Pros and cons of mechanical vs hydraulic disc brakes?

Old February 15th 07, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Duncan Smith

Default Pros and cons of mechanical vs hydraulic disc brakes?

Feeling somewhat unsatisfied with the V-brake setup on my cyclocross
forks I'm contemplating disc brakes as a solution and am wondering
what the relative merits of hydraulic vs mechanical are?

So far I can think that the mechanical variety are probably cheaper
and easier to fix/adjust at the road-side whereas the hydraulic sort
have more bling and stopping power (maybe - don't know why?)

Also, any recommendations for a 100mm front fork with ISO disc tabs?
So far I've found Winwood and Airborne Aeileron - but both are US
based and don't seem to any stockists in the UK

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ross+Fork.aspx
http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2006/nov/JasonElias.htm

Many thanks,

Duncan.

Old February 15th 07, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 05:50:25 -0800, Duncan Smith wrote:

Feeling somewhat unsatisfied with the V-brake setup on my cyclocross
forks I'm contemplating disc brakes as a solution and am wondering
what the relative merits of hydraulic vs mechanical are?

Go to rec.bicycles.tech and find the thread "Mechanical disk brake"
started on Tuesday this week.

Mike

Old February 15th 07, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Duncan Smith wrote:
Feeling somewhat unsatisfied with the V-brake setup on my cyclocross
forks I'm contemplating disc brakes as a solution and am wondering
what the relative merits of hydraulic vs mechanical are?

So far I can think that the mechanical variety are probably cheaper
and easier to fix/adjust at the road-side whereas the hydraulic sort
have more bling and stopping power (maybe - don't know why?)

My mech/hydraulic comparison is rim brakes rather than discs, but I've
found that...

Absolute power isn't actually much of an issue. If you bother fettling
mech brakes you can lock the wheels up anyway, and if you can do that
then any extra power is moot. What the hydraulics give is a simple
in/out pad motion that means that fettling is (a) far less necessary to
start with and (b) *much* easier to do, and much easier control with
fingertip pressure rather than a monster squeeze of the hand.

Hydraulic rim brakes will fit on existing V-bosses, but you'll be lucky
to find levers that work on drops since Magura discontinued the HS 66 :-(

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old February 15th 07, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Duncan Smith

Hydraulic rim brakes will fit on existing V-bosses, but you'll be lucky
to find levers that work on drops since Magura discontinued the HS 66 :-(

Agreed, the normal drop style lever didn't really pull enough wire for
the v-brake, I was thinking of mounting a more conventional mtb style
lever on the bottom of the drop bars (near where the bar end plug
goes).

A bit like this guy's got (except he's got bull bars not drop bars,
but same thing I reckon..) http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2006/nov/
JasonElias.htm

Any tips for a suitable lever? - my drop bars are over-sized
apparently.

Thanks,

Duncan.

Old February 15th 07, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Thomson

"Duncan Smith" a écrit:

I was thinking of mounting a more conventional mtb style
lever on the bottom of the drop bars (near where the bar
end plug goes).

A bit like this guy's got (except he's got bull bars not drop
bars, but same thing I reckon..)

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2006/nov/JasonElias.htm

Any tips for a suitable lever? - my drop bars are over-sized
apparently.

Generally when drop bars are referred to as oversized, the oversized part is
the stem clamp - 31.8mm or thereabouts.

Most drop bars have a diameter of around 15/16" (23.8mm) in the part to
which the brake levers clamp. That's far enough from the straight bar
standard of 7/8" (22.2mm) that mountain bike levers don't work well on drop
bars. It's sometimes possible to bodge the clamp, but it's generally not a
nice solution.

The lever in the picture is a Tektro cross lever, designed to be used as a
secondary lever on drops (and therefore with a 23.8mm clamp), and the Avid
mechanical brake is the only one I know of that comes in a version designed
to work with drop bar cable pull.

What gear controls are you currently using? Will you want to keep your brake
hoods?

James Thomson

Old February 15th 07, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message .com, Duncan
Smith ') wrote:

Feeling somewhat unsatisfied with the V-brake setup on my cyclocross
forks I'm contemplating disc brakes as a solution and am wondering
what the relative merits of hydraulic vs mechanical are?

Remember that all bicycle brakes are essentially disk brakes. With rim
brakes the disk is bigger and the tyre is attached to it...

If you use a separate brake disk, it's further from the mud so unless
conditions are truly atrocious it doesn't get contaminated. Against this,
it's smaller so has less radiant area to dissipate energy as heat (but at
least the heat doesn't go into your tyres).

Apart from the mud issue, disk brakes are less, not more, effective than
rim brakes, because of poorer leverage and less radiant surface.

So far I can think that the mechanical variety are probably cheaper
and easier to fix/adjust at the road-side whereas the hydraulic sort
have more bling and stopping power (maybe - don't know why?)

Not more stopping power - more sensitivity, more precise control. This
really matters for technical mountain biking but probably doesn't matter
very much for cross.

;; All in all you're just another nick in the ball
-- Think Droid

Old February 15th 07, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Duncan Smith wrote on 15/02/2007 13:50 +0100:

So far I can think that the mechanical variety are probably cheaper
and easier to fix/adjust at the road-side whereas the hydraulic sort
have more bling and stopping power (maybe - don't know why?)

Power isn't the issue IMO. Its the much better modulation of power you
get with hydraulic discs which give you much better control over your
stopping especially when things are slippy.

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Old February 15th 07, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Duncan Smith

The lever in the picture is a Tektro cross lever, designed to be used as a
secondary lever on drops (and therefore with a 23.8mm clamp), and the Avid
mechanical brake is the only one I know of that comes in a version designed
to work with drop bar cable pull.

What gear controls are you currently using? Will you want to keep your brake
hoods?

Thanks James, that's good info.. Looks like the Tektro lever with the
avid mech. brakes would be a good combo. Do you have a link to the
avid brakes designed to work with the lever?

My bike's a fixie so no gear controls to worry about!

The brake hoods is a good question - I don't usually run a rear brake,
though I may change my mind after tuesday's ride in the wet... I use
them for pulling up on when climbing hills a lot though. It would be
tidier if I could remove the levers from the hoods, but they don't
seem designed to be removed easily (Tektro). Maybe you can buy some
hoods without levers...?

Thanks,

Duncan.

Old February 15th 07, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ambrose Nankivell

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message .com, Duncan
Smith ') wrote:

Feeling somewhat unsatisfied with the V-brake setup on my cyclocross
forks I'm contemplating disc brakes as a solution and am wondering
what the relative merits of hydraulic vs mechanical are?

Remember that all bicycle brakes are essentially disk brakes. With rim
brakes the disk is bigger and the tyre is attached to it...

If you use a separate brake disk, it's further from the mud so unless
conditions are truly atrocious it doesn't get contaminated. Against this,
it's smaller so has less radiant area to dissipate energy as heat (but at
least the heat doesn't go into your tyres).

Apart from the mud issue, disk brakes are less, not more, effective than
rim brakes, because of poorer leverage and less radiant surface.

Apart from the fact that they're made with material specific to the
purpose of braking, which allows them to run truer, be harder, more
conductive of heat, and use much more abrasive pads, all of which adds
up to a great improvement in efficacy over rim brakes, IME.