seat cover for rain?

Old June 18th 08, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Default seat cover for rain?

bugbear wrote:
I have a leather saddle on my commute bike,
and nowhere (under cover) at work to store it :-(

I like my saddle, and would like
to both keep it, and keep it in good condition.

I presently use the hallowed technique
of a carrier bag, tied under the seat by its
handles.

This works OK, but the carrier bags only
last around 2-3 weeks, before the handles fall
off.

A carrier bag has the bonus of making your bike look tatty, thus less
attractive to tea leaves.

In any case, it's never very secure, and the bag
has come off in high winds.

No bag or pocket to put it in?

Does any have a recommendation for
a better leather-seat-rain-protector?

Shower cap.

~PB

Old June 18th 08, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

I scribbled:
In any case, it's never very secure, and the bag
has come off in high winds.

No bag or pocket to put it in?

Please ignore that. (You must mean it comes off when covering the saddle).

~PB

Old June 18th 08, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

I have a leather saddle on my commute bike,
and nowhere (under cover) at work to store it :-(

I like my saddle, and would like
to both keep it, and keep it in good condition.

I presently use the hallowed technique
of a carrier bag, tied under the seat by its
handles.

This works OK, but the carrier bags only
last around 2-3 weeks, before the handles fall
off.

In any case, it's never very secure, and the bag
has come off in high winds.

Does any have a recommendation for
a better leather-seat-rain-protector?

In my mind I'm half seeing something "drawstringy"
that encloses the saddle (as opposed
to the carrier bag which just kind of sits there)

BugBear
Old June 18th 08, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave

"bugbear" wrote in message
I have a leather saddle on my commute bike,
and nowhere (under cover) at work to store it :-(

I like my saddle, and would like
to both keep it, and keep it in good condition.

I presently use the hallowed technique
of a carrier bag, tied under the seat by its
handles.

This works OK, but the carrier bags only
last around 2-3 weeks, before the handles fall
off.

In any case, it's never very secure, and the bag
has come off in high winds.

Does any have a recommendation for
a better leather-seat-rain-protector?

In my mind I'm half seeing something "drawstringy"
that encloses the saddle (as opposed
to the carrier bag which just kind of sits there)

BugBear

Problem is that anything drawstrinny is likely to be fabric that may not be
waterproof or if it is costs too buch.

Why not get an old rain coat (cogoul) and knock something up.

You could also gets a re-usable cable tie and continue to use the carrier.

Dave

Old June 18th 08, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Fox[_5_]

Shower cap.
Is the right answer. Look in Boots, ever so cheap.

--
Peter (Prof) Fox
Multitude of things for beer, cycling, Morris and curiosities at

Old June 18th 08, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steve C[_2_]

bugbear wrote:
I have a leather saddle on my commute bike,
and nowhere (under cover) at work to store it :-(

I like my saddle, and would like
to both keep it, and keep it in good condition.

Does any have a recommendation for
a better leather-seat-rain-protector?

In my mind I'm half seeing something "drawstringy"
that encloses the saddle (as opposed
to the carrier bag which just kind of sits there)

BugBear

Brooks do one
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=11678
Old June 18th 08, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Steve C wrote:
Brooks do one
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=11678

Hmm. I note that of the 3 features, one "feature" is

" Printed Brooks logo "

;-)

Looks like a decent cover though. Thanks.

BugBear
Old June 18th 08, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ben Micklem

in article net, bugbear at
_trim wrote on 18/6/08 17:16:

Steve C wrote:
Brooks do one
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=11678

Hmm. I note that of the 3 features, one "feature" is

" Printed Brooks logo "

;-)

Looks like a decent cover though. Thanks.

BugBear

I was just about to recommend the same Brooks one. I have one, and it is
quite nice, and does the job very well.

I'm not entirely sure whether the velcro loop it so keep the cover on when
in use (it also has an elastic drawstring that does this perfectly well), or
for attaching it somewhere while not in use.

Old June 18th 08, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Steve C wrote:
bugbear wrote:
I have a leather saddle on my commute bike,
and nowhere (under cover) at work to store it :-(

I like my saddle, and would like
to both keep it, and keep it in good condition.

Does any have a recommendation for
a better leather-seat-rain-protector?

In my mind I'm half seeing something "drawstringy"
that encloses the saddle (as opposed
to the carrier bag which just kind of sits there)

BugBear

Brooks do one
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=11678

How did they manage to design it to look so ugly?
Old June 18th 08, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:43:53 +0100, Marc
said in
:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=11678

How did they manage to design it to look so ugly?

It looks fine when fitted to a B17.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk