teflon tape of grease?

Old November 18th 10, 12:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_2_]

Default teflon tape of grease?

I see some recommend Teflon tape for BB cups but would grease be better, or
something else?

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Church

Old November 18th 10, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TheCoz

On Nov 18, 6:00*am, "Mark Cleary" wrote:
I see some recommend Teflon tape for BB cups but would grease be better, or
something else?

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Church

Mark,
I have used both. My issue was the dreaded BB "creaking" sound. I ride
Cannondale road bikes and they are notorious for that problem.
So, if you are just wondering what to use best for assembly purpose, I
would recommend using grease. Also, be sure the facing on the BB shell
is clean and free from rough edging and paint along with making sure
the threads are clean. Just be sure it has a good smooth surface
before installing the BB cups (or cartridge) which ever you are going
to be using. The teflon tape works ok. But form my experience the
grease seems to help eliminate the creaking noise from that area for
longer periods. Also, periodically, maybe once a year, it would be
good to take the BB apart and redo the instillation with new grease
(or tape). I am sure some will say there is no need to do yearly
maintainance on this, but I tend to do this for smooth operating
purposes. Obviously, if you were to ride in bad conditions, such as a
rain down pour, or extreme mud, it would be a good idea to do this
procedure. Besides, I enjoy working on my bikes.
Cheers,
Coz
Old November 18th 10, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

grease is sooooo 19th century. Blue Loctitie. grease adsorbs water and
often carries water as the manu process wasn't sufficient.
are plastic BB's removeable for sevice ?

Old November 18th 10, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Nov 18, 7:00*am, "Mark Cleary" wrote:
I see some recommend Teflon tape for BB cups but would grease be better, or
something else?

On my creaking Cannondale BB, teflon tape did the trick. It's lasted
many many years.

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 18th 10, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Nov 18, 6:00*am, "Mark Cleary" wrote:
I see some recommend Teflon tape for BB cups but would grease be better, or
something else?

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Church

Whatever works. Use a torque wrench. Should be around 45nM.
Old November 18th 10, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Nov 18, 9:20*am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Nov 18, 7:00*am, "Mark Cleary" wrote:

I see some recommend Teflon tape for BB cups but would grease be better, or
something else?

On my creaking Cannondale BB, teflon tape did the trick. *It's lasted
many many years.

Ditto. I also learned that a lot of creaking was not coming from the
BB. -- Jay Beattie.
Old November 18th 10, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Nov 18, 12:00*pm, "Mark Cleary" wrote:
I see some recommend Teflon tape for BB cups but would grease be better, or
something else?

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Church

Metal cups, use a mineral oil and the proper tool to correct torque
specification. Plastic cups, use castor oil or silicon oil again to
correct torque specification.
Old November 18th 10, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Nov 18, 5:53*pm, landotter wrote:
On Nov 18, 6:00*am, "Mark Cleary" wrote:

I see some recommend Teflon tape for BB cups but would grease be better, or
something else?

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Church

Whatever works. Use a torque wrench. Should be around 45nM.

45nM for what assembly. This is a remarkedly low figure for a BSA
type bearing. For that applicaation it's another stand on the long
spanner kinda torque, at least for the fixed cup and probably nearly
so with the lockring.
Old November 19th 10, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

=====
Ditto. I also learned that a lot of creaking was not coming from the
BB. -- Jay Beattie.
=====

Front derailleur clamps, saddle rails, front quick releases, handlebars
(including lever attachments), cracked chainring bolts, small cracks in rims
at the rim/nipple interface...

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old November 19th 10, 01:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Nov 18, 9:20 am, Frank Krygowski wrote: On Nov 18, 7:00 am, "Mark Cleary" wrote:

I see some recommend Teflon tape for BB cups but would grease be better,
or
something else?

On my creaking Cannondale BB, teflon tape did the trick. It's lasted
many many years.

=====
Ditto. *I also learned that a lot of creaking was not coming from the
BB. -- Jay Beattie.
=====

Front derailleur clamps, saddle rails, front quick releases, handlebars
(including lever attachments), cracked chainring bolts, small cracks in rims
at the rim/nipple interface...

For me, rear dropout/axle nut interface -- sounds just like BB
clicking/creaking..-- Jay Beattie.