Loctite on pedal threads???

Old July 14th 05, 11:08 PM
Neil Brooks

Default Loctite on pedal threads???

I've been pulling, cleaning, greasing, and re-installing a few things
to get at a recently-developed (minor) creaking.

Today's pull was the pedals - Shimano M540's - from the Aluminum
Record cranks.

The 540's don't have flats, so--instead of the pedal wrench--I had at
it with the trusty hex wrench. After half an hour of hanging,
cranking, hammering (heel of hand on towel-wrapped ratchet with hex
bit on it), and cussing, I finally got them to break free.

When I pulled them, the threads had a vaguely familiar blue substance
on them. I have to figure -- based on what it took to remove them --
Loctite.

Questions:

1) Could it be something else?? This was almost Park Tool blue in
color, and just a stripe around the middle third of the threads (all
the way around). Similar in color to what comes on (at least my)
Campy crank bolts.

2) If this was Loctite, any reason for it on pedal threads? Where I
come from, you grease 'em, or anti-seize 'em, and you move on.

TIA,

Neil
300 in-lbs and I'm outta' there....
Old July 15th 05, 01:14 AM
Jeff Starr

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 22:08:47 GMT, Neil Brooks
wrote:

When I pulled them, the threads had a vaguely familiar blue substance
on them. I have to figure -- based on what it took to remove them --
Loctite.

Questions:

1) Could it be something else?? This was almost Park Tool blue in
color, and just a stripe around the middle third of the threads (all
the way around). Similar in color to what comes on (at least my)
Campy crank bolts.

2) If this was Loctite, any reason for it on pedal threads? Where I
come from, you grease 'em, or anti-seize 'em, and you move on.

TIA,

Neil
300 in-lbs and I'm outta' there....

Neil, who installed them last time?

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old July 15th 05, 02:05 AM
Neil Brooks

wrote:

When I pulled them, the threads had a vaguely familiar blue substance
on them. I have to figure -- based on what it took to remove them --
Loctite.

Questions:

1) Could it be something else?? This was almost Park Tool blue in
color, and just a stripe around the middle third of the threads (all
the way around). Similar in color to what comes on (at least my)
Campy crank bolts.

2) If this was Loctite, any reason for it on pedal threads? Where I
come from, you grease 'em, or anti-seize 'em, and you move on.

TIA,

Neil
300 in-lbs and I'm outta' there....

Neil, who installed them last time?

Life is Good!
Jeff

Ye olde LBS. I've, uh, had a few issues with them before.
Old July 15th 05, 06:51 AM
Werehatrack

wrote:

When I pulled them, the threads had a vaguely familiar blue substance
on them. I have to figure -- based on what it took to remove them --
Loctite.

Questions:

1) Could it be something else?? This was almost Park Tool blue in
color, and just a stripe around the middle third of the threads (all
the way around). Similar in color to what comes on (at least my)
Campy crank bolts.

Probably the variant which is applied as a hot stripe in a production
system, but it is supposed to reduce vibration-induced loosening,
which is the primary purpose of Loctite.

2) If this was Loctite, any reason for it on pedal threads?

To persuade the do-it-yourself-minded owner to bring the bike back to
the shop for repair, perhaps? To promote the sale of the famous "30
Days To A More Powerful Invective Vocabulary" self-improvement course?
As part of the Vast Global Conspiracy to Force Everyone To Buy An
SUV[1]? Because the voices in the pedal-threader's head told him that
the threads would unwind, leap off the shaft and strangle the people
on the assembly line if he didn't put that blue stuff on there to keep
them in place?

[1] in this case, to haul the bike to the shop.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old July 17th 05, 02:46 AM
Mykal

"Neil Brooks" wrote in message
I've been pulling, cleaning, greasing, and re-installing a few

things
to get at a recently-developed (minor) creaking.

Today's pull was the pedals - Shimano M540's - from the Aluminum
Record cranks.

The 540's don't have flats, so--instead of the pedal wrench--I had

at
it with the trusty hex wrench. After half an hour of hanging,
cranking, hammering (heel of hand on towel-wrapped ratchet with hex
bit on it), and cussing, I finally got them to break free.

When I pulled them, the threads had a vaguely familiar blue

substance
on them. I have to figure -- based on what it took to remove

them --
Loctite.

....Better blue than red.

mykal

Old July 17th 05, 03:13 AM
Neil Brooks

"Mykal" wrote:

"Neil Brooks" wrote in message
.. .
I've been pulling, cleaning, greasing, and re-installing a few

things
to get at a recently-developed (minor) creaking.

Today's pull was the pedals - Shimano M540's - from the Aluminum
Record cranks.

The 540's don't have flats, so--instead of the pedal wrench--I had

at
it with the trusty hex wrench. After half an hour of hanging,
cranking, hammering (heel of hand on towel-wrapped ratchet with hex
bit on it), and cussing, I finally got them to break free.

When I pulled them, the threads had a vaguely familiar blue

substance
on them. I have to figure -- based on what it took to remove

them --
Loctite.

...Better blue than red.

true, that.

Pedal grab help seriously needed...... unipsychogirl Unicycling 26 October 1st 07 01:41 AM
Clipless pedal screws keep breaking and loosening Dale S. Techniques 2 August 6th 04 01:52 PM
Got my new Qu-Ax!!! MuniTune Unicycling 17 August 2nd 04 08:21 PM
Pedal grabs thinuniking Unicycling 17 June 15th 04 04:44 PM
Pedal came off crank arm while riding Gordon Techniques 16 September 10th 03 12:50 PM