Yet another petition (everyone's got to sign this one)

Old February 13th 07, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

Default Yet another petition (everyone's got to sign this one)

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to sing "We're Going To Hang
Out The Washing On The Siegfried Line" through a megaphone while standing
in a barrel of custard outside Parliament.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ht/6354103.stm

;; If God does not write LISP, God writes some code so similar to
;; LISP as to make no difference.
Old February 14th 07, 01:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pinky

Sorry to be an old fart --- but these things are totally irrelevant and,
therefore, similarly without meaning.

The website is just a pointless "media" stageshow.

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

"Just Visiting" wrote in message
"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to sing "We're Going To

Hang
Out The Washing On The Siegfried Line" through a megaphone while standing
in a barrel of custard outside Parliament.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ht/6354103.stm

That's enough petitions. [Ed]

Old February 14th 07, 01:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 01:22:04 +0000, Pinky wrote:

Sorry to be an old fart --- but these things are totally irrelevant and,
therefore, similarly without meaning.

The website is just a pointless "media" stageshow.

And, after reading the Beeb guide to it with quotes from the "designer",
very open to abuse. There are several here with their own internet
domains, and every domain can have millions of unique mail addresses. If
we all got together and created a bit of auto-vote and auto-response I'm
sure we could have a petition "signed" by more than the population of the
UK.

For a small number of beer coupons a couple of realistic domains could be
purchased which look like proper ISPs (eg biginternet.com is not currently
assigned), instead of sullying our own names.

As this is Usenet the hard part is going to be agreeing on the subject of
the petition.

Now ask me what I think of E-voting in real elections :-/

Mike
Old February 14th 07, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman

On Feb 14, 1:49 am, Mike Causer
wrote:

As this is Usenet the hard part is going to be agreeing on the subject of
the petition.

Just add onto an existing 'nonsense' one that's doing quite well e.g.

Replace the national anthem with Gold by Spandau Ballet (http://
petitions.pm.gov.uk/goldanthem/)
We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to stand on his head
and juggle ice-cream (http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/juggle/)

If you can add more than a million signatures then this will be more
important than scrapping road pricing schemes!

peter

Old February 14th 07, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

Mike Causer wrote:
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 01:22:04 +0000, Pinky wrote:

Sorry to be an old fart --- but these things are totally
irrelevant and, therefore, similarly without meaning.

The website is just a pointless "media" stageshow.

And, after reading the Beeb guide to it with quotes from the
"designer", very open to abuse. There are several here with their
own internet domains, and every domain can have millions of unique
mail addresses. If we all got together and created a bit of
auto-vote and auto-response I'm sure we could have a petition
"signed" by more than the population of the UK.

I'd thought along the same lines.
Then thought I'd be doing something more useful polishing the wheel
reflectors I keep in the "bound to be useful one day" bag in my shed.

For a small number of beer coupons a couple of realistic domains
could be purchased which look like proper ISPs (eg biginternet.com is
not currently assigned), instead of sullying our own names.

As this is Usenet the hard part is going to be agreeing on the
subject of the petition.

How about:

We the undersigned think that the design of the "Downing Street website
petition system" is fundamentally flawed in the manner in which it can be
abused by small self-interest groups.

Now ask me what I think of E-voting in real elections :-/

I tend to agree :-)

I thought we voted for governments to govern ? Yes, they should listen, but
their job is to balance competing interests. Every few years we get the
chance to say whether they should continue or some others have a go.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old February 14th 07, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just Visiting

At least it looks like the cabinet occasionally gets something right, even
if they do only mutter it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/14/tony_emails_uk/

.uk...

#10 Petition Stuart Millington UK 0 November 18th 06 12:42 AM
do not sign petition Callistus Valerius Racing 8 December 30th 05 02:35 AM
Petition the IOC rooman Australia 26 June 17th 05 11:53 AM
What is everyone's favorite...TIRE SIDEWALL COLOR? (Thx Sorni!) Raptor Mountain Biking 11 March 25th 05 09:13 PM
this is for everyone's interest flyingdutch Australia 2 April 23rd 04 08:44 AM