Wheel built and tested 32 hole hub, 24 hole rim.

Old January 31st 12, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Wheel built and tested 32 hole hub, 24 hole rim.

I got curious and bought:

.. a 32 hole Miche Primato road hub pair.
.. a Kinlin XR-300 24 hole rim.
.. some DT Competition spokes and nipples.

That came to $170 AUD.

I drew the lacing pattern using a CAD program. 3x on the drive side
with 16 spokes, and 1x (well kinda) on the non drive side with 8 spokes.
The CAD program allowed me to measure the spoke length in 2D, and I
accounted for the hub flange offset to get the real spoke length. It
turned out I've calculated the lengths about 1mm too long, but that's
not an issue on such a deep aero profile rim, and better than being too
short.

I assembled the wheel over the weekend. It went together easily enough.
Stupidly I'd swapped the quantities of left and right spokes in the
order, so after noticing this was relieved to find exactly the right
spokes that I needed to complete the build in my box of spares!

I don't have a wheel truing jig at home, so did my best with an old
frame and some patience and cunning. I reckon it's within 0.5mm
deviation from true in all respects.

Test ride last night. 60 km with some lumps and bumps, but nothing too
savage. The wheel is nice and round still when I got home. It tracked
well over the uneven ground, so Trevor will be pleased.

I guess the test will be if it can survive a few years of abuse! Only
time will tell.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5510267...in/photostream

I think it weighs about the same as my Ksyrium rear wheel, but more aero
I'd guess, and a lot cheaper.

The NDS spokes feel almost as tight as the DS spokes.

--
JS
Old February 1st 12, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Ace

On Jan 31, 2:03*pm, James wrote:
I got curious and bought:

. a 32 hole Miche Primato road hub pair.
. a Kinlin XR-300 24 hole rim.
. some DT Competition spokes and nipples.

I'm curious about a couple things.

I haven't seen one of those rims in person;
how much are the spoke holes angled toward
their respective flanges?

And do you have a pic of the whole wheel,
or a drawing of the spoking pattern? I'm
curious about how much torque (if any) the
two sides of the wheel put on the hub shell.

Tom Ace
Old February 1st 12, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 01/02/12 10:19, Tom Ace wrote:
On Jan 31, 2:03 pm, wrote:
I got curious and bought:

. a 32 hole Miche Primato road hub pair.
. a Kinlin XR-300 24 hole rim.
. some DT Competition spokes and nipples.

I'm curious about a couple things.

I haven't seen one of those rims in person;
how much are the spoke holes angled toward
their respective flanges?

It is quite an aero rim, with not much allowance for aiming the nipples
at the flanges, as far as I could tell. To be honest I didn't look very
hard at the spoke holes. Maybe I laced it up completely inappropriately!

And do you have a pic of the whole wheel,
or a drawing of the spoking pattern? I'm
curious about how much torque (if any) the
two sides of the wheel put on the hub shell.

I can post a GIF of the CAD drawing.

Old February 1st 12, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Jan 31, 6:12*pm, James wrote:
On 01/02/12 10:19, Tom Ace wrote:

On Jan 31, 2:03 pm, *wrote:
I got curious and bought:

. a 32 hole Miche Primato road hub pair.
. a Kinlin XR-300 24 hole rim.
. some DT Competition spokes and nipples.

I'm curious about a couple things.

I haven't seen one of those rims in person;
how much are the spoke holes angled toward
their respective flanges?

It is quite an aero rim, with not much allowance for aiming the nipples
at the flanges, as far as I could tell. *To be honest I didn't look very
hard at the spoke holes. *Maybe I laced it up completely inappropriately!

I believe I recall reading that all the Kinlins are drilled straight.
But I agree that the relatively deep XR300's could hardly be drilled
any other way. But if they are anything other than straight, and
alternate, you couldn't have every spoke angled "right" anyhow.

I built some wheels with the XR-300's and thought they were very good.
They have also held up well. Did you find, as I did, that the
stiffness of the rim and fewer spokes makes it VERY easy to get the
wheel true? None of that endless chasing of little wiggles that seems
to haunt high spoke counts and flimsier rims.

And do you have a pic of the whole wheel,
or a drawing of the spoking pattern? *I'm
curious about how much torque (if any) the
two sides of the wheel put on the hub shell.

I can post a GIF of the CAD drawing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5510267...in/photostream

Well done.
DR
Old February 1st 12, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dark Helmet

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 09:03:42 +1100, James
wrote:

[...]

60k and you are talking about years of longevity? I usually do close
to 60k a DAY from mid-march to mid-november. That's not all that far,
and my city streets are like exploded mine fields with potholes and
pothole rubble.

Report back on how well it works after several months and several
thousand miles and then all can help you be a judge on its success.
Old February 1st 12, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

REALLY JAMES ! a wood dishing/assembly beam and the mistakes would
not and would have been a continuous work of art. right ?

for us street level folk...why 170 Aud on a 32/24 aero ?

Old February 1st 12, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 01/02/12 13:02, DirtRoadie wrote:
On Jan 31, 6:12 pm, wrote:
On 01/02/12 10:19, Tom Ace wrote:

On Jan 31, 2:03 pm, wrote:
I got curious and bought:

. a 32 hole Miche Primato road hub pair.
. a Kinlin XR-300 24 hole rim.
. some DT Competition spokes and nipples.

I'm curious about a couple things.

I haven't seen one of those rims in person;
how much are the spoke holes angled toward
their respective flanges?

It is quite an aero rim, with not much allowance for aiming the nipples
at the flanges, as far as I could tell. To be honest I didn't look very
hard at the spoke holes. Maybe I laced it up completely inappropriately!

I believe I recall reading that all the Kinlins are drilled straight.
But I agree that the relatively deep XR300's could hardly be drilled
any other way. But if they are anything other than straight, and
alternate, you couldn't have every spoke angled "right" anyhow.

Indeed!

I built some wheels with the XR-300's and thought they were very good.
They have also held up well.

That's encouraging. They've reviewed well. I was thinking of using the
XR-270 for a front wheel on the Miche hub, possibly with bladed spokes.
Not sure about going radial. I haven't found anywhere that says the
Miche hubs are good for it or not.

Did you find, as I did, that the
stiffness of the rim and fewer spokes makes it VERY easy to get the
wheel true? None of that endless chasing of little wiggles that seems
to haunt high spoke counts and flimsier rims.

I haven't built a wheel for many years, and my wheels haven't needed
truing often, so I'm not really qualified to say, but it certainly
wasn't difficult to true, and to pull the whole wheel one way or the
other is pretty easy with only 8 spokes on one side ;-)

--
JS.
Old February 1st 12, 04:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

[...]

The days of 20,000km per annum are long behind me. These days I manage
between 10,000 and 11,000 km annually. My front Mavic OpenPro Ceramic
has been in use for over 10 years, and shows no signs of fatigue or
wear. I haven't been so lucky with rear wheels. I seem to hit one too
many bumps, or have a crash in a race and ding the rim so it gets
retired before reaching the 100,000 km mark.

Report back on how well it works after several months and several
thousand miles and then all can help you be a judge on its success.

If it survives a few years of training and racing, I'll be happy.

--
JS.
Old February 1st 12, 10:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Ace

On Jan 31, 5:12*pm, James wrote:

And do you have a pic of the whole wheel,
or a drawing of the spoking pattern? *I'm
curious about how much torque (if any) the
two sides of the wheel put on the hub shell.

I can post a GIF of the CAD drawing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5510267...in/photostream

Thanks for posting that. It answered the question
I had (there is no unwanted torque on the hub).

Tom Ace
Old February 1st 12, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Feb 1, 2:54*am, kolldata wrote:
REALLY JAMES ! *a wood dishing/assembly beam and the mistakes would
not and would have been a continuous work of art. right ?

for us street level folk...why 170 Aud on a 32/24 aero ?

Shhh, he's scared of soldering.