Nigel Havers goes off on one in the Daily 'Hate' Mail...

Old June 13th 06, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Nigel Havers goes off on one in the Daily 'Hate' Mail...

The Daily Hate Mail is at it again. The following is probably the most
vitriolic, ill-informed, biased anti-cyclist rant I have ever read!

They're belligerent. Foul-mouthed. A danger to us all. But in a
blistering attack on selfish cyclists, NIGEL HAVERS says it's their
smug self-righteousness that really drives him insane.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...page_id=1 787

Meanwhile back in the real world...

Respect on the road

Qualitative research to explore public attitudes towards, and
participation in anti-social behaviour on the roads. Published: 12 June
2006.

3. The effect of being in a car

The upshot of all these factors seems to be that the on-road
environment is conducive to impatience and aggression, and the fact of
being in a car makes many people less concerned about the social and
physical consequences of displaying this type of behaviour. This
combination of environment and security means that many people are
prone to act in a more 'primal' way than they otherwise would. Indeed,
it does seem possible that people have a latent capacity to be
disrespectful, but are persuaded to be respectful by fear of the
consequences and social inhibition. By removing this danger and
inhibition, the driving situation allows them to fulfil their 'natural'
urge to be disrespectful.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ty_611837.hcsp

Old June 13th 06, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote in message
oups.com...
The Daily Hate Mail is at it again. The following is probably the most
vitriolic, ill-informed, biased anti-cyclist rant I have ever read!

They're belligerent. Foul-mouthed. A danger to us all. But in a
blistering attack on selfish cyclists, NIGEL HAVERS says it's their
smug self-righteousness that really drives him insane.

I'm actually starting to "enjoy" articles like these. With the baking hot
weather the posers in their Warrior pick up trucks sit fuming as some
whippet thin fit roadie speeds past with big grin.

THAT'S WHAT HURTS MOST!

I like the idea of paying no tax though - when's it going to happen?

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Old June 13th 06, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Who gives a toss what Nigel Havers thinks?

Old June 13th 06, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon Bennett wrote:
Who gives a toss what Nigel Havers thinks?

Erm... blush I'm not even sure I know who he is...?
Old June 13th 06, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:42:47 +0100,
Simon Mason wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
The Daily Hate Mail is at it again. The following is probably the most
vitriolic, ill-informed, biased anti-cyclist rant I have ever read!

They're belligerent. Foul-mouthed. A danger to us all. But in a
blistering attack on selfish cyclists, NIGEL HAVERS says it's their
smug self-righteousness that really drives him insane.

I'm actually starting to "enjoy" articles like these. With the baking hot
weather the posers in their Warrior pick up trucks sit fuming as some
whippet thin fit roadie speeds past with big grin.

THAT'S WHAT HURTS MOST!

I would think having a granny on an old raleigh shopper trundle past whilst
they sit in their "cars" would hurt far more.

--
Andy Leighton =
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_
Old June 13th 06, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon Mason twisted the electrons to say:
I like the idea of paying no tax though - when's it going to happen?

Aye ... think of the extra bikes you could buy with the money that
currently goes to Gordon Brown!?! grins
Old June 13th 06, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

In article , Chris Smith
) wrote:
Simon Bennett wrote:
Who gives a toss what Nigel Havers thinks?

Erm... blush I'm not even sure I know who he is...?

He is a poncy thesp, and son of former Attorney General Sir Michael of
that Ilk. I diskard him.

Never give a gun to ducks.
Old June 13th 06, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Chris Smith said the following on 13/06/2006 11:52:

Erm... blush I'm not even sure I know who he is...?

I wouldn't let that worry you! He's an actor, or taking a wild guess
based on the number of times he's been on the screen lately, an ex-actor :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old June 13th 06, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Chris Smith wrote:
Simon Bennett wrote:
Who gives a toss what Nigel Havers thinks?

Erm... blush I'm not even sure I know who he is...?

A tall thin bloke who is famous for pretending to be other people.

...d