Cross over handlebar tape wrapping

Old January 1st 05, 09:19 AM
MSeries

Default Cross over handlebar tape wrapping

Some time ago I stumbled across a site that showed one how to use two
(preferably contrasting) colours of bar tap to wrap one bars in a sort
of cheque design, crossing each tape. I can't find the link now, any clues ?
Old January 1st 05, 09:41 AM
Mark McNeill

Response to MSeries:
Some time ago I stumbled across a site that showed one how to use two
(preferably contrasting) colours of bar tap to wrap one bars in a sort
of cheque design, crossing each tape. I can't find the link now, any clues ?

Could be Rivendell's
http://rivbike.com/html/rr_handlebar.html

though ISTR seeing another site with a photo of more pronounced contrast
between the two tapes.

--
Mark, UK.

On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of
confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Old January 1st 05, 09:43 AM
MSeries

Mark McNeill wrote:
Response to MSeries:

Some time ago I stumbled across a site that showed one how to use two
(preferably contrasting) colours of bar tap to wrap one bars in a sort
of cheque design, crossing each tape. I can't find the link now, any clues ?

Could be Rivendell's
http://rivbike.com/html/rr_handlebar.html

though ISTR seeing another site with a photo of more pronounced contrast
between the two tapes.

That was it thanks. I'll publish some pics of mine once I've done it.
Old January 1st 05, 01:18 PM
Dave Kahn

MSeries wrote:
Mark McNeill wrote:

Could be Rivendell's
http://rivbike.com/html/rr_handlebar.html

though ISTR seeing another site with a photo of more pronounced
contrast between the two tapes.

That was it thanks. I'll publish some pics of mine once I've done it.

It would be helpful if you could, along with a description of the
technique you used and how you overcame any difficulties. ISTR that
Rivendell used to have a fuller description and a much better photo than
the current one. My long-neglected H.R. Morris needs some TLC and I'm
tempted to wrap its bars that way myself.

--
Dave...

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
future of the human race. - H. G. Wells
Old January 1st 05, 02:58 PM
MSeries

Dave Kahn wrote:
MSeries wrote:

Mark McNeill wrote:

Could be Rivendell's
http://rivbike.com/html/rr_handlebar.html

though ISTR seeing another site with a photo of more pronounced
contrast between the two tapes.

That was it thanks. I'll publish some pics of mine once I've done it.

It would be helpful if you could, along with a description of the
technique you used and how you overcame any difficulties. ISTR that
Rivendell used to have a fuller description and a much better photo than
the current one. My long-neglected H.R. Morris needs some TLC and I'm
tempted to wrap its bars that way myself.

Will do DK, I'll get myself two packs of tape next weekend, what colours
though. Bike is metallic blue/silver. I am thinking of using reflective
tape from an old jacket and black bar tape but since the reflective
stuff is not stretchy or self adhesive I am not sure it'll work round
the curves. WILL look damn cool though, especially at night !
Old January 3rd 05, 09:37 PM
MSeries

Dave Kahn wrote:
MSeries wrote:

Mark McNeill wrote:

Could be Rivendell's
http://rivbike.com/html/rr_handlebar.html

though ISTR seeing another site with a photo of more pronounced
contrast between the two tapes.

That was it thanks. I'll publish some pics of mine once I've done it.

It would be helpful if you could, along with a description of the
technique you used and how you overcame any difficulties. ISTR that
Rivendell used to have a fuller description and a much better photo than
the current one. My long-neglected H.R. Morris needs some TLC and I'm
tempted to wrap its bars that way myself.

Been thinking about this when cleaning the bike today. Not sure it'll
work very well on drop bars. The tape can't be overlapped so getting it
round the curved bars will be hard to do well. Any thoughts ?
Old January 3rd 05, 10:38 PM
Pete Biggs

MSeries wrote:
Been thinking about this when cleaning the bike today. Not sure it'll
work very well on drop bars. The tape can't be overlapped so getting
it round the curved bars will be hard to do well. Any thoughts ?

Pull and stretch the tape?

But my honest thought is: don't bother. Shouldn't the priority be to
make the tape *feel* good? Doing strange things to make it look fancy is
bound to spoil that.

~PB

Old January 5th 05, 06:24 AM
Dave Kahn

Pete Biggs wrote:

But my honest thought is: don't bother. Shouldn't the priority be to
make the tape *feel* good? Doing strange things to make it look fancy is
bound to spoil that.

Not necessarily. With old style cloth tape many people would double-wrap
in any case to improve the feel of the bars. The interlaced pattern
might well give a better grip and feel then two layers wrapped the same way.

Old January 6th 05, 08:15 PM
MSeries

Dave Kahn wrote:
Pete Biggs wrote:

But my honest thought is: don't bother. Shouldn't the priority be to
make the tape *feel* good? Doing strange things to make it look fancy is
bound to spoil that.

Not necessarily. With old style cloth tape many people would double-wrap
in any case to improve the feel of the bars. The interlaced pattern
might well give a better grip and feel then two layers wrapped the same
way.

My initial motivation was to have double wrapped hooks on my tourer as
last year on long (7 hours) rides my left hand started to get unusual
pains. My thickest track mitts cured the problem but I like to ride
without such items sometimes, truth be known I sometimes forget/lose
them and can't arsed to go and fetch them. So I thought double wraping
might be worth a try and thus thought about trying an unusual
method/pattern. I may just try in on the straight hooks, perhaps with
reflecttive 'chav' tape salvaged from an old navvy jacket.
Old January 6th 05, 10:10 PM
Richard Bates

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 20:15:33 +0000, MSeries
wrote:

My initial motivation was to have double wrapped hooks on my tourer as
last year on long (7 hours) rides my left hand started to get unusual
pains. My thickest track mitts cured the problem but I like to ride
without such items sometimes, truth be known I sometimes forget/lose
them and can't arsed to go and fetch them. So I thought double wraping

Would you not be better off with an item such as
http://www.sjscycles.com/store/item5278.htm ? (Product is MarSAS pads,
for those that can't be arsed loading a web page)

--
Amazon: "If you are interested in 'Asimov's I-Robot',
you may also be interested in 'Garfield - The Movie'.

Flashlight Handlebar Mount NLee1875 Techniques 2 October 3rd 04 11:00 AM
WTB: cow (holstein) pattern, black & white handlebar tape Dave Abraham General 2 August 18th 04 05:08 PM
WTB: cow (holstein) pattern, black & white handlebar tape Dave Abraham Marketplace 1 August 18th 04 04:02 AM
long handlebar tape? Steve Watkin UK 3 August 9th 04 09:44 PM
WTB Pink handlebar tape Morgan Fletcher Marketplace 1 May 24th 04 03:39 AM