Road race cyclist mows down a pedestrian

Old August 23rd 12, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Default Road race cyclist mows down a pedestrian

"We crossed the road. I had my daughter and my friend with me. I had got
almost all the way across the road when this bike zoomed down. It came out
of no where and I went flying into a car."
She suffered a suspected broken leg and is now walking on crutches, as well
as bruising on her arm where she hit the car. Her injuries have caused
problems in looking after her four children.

Ms Wakely added: "I don't even know who the person who knocked me down was.
Why couldn't he just have gone around me?

"PC Winward said he thought they were going 30 to 35 miles per hour.

"It was lucky it was me really, not someone older or my children."

I hope she can make a substantial claim against the organisers of this race
on public roads, a big claim may improve their act in the futue, or
hopefully curtail it completely.

http://www.viewfrompublishing.co.uk/...wn-by-jurassic

Old August 23rd 12, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 23/08/2012 09:24, Mrcheerful wrote:

"We crossed the road. I had my daughter and my friend with me. I had got
almost all the way across the road when this bike zoomed down. It came out
of no where and I went flying into a car."
She suffered a suspected broken leg and is now walking on crutches, as well
as bruising on her arm where she hit the car. Her injuries have caused
problems in looking after her four children.
Ms Wakely added: "I don't even know who the person who knocked me down was.
Why couldn't he just have gone around me?
"PC Winward said he thought they were going 30 to 35 miles per hour.
"It was lucky it was me really, not someone older or my children."

I hope she can make a substantial claim against the organisers of this race
on public roads, a big claim may improve their act in the futue, or
hopefully curtail it completely.

http://www.viewfrompublishing.co.uk/...wn-by-jurassic

That is an interesting news story - loads of side issues and a few complete
non-sequiturs.

In connection with the co-lateral local story about a proposed watering-down
of a pedestrian route along the seafront, there is this delicious quote:

START:
Councillor Clipson said he had never seen a cyclist riding a full speed along
the seafront. He added: “I don’t *propose* to *see* it [there are none so
blind as they who will not see? - ed. - and my emphasis] and I don’t think
our proposals will encourage it.”
END

Many cyclists don't actually need encouragement to behave badly. What
"proposals" ever encouraged cycling through red lights? Or the wrong way
along one-way streets? Or along footways or in pedestrian-only areas? Or at
full speed along a highway with head down and no care for what might be ahead?

But then again, what does it matter, if Cllr Clipson doesn't propose to see
any misbehaviour? After all, if he doesn't see it, it hasn't happened.

His first name is reported (elsewhere) as "Chris". They might have that
wrong. He sounds more of a Dick than a Chris.
Old August 23rd 12, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:24:55 AM UTC+1, Mrcheerful wrote:
"We crossed the road. I had my daughter and my friend with me. I had got
almost all the way across the road when this bike zoomed down. It came out
of no where and I went flying into a car."

Sorry to bring some boring objectivity into this, but where does the story say that the cyclist was doing anything illegal? He was travelling along the road at around 30mph, i.e. like any vehicle. This doesn't square with the "came out of nowhere" line, the ped must have been crossing the road where her view of the road was restricted, or paying insufficent regard to the traffic. Can you conjure up any other explanation?

I hope she can make a substantial claim against the organisers of this race
on public roads, a big claim may improve their act in the futue, or
hopefully curtail it completely.

So reducing the charity's income, what a nice chap you are.

On the unrelated cycling along the promenade issue, this was banned at Llandudno until recently. I'm not aware of any problems arising since the ban was lifted. The reason is obvious: the type of cyclist who would ride recklessly is the same type that would ignore the ban, so it was only stopping responsible cyclists.
Old August 23rd 12, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

a responsible cyclist would travel at a speed appropriate to the conditions
and would easily avoid a group of pedestrians or stop before hitting them.
A racing
cyclist clearly travelling too fast to avoid a crash IS doing something
illegal, either careless or dangerous cycling would be an appropriate
charge.

if a charity thinks that injuring people can be justified by fund racing
then it should be shut down.

Old August 23rd 12, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Aug 23, 9:24*am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
*"We crossed the road. I had my daughter and my friend with me. I had got
almost all the way across the road when this bike zoomed down. It came out
of no where and I went flying into a car."
She suffered a suspected broken leg and is now walking on crutches, as well
as bruising on her arm where she hit the car. Her injuries have caused
problems in looking after her four children.

Ms Wakely added: "I don't even know who the person who knocked me down was.
Why couldn't he just have gone around me?

"PC Winward said he thought they were going 30 to 35 miles per hour.

"It was lucky it was me really, not someone older or my children."

I hope she can make a substantial claim against the organisers of this race
on public roads, a big claim may improve their act in the futue, or
hopefully curtail it completely.

http://www.viewfrompublishing.co.uk/.../lyme-regis-wo...

"The Wiggle Jurassic Classic is a sportive, not a race."
Was not run under BCF regulations or has any endorsement or support.
700 effing riders, wadya expect?
Old August 23rd 12, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Aug 23, 1:03*pm, thirty-six wrote:
[...]

"There will be marshals (wearing fluorescent vests) located at the
start, feed stations and the finish. All volunteers and staff involved
in the event will be clearly identifiable. The marshalsdo nothave the
authority to direct traffic;they are there for your safety and other
road users."

Oh dear, they really don't get it do they, "hey but we can hack out
your prostate".
Old August 23rd 12, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

Default Wiggle and Prostate Cancer UK in joint liability for slapshodsportive organisation.

http://prostatecanceruk.org/get-invo...rassic-classic
Old August 23rd 12, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 23/08/2012 12:01, wrote:
[...]

Charities who organise road races should be insured against such an eventuality.

Whether they are or not, the fact that a charity is (partly) responsible for
the lady's injuries should not mean that she should lose out.

Old August 23rd 12, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Aug 23, 4:21*pm, JNugent wrote:
On 23/08/2012 12:01, wrote:

[...]

They are not,

the fact that a charity is (partly) responsible for
the lady's injuries should not mean that she should lose out.

She should make an appropriate claim against the three parties
concerned. Neither Wiggle nor ProstatecancerUK can absolve themselves
of responsibility, they order that helmets must be worn so they can
order that insurance must be held, intead of the suggestion that
partakers obtain third party insurance. BCF licence holders are
insured for any time when using a cycle on the public road, not just
competetive or other events. All events are insured and almost all
partakers are licence holders with individual insurance.

Old August 24th 12, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
DavidR[_4_]

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message

"It was lucky it was me really, not someone older or my children."

It was equally lucky that it was "only" a bicycle, not a car, bus,
large goods vehicle or any of the other forms of traffic.

There is a lot in the news report that smells.

The idea that someone can be sent "flying" by a cyclist doing 30mph without
the cyclist coming off is rather ridiculous. Her injuries were obviously
caused by the car.

Not stopping to exchange details is wrong (if he was directly involved) I
expect they should be able to get some DNA off the road surface if they want
identification.