Almost bought the farm AGAIN

Old March 4th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Almost bought the farm AGAIN

"Gooserider" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

Gooserider wrote:
This is the second time in a week I've nearly been run over by a

driver.
Last week a pickup turned left in front of me, and a nice deputy pulled
her
over. This morning I was pedalling the two blocks to the gym at 5AM.

I'm
pretty well lighted---two bright LED headlights and a reflective vest
with
blinking LEDs. I saw a car turn onto the road ahead of me and head my
direction on the opposite side. Suddenly, the car veered to my lane and
drove right toward me. It was dark and my eyes hadn't fully adjusted,

so
couldn't really judge the distance until she was pretty close. She saw

me
and swerved to her right---it was a newspaper delivery person driving

on
the
wrong side to fill paper boxes! Unbelievable. It's like they're trying

get me.

Weird events like that do happen, and it's weirder when you get two in
a row.

I wouldn't overreact with strobes, mega-lights, mega-horns and the
like. Your lights are probably fine. You simply had a little bad
luck. It's likely random - and two random events sometimes happen in a
row.

This is assuming, of course, that you didn't just start riding in the
dark, and aren't doing stealth cycling. From your description, that's
certainly not the case.

If it were me, I'd have a friend observe my bike lights & reflectors
from his passing car to see if he thinks they're adequate; then have
him ride your bike while you observe from the car. (Actually, since
I'm me, I've already done that several times with my lights.) You may
think of some easy way to increase visibility - like reflective strips
on the inside surface of your rims, or pedal reflectors, or whatever.

Then I'd remember that these kinds of things happen even in daylight.
You just have to stay aware as you ride and be prepared to react, day
or night.

- Frank Krygowski

Thanks Frank. I think I'm pretty well lit. I have Tireflys on my valve

stems
and Tirefly lighted reflectors on the spokes, in addition to the

headlights,
vest, and taillights.

You might want to consider some reflective strips on your crank arms - these
produce a noticeable left-right alternating "flash" that drivers will
instantly recognize as a bicycle. When I used to commute in darkness, I
applied some silvery, highly reflective 3M strips to my crank arms, and they
proved very effective (they're nearly the same color as most crank arms, so
they're not noticeable in daylight).

Night riding is inherently more risky than daytime, and I don't think you
can have too much light, or too many reflectors. I've had cars pull up
alongside me and comment that I was "lit up like a Christmas tree"...and
that's exactly what I want them to see.

GG

I think the driver was just not paying attention.

Old March 4th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

GaryG wrote:
You might want to consider some reflective strips on your crank
arms - these produce a noticeable left-right alternating "flash"
that drivers will instantly recognize as a bicycle.

I would not. Besides the main goal is being seen as moving object
of recognizable speed and course, not being recognized as a bicycle.

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer
Old March 4th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Helmut Springer wrote:
:: GaryG wrote:
::: You might want to consider some reflective strips on your crank
::: arms - these produce a noticeable left-right alternating "flash"
::: that drivers will instantly recognize as a bicycle.
::
:: I would not. Besides the main goal is being seen as moving object
:: of recognizable speed and course, not being recognized as a bicycle.

Why? If someone knows a moving object is a bicycle, then they might be more
cautious, as some riders (kids, etc) tend to move in unpredictable ways.

Old March 4th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Roger Zoul wrote:
:: I would not. Besides the main goal is being seen as moving object
:: of recognizable speed and course, not being recognized as a bicycle.

Why? If someone knows a moving object is a bicycle, then they
might be more cautious, as some riders (kids, etc) tend to move in
unpredictable ways.

They might. They might pass with very little distance as a bicycle
doesn't impose a threat to them. They might or might not do other
things...

Drivers are supposed to not collide with other road users (or
anything), and seeing them and assessing their trajectory is the
main base and thus the main goal.

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer
Old March 4th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Helmut Springer wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::::: I would not. Besides the main goal is being seen as moving object
::::: of recognizable speed and course, not being recognized as a
::::: bicycle.
:::
::: Why? If someone knows a moving object is a bicycle, then they
::: might be more cautious, as some riders (kids, etc) tend to move in
::: unpredictable ways.
::
:: They might. They might pass with very little distance as a bicycle
:: doesn't impose a threat to them. They might or might not do other
:: things...

A bicycle does impose a threat to them if they hit it. That's called
killing someone, possibly going to jail, a major hassle at the very least,
etc.

::
:: Drivers are supposed to not collide with other road users (or
:: anything), and seeing them and assessing their trajectory is the
:: main base and thus the main goal.

And again, if they know it's a bicycle then they know that its trajectory
could change radically in a very short time. Hence, use EXTRA caution.

It would be one thing if the difference in letting someone know there is a
moving object near and letting them know there is a moving object near that
is a bicycle were a big deal or a lot of extra trouble to do. It's not.

Old March 4th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Helmut Springer" wrote in message
GaryG wrote:
You might want to consider some reflective strips on your crank
arms - these produce a noticeable left-right alternating "flash"
that drivers will instantly recognize as a bicycle.

I would not. Besides the main goal is being seen as moving object
of recognizable speed and course, not being recognized as a bicycle.

I disagree...the left-right flash is immediately identifiable as a "moving
bicycle", who's presence in the roadway requires extra caution. This helps
to ensure that the operator of a motor vehicle won't mistake it for
something else (e.g., a stationary reflector or light next to the roadway).

GG

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer

Old March 4th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Helmut Springer" wrote: I would not. Besides the main goal is being seen
as moving object of recognizable speed and course, not being recognized as a
bicycle.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Helmut, what you say might be true if those reflective strips were applied
at the expense of some other light, reflector or feature. But I can't see
how ADDING something to the mix could be anything but beneficial.

Old March 4th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Roger Zoul wrote:
And again, if they know it's a bicycle then they know that its
trajectory could change radically in a very short time.

That is the case for any vehicle. Bicycle riders who are not able
to ride in a controlled way (loss of control by accident happens to
them as to anyone else and is not considered base for standard
behaviour) should not ride, just as anyone else in traffic. I don't
see any speciality for bicycles. When a driver gets nearer to the
object he spotted he needs to keep sufficient distance, but when
that decision is due his lights will show him all details or his
sight is so limited that he should extremely careful anyway.

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer
Old March 4th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

GaryG wrote:
I disagree...the left-right flash is immediately identifiable as a
"moving bicycle", who's presence in the roadway requires extra
caution.

What extra caution? In my experience bicycle riders are as
predictable as car drivers, and I ride many hours in the dark...

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer
Old March 4th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Gooserider wrote:

Thanks Frank. I think I'm pretty well lit.

DON'T POST DRUNK!

(Slow afternoon.)

BS