48 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Scott Gordo wrote:
G.T. wrote:
Dean A. Stepper wrote:
"mtb_dude" wrote in message

Anyone ridden the new 5 Spot? Is it as good as the old one, or one
to be avoided?

Same bike..don't fall for the TNT vs Horst Link hype.

Bull****. There's a huge difference in performance between the two.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine
Waking to the sound of laughter

Oh oh....

Think I'll put some popcorn in the microwave.

Put in the extra-large one for me.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old April 28th 06, 12:51 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:45:11 -0700, Per Löwdin
wrote:

Bull****. There's a huge difference in performance between the two.

- I am inclined to think so too. But is it true? What difference do you
think it makes?

Of course Turner would not admit if the new design was less good as they
would lose on it.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Read how and why Mr. Leitner invented it and you'll understand
http://www.amp-research.com/prove/news_detail.asp?id=73
_____
Slack
Old April 28th 06, 01:55 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 23:18:03 -0700, Per Löwdin
wrote:

newsp.s8oxwjwuumctv2@slacker...
wrote:

Bull****. There's a huge difference in performance between the two.

- I am inclined to think so too. But is it true? What difference do you
think it makes?

Of course Turner would not admit if the new design was less good as
they
would lose on it.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Read how and why Mr. Leitner invented it and you'll understand
http://www.amp-research.com/prove/news_detail.asp?id=73

Well, I ride a Titus Switchblade that has a horst-link, so I am familiar
with its advantages. However, now Turner claims they make just as good
bikes
without horstlinks. Considering Turner?s history it has some weight. Or
is
it a marketing scam?

Per
http://lowdin.nu

I understand what you are saying. I've talked to Turner a couple of times
about their frame design, not the 5 spot, and they were very open & honest
about it. But everyone has their limits regarding disclosure; I suspect
there's a little legitimacy mixed in with the marketing.
_____
Slack
Old April 28th 06, 02:33 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

wrote:

[...]

Is Turner's design substantially different from Kona's or RM's or any
of the multitude of companies that use a non-Horst link 4-bar? Is he
claiming that the Progressive-type shocks are closing the performance
gap, as it seems to have done for single-pivot designs?

/s

Old April 28th 06, 03:03 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Non horst link 4 bar" is a very fancy way of saying "single pivot".
The new Turner, like most Konas, is a single pivot design. It might
have a very fancy shock linkage, but there is only one pivot between
bottom bracket and rear axle.

I liked the bike Scott made, which had interchangeable rear dropout
assemblies that could be switched between a Horst and non-Horst design.
(They sold the single pvot version in the USA, and the Horst design in
the rest of the world where Specialized's patent lawyers can't reach).
I'm sure that Turner could have done a similar thing if he had any
sales outside America.

Old April 28th 06, 04:22 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"sunderland" wrote in message
oups.com...
"Non horst link 4 bar" is a very fancy way of saying "single pivot".
The new Turner, like most Konas, is a single pivot design. It might
have a very fancy shock linkage, but there is only one pivot between
bottom bracket and rear axle.

I liked the bike Scott made, which had interchangeable rear dropout
assemblies that could be switched between a Horst and non-Horst design.
(They sold the single pvot version in the USA, and the Horst design in
the rest of the world where Specialized's patent lawyers can't reach).
I'm sure that Turner could have done a similar thing if he had any
sales outside America.

This whole topic has been discussed on and on the MTBR Turner board by
people that have spent time on both designs. The conscience is that they
can not tell the difference. I have ridden both and own a older 5-Spot and
I felt no difference. Maybe someone that rides hard and pushes a bike to
it's extreme might tell a difference.