Stupid People And Cheap Carbon Rims

Old December 16th 18, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Stupid People And Cheap Carbon Rims

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 3:00:06 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 10:42:25 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 2:58:24 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, December 14, 2018 at 10:38:04 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Thursday, December 13, 2018 at 8:23:22 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, December 13, 2018 at 2:57:06 PM UTC, wrote:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...8&&FORM=VDRVRV

Is this supposed to be vindication for a bad choice? Note that the 38mm tubeless set is four times what you paid for your wheels. https://www.yoeleobike.com/ https://www.yoeleobike.com/disc-brak...-c38-road.html It also comes with DT hubs, making it a good value. The daily sale aluminum/carbon wheels with no-name hubs are still more than twice what you paid. https://www.yoeleobike.com/carbon-al...lset-50mm.html

Moreover, Yoeleo has made an effort to legitimize itself with a plausible web-presence, claimed UCI "approval" and other hallmarks of a legitimate business. We know nothing about your $250 FleaBay purchase. Who made your wheels that, by the way, exploded. The issue is not the fact they were manufactured in China. My Emonda SLR was made in China -- it just wasn't some POS knock-off with an unknown pedigree.

-- Jay Beattie.

Tell us Jay - do you use carbon wheels? Or do you as seems to be normal here criticize other people's choices? You have already given us the idea that you live on the hill in a gated community and don't even pay any attention to the town you supposedly call home.

A have some Dura-Ace C35 carbon/aluminum but no pure carbon wheels which I think are a poor choice for a rim brake bike in a wet climate.

BTW, there are no gates in my community, although I do live on a hill -- along with most other people who live in close-in west Portland. I am solidly middle-class and so is my neighborhood -- and actually kind of ratty around the edges.

I see no footprint for Tom Kunich. No patents at the USPTO. No published scientific literature on LEXIS/Elsevier/Medline. No publications on Amazon. Gawd, even I have stuff on Amazon (thankfully out of print). No public office. No professional associations. All of your claims about being the great scientist and engineer, there is no hint of your existence except your own internet forum posts. You are basically invisible, yet everyone else is an idiot. If you want to know about my professional and civic involvement, just Google me. These make me feel good: https://www.thestreettrust.org/2015/...e-1995-heroes/ https://www.huffingtonpost.com/rex-b...b_3861490.html You can even get a writing sample: https://www.cocklelegalbriefs.com/wp...df-Beattie.pdf Before being critical, Andre should understand that a cert petition is a peculiar type of writing unrelated to ordinary English prose.
So, Tom, feel free to post the links to your science and engineering achievements -- that you did not write.

-- Jay Beattie.

Jay, if you've never had pure carbon wheels what would you know about their braking power? Mine have about the same and the brake pads are less effected by wet. In fact on the ride I went on Thursday it drizzled on me during rollers and I never even noticed any change in braking.

I have come to believe that perhaps disks are the way to go because carbon rims will mechanically last forever.

My son has pure carbon wheels, that's how. I've logged a lot of hours riding with my son up and down the canyons in the Wasatch Mountains and the usual local stuff. He complains about the price of brake pads, poor breaking in the wet and problems overheating on long downhills, of which he saw many riding for the University of Utah. Go Utes!

-- Jay Beattie.

The brake pads do wear rapidly. This is opposed to the aluminum rims wearing rapidly at the usually higher friction and heat from the rubber pads. I had this argument elsewhere and showed them that aluminum rims have either a groove around the perimeter of the rim of small dots that are supposed to show the limits of wear for aluminum rims. These are almost universally ignored until major rim failures occur and then the manufacturer is condemned for making an inferior product.

I have had absolutely no difference from braking in the dry and during short bursts of drizzle.

And I have not had overheating problems like I do on aluminum rims which hold a great deal more heat energy from braking than carbon fiber rims do. I often do miles long high speed descents with necessary braking on hard turns. The aluminum rims are not stiff enough and require a great deal more care in the turns than my full carbon rims so my descents are much safer with the CF rims.

At the moment there is still the quality control problem with anything CF made by any manufacturer. Even the sonic testing method have proven unsuccessful and this will have to be solved. This is why most of these manufacturers have reverted to aluminum rims with CF fairings.
Old December 16th 18, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 12:21:34 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 7:42:25 PM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Are you saying that full CF rims brake as good as AL rims and don't get worse when it is wet? That is not my experience owning a set of Zipp wheels and Mavic Comete wheels. At best they brake half as good when dry and even worse when wet. I think I'm not the only one with that experience. I don't dare myself in the mountains with a full CF front wheel. They are aero wheels and I use them as such in time trials and trying to go fast on the flats.. Thank god we have a lot of that here ;-)

Lou

Well, I don't usually ride in rain so I can't testify to a case like that. But I have ridden in drizzly rain and generally damp roads and there was no change in brake efficacy at all.
Old December 16th 18, 06:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 7:19:46 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 12/16/2018 12:21 AM, wrote:

Are you saying that full CF rims brake as good as AL rims and don't get worse when it is wet? That is not my experience owning a set of Zipp wheels and Mavic Comete wheels. At best they brake half as good when dry and even worse when wet. I think I'm not the only one with that experience. I don't dare myself in the mountains with a full CF front wheel. They are aero wheels and I use them as such in time trials and trying to go fast on the flats. Thank god we have a lot of that here ;-)

It's not just braking ability, it's heat dissipation. The CF rims are
not going to last as long as aluminum rims mechanically, but they also
can fail more spectacularly due to heat. One CF rim brand did an
extensive test of the heat dissipation capability of different rims to
showcase their proprietary resin.
https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/alto-destroys-carbon-clinchers-in-braking-heat-test-51474/

"The issue with carbon clinchers is that rim braking generates heat,
and, when pushed to extremes, can cause the resin to soften, which can
lead to the rim bubbling or folding open. In worst-case scenarios, the
rim can fail enough that the tire can come off or the inner tube can
burst from the heat. Years ago, a few events like Levi's Gran Fondo in
California banned carbon clinchers after multiple incidents on steep,
winding descents. "

Carbon Fiber has a lower heat capacity than aluminum. But I have heated aluminum rims up to the point where you cannot touch them on hard descents and I have never gotten CF rims more than hot to the touch and not capable of burning you like aluminum rims.

I have also heated aluminum rims so hot that they caused a flat by burning through the cord of the tire. I haven't enough experience with CF yet but they are so much stiffer on descents and hard turns that I think that the only time I would need to brake like that would be from coming upon an accident on a blind turn.
Old December 16th 18, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 12/16/2018 12:21 AM, wrote:

[...]

CF rim design has improved to deal with the heat issue, but they are still not optimal. It's a nice material for disc brake bikes. I don't doubt that there are some well made Chinese CF rims for reasonable prices, but I would be suspicious of a $250 complete rim-brake wheel set. IMO, the weight differential isn't that great either -- maybe 20g CF versus aluminum per rim.. Shaping is nice for aero wheels, like Lou says.

Light stuff is faster. It IS about the bike to a degree, but I have learned that one can save money and be fast on a relatively heavy bike by choosing slower riding companions. My speed has skyrocketed after choosing to ride with the sick and disabled. Today, however, I'm riding in the rain with much faster riders, and after racking my knees skiing yesterday, a bike that weighed nothing could not save me from getting dumped on the climbs. If I only had carbon rims! I would have dominated!

-- Jay Beattie.

Let us suppose that CF wheels did wear faster than AL. While my experience has been the opposite, you could STILL buy 4 wheelsets of the Chinese wheels for the cost of one set of those sold from major manufacturers here. And from the looks of it, they are all built in the same factory.

After about 500 miles on mine I have had to install new brake pads once and there appears to be no wear on the rim braking surfaces beyond being polished on the brake track.
Old December 16th 18, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, December 13, 2018 at 6:57:06 AM UTC-8, wrote:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...8&&FORM=VDRVRV

Now I want to make it very clear that a tire with a tube in it has entirely different forces on the tire and rim than a tubeless tire does. Also clincher rims are designed different than tubeless rims.

So far I haven't had any problems with the clincher which caused me to order the tubeless. And these differences which I did not consider, made a HUGE difference in the performance of these rims. All four rims on two wheelsets supplied by two different sources failed in the same manner. Delamination at fairly low pressure - 80psi. So at this point I do not recommend anyone's tubeless all carbon wheels.