Wrapping Road Bars with Tape ?

Old October 10th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Aman

Default Wrapping Road Bars with Tape ?

Hi,

I have done this many times, but it has been a while.
When wrapping road bars with tape, I know to start at the
bottom, but I forgot which side should go clockwise around,
and which counter-clockwise. Anybody know?

I guess the idea behind this is that the tape stays
wrapped better when done correctly.

Thanks, Alex

Old October 10th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
me

"Aman" wrote in message
Hi,

I have done this many times, but it has been a while.
When wrapping road bars with tape, I know to start at the
bottom, but I forgot which side should go clockwise around,
and which counter-clockwise. Anybody know?

I guess the idea behind this is that the tape stays
wrapped better when done correctly.

Thanks, Alex

The Park Tool site gives a good description of one method.
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=71

Cal

Old October 10th 06, 08:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"me" wrote in message
. ..

"Aman" wrote in message
Hi,

I have done this many times, but it has been a while.
When wrapping road bars with tape, I know to start at the
bottom, but I forgot which side should go clockwise around,
and which counter-clockwise. Anybody know?

I guess the idea behind this is that the tape stays
wrapped better when done correctly.

Thanks, Alex

The Park Tool site gives a good description of one method.
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=71

Cal

Electrical tape tends to shrink over time plus it can be pushed to one
side or the other. Both situations expose the black sticky adhesive
which is messy and hard to remove from a lot of different materials.

I've always started at the top near the stem and wrapped the tape
towards the ends of the drops. I grab the top of the bars more than at
the ends of the drops and the tape is less likely to loosen in that area
buy starting at the top.

Chas.

Old October 10th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Alex Hansen writes:

I have done this many times, but it has been a while. When wrapping
road bars with tape, I know to start at the bottom, but I forgot
which side should go clockwise around, and which
counter-clockwise. Anybody know?

To prevent unwrapping, bar tape should be wrapped in the direction the
thumb pushed when holding the bar. This is the direction that the hand
puts torque on the bar.

Jobst Brandt
Old October 10th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Alex Hansen writes:

I have done this many times, but it has been a while. When wrapping
road bars with tape, I know to start at the bottom, but I forgot
which side should go clockwise around, and which
counter-clockwise. Anybody know?

To prevent unwrapping, bar tape should be wrapped in the direction the
thumb pushed when holding the bar. This is the direction that the hand
puts torque on the bar.

The reason for starting at the bottom is to have the exposed edge of
tape overlap act like a shingle roof, in the direction of flow of the
hand force. Without that the edges tend to curl, especially at the
upper curve of the bar when riding on the tops while climbing or just
cruising.

Jobst Brandt
Old October 10th 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article

wm.edu,
Aman wrote:

Hi,

I have done this many times, but it has been a while.
When wrapping road bars with tape, I know to start at the
bottom, but I forgot which side should go clockwise around,
and which counter-clockwise. Anybody know?

I guess the idea behind this is that the tape stays
wrapped better when done correctly.

I wrap from the stem because I do not want sticky tape
there. I also ignore direction. The tape last just as
long, then I replace it again.