Fixed BB cup removal

Old March 20th 04, 03:09 AM
David L. Johnson

Default Fixed BB cup removal

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 02:31:48 +0000, carlfogel wrote:

To get back to the question (even though that is a nice vice), Rick: you
definitely need some sort of vice for this. The Raleigh, one would hope,
would have English threads (stands to reason), which means that cup has
left-hand threads.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | ...nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or
_`\(,_ | property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person
(_)/ (_) | within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. --
Fourteenth Amendment to the U. S. Constitution.

Old March 20th 04, 04:15 AM

David L. Johnson writes:

To get back to the question (even though that is a nice vice), Rick:
you definitely need some sort of vice for this. The Raleigh, one
would hope, would have English threads (stands to reason), which
means that cup has left-hand threads.

I think we should leave such legal sins for the vice squad, while we
use a vise in the shop to loosen right hand BB cup... all the while
noticing whether it has a right or left hand thread. Watching for
this helps enormously.

Jobst Brandt

Old March 20th 04, 07:24 PM
A Muzi

David L. Johnson wrote:
To get back to the question (even though that is a nice vice), Rick: you
definitely need some sort of vice for this. The Raleigh, one would hope,
would have English threads (stands to reason), which means that cup has
left-hand threads.

The proper tool bolts through the frame and is driven with a
1-1/8" wrench. No vise.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old March 22nd 04, 12:03 AM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

Carl Fogel wrote:

Dear Rick,

You lucky devil! This sounds like a
perfect opportunity to invest in one of
these vises, which rotate in two planes:

=A0=A0=A0=A0http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctafDisplayitem.taf?itemnumb=

er=3D5655

It's a bit like a bicycle workstand.
Mount it on the corner of a workbench,
and little will defeat it. I bought mine a
few years ago when my old vise mistook
me for Chalo Colina and broke. Couldn't
be happier.

Nice looking vice! I just may invest in one of those myself! Good bye,
Wilton!

- -
"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old March 22nd 04, 03:04 PM
David Damerell

wrote:
I think we should leave such legal sins for the vice squad, while we
use a vise in the shop to loosen right hand BB cup...

In American English, sure, but over here it's a vice.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!

Old March 23rd 04, 01:53 AM
Tom Sherman

David Damerell wrote:

wrote:

I think we should leave such legal sins for the vice squad, while we
use a vise in the shop to loosen right hand BB cup...

In American English, sure, but over here it's a vice.

Therefore, moral Englishmen use cartridge bottom brackets.