Speeding cyclists

Old February 23rd 04, 10:13 AM
Colin Blackburn

Default Speeding cyclists

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:27:35 -0000, MSeries
wrote:

vernon levy wrote:
Wheres Killhope Moor ? BTW

NW Durham near Stanhope. You'll have been pretty close to it on the
C2C.

Vernon

Is it the one out of Stanhope to the moor, where the Rookhope wagonway
meets
the road. I missed the turn in Rookhope, some other cyclists were stood
in
front of the sign, and ended up riding up that very steep hill out of
Stanhope.

The Rookhope incline (the wagonway) is as steep as the road option,
Crawleyside Bank, but a damn sight rougher. If you are on a road bike then
the Bank is the better option, though the gated road from Rookhope to
Stanhope gets you off the main road.

Colin
Old February 23rd 04, 10:17 AM
Colin Blackburn

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:05:18 -0000, vernon levy wrote:

Is it the one out of Stanhope to the moor, where the Rookhope wagonway

meets
the road. I missed the turn in Rookhope, some other cyclists were stood
in
front of the sign, and ended up riding up that very steep hill out of
Stanhope.

on the C2C climbing out of Nenthead you'd ordinarily take a left turn to
Allenheads before reaching the Killhope Summit and Killhope Moor on the
A689. The whole
area; Tynedale and Weardale has some great challenging roads thar are
quite
lightly used. Looking at the road maps of the area has go my yearning
for a
few days riding and camping in the area.

It is a fantastic area, I'm lucky enough to live in the north Pennines.
There are some very nice quiet roads and some great hills. Take care
though on the roads that directly connect places like Stanhope and Hexham,
Stanhop and Consett, etc as these can be narrow, winding and with lots of
dips yet they are fast with a lot of dangerous overtaking from car drivers.

Colin
Old February 23rd 04, 10:20 AM
Colin Blackburn

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:09:28 -0000, MSeries
wrote:

vernon levy wrote:
The whole
area; Tynedale and Weardale has some great challenging roads thar are
quite lightly used. Looking at the road maps of the area has go my
yearning for a few days riding and camping in the area.

Mmm, a possibility for Easter maybe, instead of the Dales.

If anyone is cycling in that area and they fancy stopping for a cuppa at
my place (on a small road between Blanchland and Rookhope) then just let
us know by email beforehand and if I'm in you'd be most welcome to stop
by. I should also promote the White Monk tearooms down in Blanchland as a
stop---though avoid summer weekends.

Colin
Old February 23rd 04, 10:21 AM
David Nutter

Colin Blackburn said:

It is a fantastic area, I'm lucky enough to live in the north Pennines.
There are some very nice quiet roads and some great hills. Take care
though on the roads that directly connect places like Stanhope and Hexham,
Stanhop and Consett, etc as these can be narrow, winding and with lots of
dips yet they are fast with a lot of dangerous overtaking from car drivers.

Also, when I was last up there, Northumbrian Water goons erecting temporary
traffic lights & digging big holes in inconvenient places.

Regards,

-david
Old February 23rd 04, 11:02 AM
MSeries

wrote:

vernon levy wrote:
Wheres Killhope Moor ? BTW

NW Durham near Stanhope. You'll have been pretty close to it on the
C2C.

Vernon

Is it the one out of Stanhope to the moor, where the Rookhope
wagonway meets
the road. I missed the turn in Rookhope, some other cyclists were
stood in
front of the sign, and ended up riding up that very steep hill out of
Stanhope.

The Rookhope incline (the wagonway) is as steep as the road option,
Crawleyside Bank, but a damn sight rougher. If you are on a road bike
then the Bank is the better option, though the gated road from
Rookhope to Stanhope gets you off the main road.

Colin

Yes, the second time I did C2C we took the wagonway, many riders found it
too much and walked.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.
http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

Old February 23rd 04, 11:02 AM
MSeries

wrote:

vernon levy wrote:
The whole
area; Tynedale and Weardale has some great challenging roads thar
are quite lightly used. Looking at the road maps of the area has
go my yearning for a few days riding and camping in the area.

Mmm, a possibility for Easter maybe, instead of the Dales.

If anyone is cycling in that area and they fancy stopping for a cuppa
at my place (on a small road between Blanchland and Rookhope) then
just let us know by email beforehand and if I'm in you'd be most
welcome to stop by. I should also promote the White Monk tearooms
down in Blanchland as a stop---though avoid summer weekends.

Colin

Thats a kind offer. Cheeers.

Old February 23rd 04, 11:18 AM
Tony Raven

Gareth A. wrote:

What's the stopping distance for a bicycle at 30mph?

About 30m (based on 0.4G deceleration) cf 23m for a car (according to the
Highway Code)

Tony

Old February 23rd 04, 11:45 AM
Dave Larrington

Mr. Edwards is an ignorant fool. I strongly advise having nothing
whatsoever to do with him...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old February 23rd 04, 11:46 AM
Dave Larrington

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

Going up to the North Pennines in April. I reckon I should be able to
join the 100km/h (62.14mph) club coming off Killhope Moor :-)

I managed 64.5 mph there once, but that was on a part-faired recumbent. I
reckon most bikes would top out at around 50-55. Last time I was there I
only hit 70 km/h coz it was raining. :-(

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old February 23rd 04, 11:55 AM
Dave Larrington

Gareth A. wrote:

I would be interested to know the locations of speed cameras where you
think is safe for cyclists to exceed the camera's trigger speed...

There's one about he

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...=newsearch.srf

Not too much of a problem to reach the speed at which it ought to go off
when cruising merrily down the bus lane. It's never gone off for me though.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Road or Sidewalk? K-Man General 74 June 19th 04 12:26 AM
Convincing people to use helmets Oliver Keating UK 391 February 25th 04 11:50 AM
Mutual respect - long-ish vernon levy UK 4 January 31st 04 07:04 PM
Drivers want road test for cyclists (Observer article) David Cowie UK 8 January 21st 04 08:57 PM
"speeding cyclists on towpath" Paul Luton UK 68 January 6th 04 07:17 AM