Best book for do-it-yourself bicycle repair

Old August 30th 06, 09:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Hardin

Default Best book for do-it-yourself bicycle repair

Cuthbertson used to be a good one, but the modernized version has too
many ``take it to the bike shop'' solutions.

I imagine it's still fine for old bikes, but is not likely to be
helpful with what you've probably got today.
--
Ron Hardin

Old September 1st 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Taylor

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:50:20 -0500, Collin O'Neill
wrote:

Pat in TX wrote:
This might seem like a dumb question for you, but it has been bothering me
for awhile. When someone says to turn the cable adjuster one half turn
counter clockwise, how is the person oriented? If I am on my bike and reach
down with my right hand and turn the adjuster counter clockwise, that's
clockwise to someone standing in front of the bike. So, can you tell me
which is it? Are those directions understood to be used by someone standing
facing the front of the bike? Thanks,

Pat in TX

Usually counter-clockwise and clockwise directions assume the (home)
mechanic is facing the head of the screw or bolt. Where you are seated
is irrelevant. In the case of the cable adjuster, the part that rotates
is the bolt, so looking down at the top of the adjuster is where you
would be turning it counter-clockwise per the instructions.

This works because almost all screws and bolts go in clockwise. There
are understandable exceptions like bottom brackets.

Easier to remember than "screw in clockwise, unscrew counterclockwise"
-for those of us who are dyslexic - is the age old mantra: "righty
tighty, lefty loosey."

One other point: there are usually two barrel adjusters for the rear
derailleur, one attached to the derailleur and one attached to the
left side of the frame. The one attached to the frame enables you to
adjust cable tension while you are riding. Since when you are riding,
you are therefore not facing the head of the frame barrel adjuster,
but rather are "behind" it, you will have to remember to turn the
adjuster in the opposite direction: "righty loosey, lefty tighty."
Same as when adjusting spoke nipples on a truing stand.
Old September 1st 06, 01:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N.O.Body

" wrote in
ups.com:

The Barnett Bicycle Institute makes their shop manual available for
purchase. The CD version is $85.

www.bbinstitute.com

Previous versions of their manual are floating around the web for
download.

Tom

And I believe if you can't find it on any of the binaries.e-book newgroups,
you're just not trying.