Roadies have it easy - camelbaks

Old July 12th 08, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doki

Default Roadies have it easy - camelbaks

Decided to go out on my mountain bike in the first time in *ages* today. So
of course, my camelbak has filled itself with black mould. Had a go at
cleaning it, but it was clearly going nowhere.

So instead I had a look under the sink, and found an old roadie bottle.
Quick rinse and it was ready to use...

Are any of hte other camelbakalikes (platypus) etc. any less of a faff to
keep clean and mould free?

Old July 12th 08, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Doki wrote:
Decided to go out on my mountain bike in the first time in *ages* today.
So of course, my camelbak has filled itself with black mould. Had a go
at cleaning it, but it was clearly going nowhere.

So instead I had a look under the sink, and found an old roadie bottle.
Quick rinse and it was ready to use...

Are any of hte other camelbakalikes (platypus) etc. any less of a faff
to keep clean and mould free?

they are all easy to keep clean, clean them when you come home and
then keep them in the freezer.
Old July 12th 08, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doki

"Marc" wrote in message
Doki wrote:
Decided to go out on my mountain bike in the first time in *ages* today.
So of course, my camelbak has filled itself with black mould. Had a go at
cleaning it, but it was clearly going nowhere.

So instead I had a look under the sink, and found an old roadie bottle.
Quick rinse and it was ready to use...

Are any of hte other camelbakalikes (platypus) etc. any less of a faff to
keep clean and mould free?

they are all easy to keep clean, clean them when you come home and then
keep them in the freezer.

Eh? I don't want to faff around keeping things in the freezer - oddly enough
that's full of food. I want something I can take out of the bag and drain of
water and dry as quickly as possible, which is something that's not possible
with the camelbak, even with a special drying rack.

Old July 12th 08, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_3_]

Doki said the following on 12/07/2008 10:19:

Are any of hte other camelbakalikes (platypus) etc. any less of a faff
to keep clean and mould free?

I don't have any problems with a Camelbak. When I get home, I drain it
out, give it a quick rinse and ignore it until the next time I need it.
I don't use it that often because I tend to use a water bottle on my
MTB for shorter rides...

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old July 12th 08, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Doki wrote:

"Marc" wrote in message
Doki wrote:
Decided to go out on my mountain bike in the first time in *ages*
today. So of course, my camelbak has filled itself with black mould.
Had a go at cleaning it, but it was clearly going nowhere.

So instead I had a look under the sink, and found an old roadie
bottle. Quick rinse and it was ready to use...

Are any of hte other camelbakalikes (platypus) etc. any less of a
faff to keep clean and mould free?

they are all easy to keep clean, clean them when you come home and
then keep them in the freezer.

Eh? I don't want to faff around

keeping things in the freezer - oddly

Freezer= cold cupboard. Warm cupboard= your problem
How much "faff" is there in storing in one and no the other?

But **** you then, you asked for advice you got it.
Old July 12th 08, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:19:58 +0100
"Doki" wrote:

Decided to go out on my mountain bike in the first time in *ages*
today. So of course, my camelbak has filled itself with black mould.
Had a go at cleaning it, but it was clearly going nowhere.

All you have to do is put a drop of sterilising fluid in it before you
put it away, then rinse before you next use it.

Old July 12th 08, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doki

"Marc" wrote in message
Doki wrote:

"Marc" wrote in message
Doki wrote:
Decided to go out on my mountain bike in the first time in *ages*
today. So of course, my camelbak has filled itself with black mould.
Had a go at cleaning it, but it was clearly going nowhere.

So instead I had a look under the sink, and found an old roadie bottle.
Quick rinse and it was ready to use...

Are any of hte other camelbakalikes (platypus) etc. any less of a faff
to keep clean and mould free?

they are all easy to keep clean, clean them when you come home and then
keep them in the freezer.

Eh? I don't want to faff around

keeping things in the freezer - oddly

Freezer= cold cupboard. Warm cupboard= your problem
How much "faff" is there in storing in one and no the other?

But **** you then, you asked for advice you got it.

I did. Advice on camelbak alternatives. Because I know all about the various
ways of looking after a camelbak and can't be bothered with them...

Old July 12th 08, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Cheeky[_2_]

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 12:50:50 +0100, "Doki" wrote:

"Marc" wrote in message
Doki wrote:

"Marc" wrote in message
Doki wrote:
[...]

Er... you're going to have the same potential problem whichever brand
you choose. As Marc suggested the easiest thing is to rinse it then
stick it empty in the freezer. Problem solved.
Old July 12th 08, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

"Marc" wrote in message
Doki wrote:
"Marc" wrote in message
Doki wrote:
[...]

There is one brand that has one particular type that is a lot easier to
dry than the others, but I can't be bothered with faffing around going
to the freezer and moving all the food to find out what it's called.
Old July 13th 08, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

On 12/07/2008 10:25, Marc wrote:
they are all easy to keep clean, clean them when you come home and
then keep them in the freezer.

I tried that with my second bladder, after the first went manky. It did
a lovely job of keeping it clean. Unfortunately it also quickly did a
lovely job of causing a small but frustrating leak, where a corner of
the slightly harder square of plastic around the hose attachment nozzle
pierced the brittle, frozen plastic that makes up the bulk of the
bladder wall.

It took me a couple of years to find the leak (I don't use my Camelbak a
great deal) - I was convinced there was a dodgy seal around the filling
hole. I now have a third bladder, which (much to my wife's
satisfaction) will /not/ be living in the freezer.

--
Danny Colyer http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"The plural of anecdote is not data" - Frank Kotsonis