Prayer request

Old June 3rd 20, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Prayer request

On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 15:54:15 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 3:49:03 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 15:17:30 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 3:12:28 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 10:13:42 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 7:46:41 AM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:
Andy wrote:
On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 12:09:47 AM UTC-5, Ralph Barone wrote:
Andy wrote:
It grieves me about all the violence occurring as the result of many police
activities resulting in the deaths of people in the U.S.

Killing of innocent people by police is evil.

Great though they may be, God actively restrains the test and temptations
that come our way so that we will not experience anything greater than we can bear.
(see 1 Corinthians 10:13)

Fatal car and airplane accidents bring awful devastation, but
statistically these are rare. On January 15, 2009, what should have
brought certain death to passengers aboard Flight 1549, and catastrophe
to Manhattan, turned into what secular reporters labeled a "miracle". The
pilot, Chesley Sullenbeger, safely landed a crippled plane in New York's
Hudson river, with no serious injuries.

While chunks of ice and busy ferries filled most of the river, the
place where the plane came down remained clear of both ice and boats. It
landed without breaking apart.

Ferryboat captains rescued all 155 people from the frigid river within minutes.

The New York Times suggested "more than luck" brought brought the plane down
mere minutes from experts trained in water rescues. Passengers who said
they hadn't believed in God nevertheless prayed to him on the plane, then
publicly thanked him for sparing their lives.

I tell this story to raise a question. Is it not likely that a kind and
all powerful God routinely prevents terrible tragedies in ways that we do
not see and therefore do not credit as miracles?

While the miracle of Flight 1549 appears to be the exception, not the
rule, we cannot know about the most of the equally miraculous interventions of God that
may have invisibly prevented other tragedies. Perhaps one day we'll hear
those stories and marvel at how God intervened when we imagined him
uninvolved in our world.

I ask that you pray that people will realize that their Creator loves them.

Thanks,
Andy

My thoughts on the topic are closer to Andy Partridge’s than they are to
yours.

https://youtu.be/p554R-Jq43A

Well Ralph, you are entitled to your beliefs.

The video offers no hope.

It's a eat drink and be merry, and then we die.

That's quite sad.

It is interesting that you are the only one to remark about my post.

That in itself says volumes.

I on the other hand have hope.

I know that life on Earth is not all there is.

That is in spite that for over 30 years, I HAD level 9 neck pain 24 hrs a day.

If you have been to a hospital, you may have seen the pain chart showing
the characteristics of the 10 levels of pain.

God answered my prayer last year. :-)

Andy

And you are entitled to your beliefs as well. My personal hypothesis is
that religion evolved to provide a shortcut to ethical behaviour in society
(follow these rules on how people must be treated or an invisible man in
the sky will smite you). If you can independently arrive at reasons to be
ethical and treat people well, then you don’t need religion. I am glad that
your neck pain is gone, although, as with Job, I do wonder why a kind and
just God would be so unkind to his chosen ones.

PS: Hope can be found in the absence of a supreme being. You just need to
take matters into your own hands a bit more.

Ralph, you are completely welcome to your beliefs but at the last moment like the two thieves on either side of Christ on the cross you are going to be asked to believe. And the maker will know if you're just trying to dodge the bullet.

Presupposing that there is a "Maker". And, if there is he is
apparently the God of the Jews, the Moslems and the Christians so it
may get sort of crowded.
--
cheers,

John B.

You will never have to worry about it. you will be spending eternity with the rests of the ashes in the Lake of Fire.

Yes, that is what a minority of the earth's population believe. About
30% if I remember correctly.
--
cheers,

John B.

Right up there aren't you? Just Christianity is 31.4% of he world's population and Islam is nearly that large. Both religions know where you're directed to.

Don't forget that you are worshiping the God of the Jews, who have a
contract with him/her/it. Do the Muslims and Christians have a formal
agreement with God?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 5th 20, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Andy wrote:
[...]

Is there some reason you suddenly change your tune? The English speaking world is almost entirely Christian with a small number of immigrant Muslims. They are all people of the book.

Tell us the "contract" the Jews have with God and why the Christians also do not. We will wait for you to try to deposit your next pile of original sin.
Old June 5th 20, 12:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Andy wrote:
[...]

Gee, and I thought that you had read the Bible. But since you
apparently haven't, Moses went up on the mountain and the God of
Abraham made a deal with him and the contract was written on tablets
of stone:

"And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him
upon mount Sinai, the two tables of the testimony, tables of stone,
written with the finger of God." Exodus 31:18

Do the Christians have such a contract?

Quite the contrary, and in fact these newly hatched Christians have
been persecuting and murdering the people that The God of Abraham
contracted with as his chosen people for more than a thousand years.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 5th 20, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Andy wrote:
[...]

Better than a contract with God; the Lateran Treaty with
Mussolini.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 5th 20, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Andy wrote:
[...]

Right. Established their own country, so to speak.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 5th 20, 03:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

Andy wrote:
[...]

Do you think that God may have a reason for being unkind that we don't know or would not understand if he told us?

Where do people get the notion of helping others and other sacrificial behaviors toward others?

In the animal world, it's is survival of the fittest.

You won't see lions around a campfire feeling bad about eating an antelope.

Andy
Old June 5th 20, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

Andy wrote:
[...]

If Ralph did believe at the last minute, he would go to heaven.

However, what we do in heaven is dependent on what we did on Earth.

Everyone in heaven is not equally rewarded.

Andy
Old June 5th 20, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 1:26:46 PM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
On 2020-05-30 21:52, Andy wrote:
[...]

There are more miracles happening today than people realize. They do not
have to be that "big" but they are big for the people affected. Like a
friend who was supposed to die within three months. Melanoma that has
spread into the liver is usually fatal, and fast. She lived two more
quite happy years, then passed away peacefully in the arms of her daughter.

While the miracle of Flight 1549 appears to be the exception, not the
rule, we cannot know about the most of the equally miraculous
interventions of God that may have invisibly prevented other
tragedies. Perhaps one day we'll hear those stories and marvel at how
God intervened when we imagined him uninvolved in our world.

I ask that you pray that people will realize that their Creator loves
them.

I do that every night. Also for people and families who have be wronged
badly to some day be able to forgive.

May God bless you.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

+

Andy
Old June 5th 20, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

Andy wrote:
[...]

I'd be happy to take part in this discussion. But it would have to be
elsewhere.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Name a place and I will post there.

Andy
Old June 5th 20, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Andy wrote:
[...]

Sure, I can imagine an omnipotent being being capable of thinking things I
couldn’t understand. However, at some point you become the equivalent of
God’s goldfish. Do you get mad because your goldfish doesn’t believe in
you? Would you punish your goldfish to eternal damnation because it
refused to accept you as his God?

Where do people get the notion of helping others and other sacrificial
behaviors toward others?

It’s a logical leap in smaller cultures to understand that acting against
the best interests of the tribe is eventually bad for you. It’s a bit
harder to make that leap in modern culture because the feedback loops are
longer, but any animal capable of logical thought can deduce ethics from
observation.

In the animal world, it's is survival of the fittest.

Or not. https://www.livingwithwolves.org/abo...s/social-wolf/

You won't see lions around a campfire feeling bad about eating an antelope.

Apropos of nothing. I’m sure the Pope eats meat too.

Andy

A Dog's Prayer Simon Jester UK 0 September 20th 19 09:58 PM
Nativity Prayer of St. Augustine Claire Towny UK 4 December 25th 09 09:25 PM
Chalkbot is as worthless as prayer. Anton Berlin Racing 3 July 8th 09 09:25 PM
A short prayer.... Callistus Valerius Racing 8 June 12th 07 02:46 PM
The Cyclists Prayer Mark Johnson UK 3 March 9th 05 08:24 PM