Claim your lane, says IAM. (You and Yours - Radio 4 Monday)

Old January 3rd 11, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
al Mossah[_2_]

Default Claim your lane, says IAM. (You and Yours - Radio 4 Monday)

On You and Yours today (Monday) there was a feature on cycling (37mins
15 secs to 45:28).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console...urs_03_01_2011
In it Duncan Pickering, cycling development officer of the Institute
for Advanced Motorists urgerd cyclists to do the following:

1 Be visible
2. Ride at least 1m from the kerb
3. "When approaching a manouevre, what we ask is that cyclists move
out even further".

The advice is backed up on their website here under the title "Claim
your lane says IAM".
http://www.iam.org.uk/latest_news/cy...nesaysiam.html

Just so that I'm not accused of cherry picking, there was also strong
advice to obey red lights, to have a bell, to use lights and not to go
up the inside of large vehicles.

Brilliant advice from a motoring organisation. In particular it's
refreshing to hear the call for cyclists to come out of the gutter to
a position where they can be seen.

Old January 3rd 11, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jolly polly

"al Mossah" wrote in message
[...]

Good advice
the 1 metre from the kerb sounds better than the 'about 1/2 metre' stated in
the older IAM webpage
IMHO

Old January 4th 11, 03:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JMS

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 12:50:31 -0800 (PST), al Mossah
wrote:

[...]

Usual psycholist lack of accuracy

"Our advice to cyclists, based on a comprehensive study, is to stay
near to the kerb on long even stretches"

Old January 4th 11, 03:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

1m is near to the kerb.

It is of note that they don't recommend the sort of cycling that Mr
Jackson demonstrates in his videos.
Old January 4th 11, 06:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Jan 3, 8:50*pm, al Mossah wrote:
[...]

I ride about 1 metre out from the kerb, unless I am about to turn
right. This is not the middle of the lane, nor in the gutter, and
normally allows plenty of room for drivers to easily overtake.

Derek C
Old January 4th 11, 06:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
NM

[...]

'cept if they are not seen they are even more vulnerable. My friend
went out yesterday for the first time in his motorised wheelchair, two
bright lights to the front 2 very bright red LED's yet to approaching
vehicles he may as well have been invisible, lots of last minute
brakes.
Old January 4th 11, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 04/01/2011 06:45, NM wrote:
On Jan 3, 8:50 pm, al wrote:
[...]

Was he in the middle of the road?

Old January 4th 11, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
NM

On Jan 4, 8:06*am, JNugent wrote:
On 04/01/2011 06:45, NM wrote:

On Jan 3, 8:50 pm, al *wrote:
[...]

He was about a half meter or so out and about the same speed as a
cycle, I started with him, I was walking on the pavement, he left me
behind. We were on a level, well lit, urban road. He couldn't really
get much closer to the kerb because of the poor quality of the surface
close to the edge this may not have been such a problem for a cycle.
Old January 4th 11, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
al Mossah[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

My points were what Mr Pickering said. Point 3 is a verbatim quote
from the programme. No lack of accuracy.
Old January 4th 11, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
DavidR[_2_]

"NM" wrote in message news:4084aaeb-

'cept if they are not seen they are even more vulnerable. My friend
went out yesterday for the first time in his motorised wheelchair, two
bright lights to the front 2 very bright red LED's yet to approaching
vehicles he may as well have been invisible, lots of last minute
brakes.

If it was daylight, why the lights? Confusing.