Nairn child cyclist death -- Training?

Old February 26th 07, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Fox

Default Nairn child cyclist death -- Training?

Suggestion.

You may have read of the cyclist death on the A96 near Nairn. Original
news story at.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/6394473.stm

1. Let's get this clear, I'm *not* suggesting the cyclist was at fault.

2. The only two known methods of reducing cycling injuries are training
and increasing cycling.

3. There must have been a lot of expense for the rescue and
investigation - an amount that makes the budgets for cycle training look
trivial.

4. Would it not be a really excellent thing if say the School to which
the poor lad went hosted cycle training - paid for by the same bodies
that paid for 3 - _to the same money value_.

5. A school is unused for a long period in the summer - an ideal time to
be used as a wider community facility.

6. I'd like to see more money put into proper prevention than 'picking
up pieces'. Here is an opportunity with unfortunate prompt but obvious
benefit and opportunity to prise a decent budget from organisations that
are always going on about safety but won't put their hands in their
pockets.

That's the ball but I'm not the one to start it rolling as I'm 500 miles
away. Perhaps someone more local would like to think about even just
writing a letter to their paper?

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the porcelain business went down the pan

www.eminent.demon.co.uk - Lots for cyclists
Old February 26th 07, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On 26 Feb, 12:54, Peter Fox
wrote:
[...]

95% of RTA's are down to driver error.

Drivers blame the weather, the road layout, distracting bra adverts,
speed limits, mechanical failure or anything else they can think of
but the sad reality is that if drivers obeyed the HC it would be
impossible to kill a cyclist using the road correctly. I'm not sure
why the focus should be on cyclist training given the above. Driver
training and a proper treatment by the courts of killer drivers would
be far more effective.

Old February 26th 07, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Peter Fox wrote:

2. The only two known methods of reducing cycling injuries are training
and increasing cycling.

Not so. For example, vigorous drink/drive campaigns tend to improve RTA
figures across the board. Also, pedants can point out that a 100%
reduction in cycling will give a 100% reduction in cycling injuries:
it's rates that are important rather than plain counts.

Though for the rest there's a lot of sense in what you're saying.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old February 26th 07, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

spindrift wrote:

95% of RTA's are down to driver error.

Or, if we look at an official analysis of the official data (STATS19) we
see that driver /or/ rider error was a contributory factor (not
necessarily the only factor) is 66% of injury collisions.

--
Matt B
Old February 26th 07, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

"Peter Fox" wrote in
message ...

2. The only two known methods of reducing cycling injuries are training
and increasing cycling.

No they are not the only known methods.

The other known way is to increase *motorist* education & awareness of road
users more vulnerable than those in metal cages, as the figures show that in
most cases, it's the motorist who is at fault.

Old February 26th 07, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

I was speaking to someone over the weekend before I heard of this
incident, and they mentioned this particular road as being
particularly bad in terms of excessive speed and reckless behaviour by
motorists.

It is not a heavily used road so attracts a manner of behaviour one
might charitably describe as 'chancing ones arm', with a strong
tendency for those indulging in such pursuits to engage with the
scenery rather more forcefully than intended.

A hit and run, given the reports, appears to be the most likely
scenario.

...d

Old February 26th 07, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian G

Peter Fox wrote:

2. The only two known methods of reducing cycling injuries are training
and increasing cycling.

Unfortunately the fatalities in recent times of several well-trained
cyclists, some of representative standard, suggest that these factors
alone are not enough. The most highly trained and experienced cyclist
can still be put at grave risk from motorised idiots.

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk
Old February 26th 07, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On 26 Feb, 13:48, Brian G wrote:
Peter Fox wrote:

2. The only two known methods of reducing cycling injuries are training
and increasing cycling.

Unfortunately the fatalities in recent times of several well-trained
cyclists, some of representative standard, suggest that these factors
alone are not enough. The most highly trained and experienced cyclist
can still be put at grave risk from motorised idiots.

--
Brian Gwww.wetwo.co.uk

Take this for example:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/6379011.stm

Now the pro-speeding lobby groups have previously described BBC
reports that cite speeding as a factor as "evil distortions".

The only way that incidents like this will be prevented is by

1. A societal shift in dependence on the private motor car which
leaves every 17 year old scrote thinking they have a 'right' to
drive.

2. A societal shift in attitude to cars: we (include yourself or not)
don't have sufficient respect for the capability and power of the
machines we are operating. I get the impression most people are more
cautious operating their kitchen magimix than their car.

3. Proper mutual respect between road users, from the father pushing a
pram to the HGV driver.

Unfortunately campaigns like the pro-speeding one can encourage (I
don't say cause) the attitude problems of (1) and (2).

Old February 26th 07, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John B

Peter Clinch wrote:

Also, pedants can point out that a 100%
reduction in cycling will give a 100% reduction in cycling injuries:

I see you've been talking to my local Road Safety Officer

John B

Old February 26th 07, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John B

spindrift wrote:

Driver
training

....has already been discredited - it hasn't worked so far so why should that
change :-(

and a proper treatment by the courts of killer drivers would
be far more effective.

claps and cheers

John B

Another cyclist death on the roads. Friday Australia 10 September 30th 06 11:54 AM
2005 Child Cyclist Fatalities in London Tom Crispin UK 14 January 29th 06 08:22 PM
DEATH ONLY SOLUTION FOR THIS CYCLIST abcdefgh Social Issues 0 January 3rd 06 09:23 PM
Cyclist stabbed to death Tony Raven UK 0 August 16th 05 10:14 PM
Cyclist death in WA. Marty Australia 0 April 5th 05 06:50 AM