fun with hills

Old August 8th 05, 04:45 PM
audrey

Default fun with hills

Quick post to say I managed Dundee and its hills by bike. I did have
to get off and push for a short way going up past Camperdown, (but I
was ladened with full panniers at the time). Can't say going up the
hills was fun but coming down them was. Cycling on the Kingsway was
definitely a Bad Idea. My extended family now view me with that
mixture of admiration and puzzlement I've become used to ('wow you
cycled! up a hill! that's great. But why did you, you have a car
don't you?'). And now I have a looming pile of OU work to get through
:-(
Old August 8th 05, 04:55 PM
David Martin

audrey wrote:
Quick post to say I managed Dundee and its hills by bike. I did have
to get off and push for a short way going up past Camperdown, (but I
was ladened with full panniers at the time).

Well done. That is a bit of a hill.

Can't say going up the
hills was fun but coming down them was. Cycling on the Kingsway was
definitely a Bad Idea.

The cycle paths next to it are even worse. I tend to go along the
clepington road (just S of Kingsway.)

My extended family now view me with that
mixture of admiration and puzzlement I've become used to ('wow you
cycled! up a hill! that's great. But why did you, you have a car
don't you?'). And now I have a looming pile of OU work to get through

But it is nice to get out and about. Shame we didn't meet up but I was
flat on my back all weekend with some nasty lurgy.

...d

Old August 8th 05, 05:33 PM
audrey

On 8 Aug 2005 08:55:49 -0700, "David Martin"
wrote:

audrey wrote:
Quick post to say I managed Dundee and its hills by bike. I did have
to get off and push for a short way going up past Camperdown, (but I
was ladened with full panniers at the time).

Well done. That is a bit of a hill.

Ta. My red-faced exertions entertained the hitchhiking berry pickers,
too.
Can't say going up the
hills was fun but coming down them was. Cycling on the Kingsway was
definitely a Bad Idea.

The cycle paths next to it are even worse. I tend to go along the
clepington road (just S of Kingsway.)

Yes I tried the cycle paths once, I know what you mean. Next time I
will experiment with other ways of getting from Piperdam to Mill
O'Mains.

But it is nice to get out and about. Shame we didn't meet up but I was
flat on my back all weekend with some nasty lurgy.

aww. Hope you're feeling better now. Maybe see you next time.

Audrey

Old August 9th 05, 09:02 AM
David Martin

wrote:

Can't say going up the
hills was fun but coming down them was. Cycling on the Kingsway was
definitely a Bad Idea.

The cycle paths next to it are even worse. I tend to go along the
clepington road (just S of Kingsway.)

Yes I tried the cycle paths once, I know what you mean. Next time I
will experiment with other ways of getting from Piperdam to Mill
O'Mains.

If you don't mind a bit of off road, you could try the cycle route
through Templeton woods then down to the Dighty burn through Trottick.
Nice ride but potentially a bit secluded in parts for a young lady
alone.

But it is nice to get out and about. Shame we didn't meet up but I was
flat on my back all weekend with some nasty lurgy.

aww. Hope you're feeling better now. Maybe see you next time.

Much better, or at least I was till I had to fight with a tree
yesterday evening. The tree lost [1]

...d

[1] My neighbours are moving so I am taking the opportunity (with their
permission) to tidy up the boundary between the two houses. This
involved the removal of a few saplings[2] and trimming 15m of flowering
raspberry. Wielding a petrol hedge trimmer at arms length can still be
felt in my shoulders today.
[2] well, one was more of a small tree with a 6" trunk growing out from
a very well established laurel hedge. Much cursing and wielding of
mattocks later and a victory was secured.

Old August 9th 05, 10:10 AM
Roos Eisma

"David Martin" writes:

[1] My neighbours are moving so I am taking the opportunity (with their

I noticed _both_ your neighbours are moving... is it the bikebuilding
noises or the smell of molten metal?

Roos

Old August 9th 05, 10:32 AM
David Martin

Roos Eisma wrote:
"David Martin" writes:

[1] My neighbours are moving so I am taking the opportunity (with their

I noticed _both_ your neighbours are moving... is it the bikebuilding
noises or the smell of molten metal?

Old age in both cases. The old chap next door has had a few strokes and
with all the clutter in the house cannot get about. He has been
effectively housebound for the last few years. So they have sold up and
have moved to a nice new bungalow up in Lochee.

The other side, they have decided to move so their teenage daughter can
have a bigger room (and being a multi-car family, they probably want
more car parking)

It will be interesting to see what the one next door sells for (the
other half of our semi detatched but with one less floor)

Nearly finished the molten metal bits for the moment. Just got the last
few bits to piece together for the trailer and it will be done. And I
need to obtain a hitch from somewhere..

...d

Old August 9th 05, 10:34 AM
Peter Clinch

Roos Eisma wrote:

I noticed _both_ your neighbours are moving... is it the bikebuilding
noises or the smell of molten metal?

Perhaps the screams of bicycles as they are rearranged into new shapes
they never realised was possible...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old August 9th 05, 11:11 AM
Peter Clinch

David Martin wrote:

It will be interesting to see what the one next door sells for (the
other half of our semi detatched but with one less floor)

See today's Courier headline about Dundee leading the current house
price increase charts. Technically I could be rich... if I didn't mind
wild camping 365/12! ;-/

Pete.

Old August 9th 05, 11:40 AM
Tony Raven

Peter Clinch wrote:

See today's Courier headline about Dundee leading the current house
price increase charts. Technically I could be rich... if I didn't mind
wild camping 365/12! ;-/

Awaits pithy reply from Roos ;-)

--
Tony

Anon
Old August 9th 05, 12:24 PM
Nick Kew

Peter Clinch wrote:
David Martin wrote:

It will be interesting to see what the one next door sells for (the
other half of our semi detatched but with one less floor)

See today's Courier headline about Dundee leading the current house
price increase charts. Technically I could be rich... if I didn't mind
wild camping 365/12! ;-/

If you own property in the UK, you *are* rich. Quite apart from wild
camping, you could monetise it by moving into rented property (like
those brits who aren't rich), or to a lower-cost country, or ...

--
Nick Kew