Nairn child cyclist death -- Training?

Old February 26th 07, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Stanley

Default Nairn child cyclist death -- Training?

"spindrift" wrote in message
oups.com...

Agreed again.

Once more, Howard says it far better than I can:

I would argue that these sort of incidents will continue as long as
motorists in general believe that they have some sort of god-given
'right' to drive where and almost however they please and that
etc etc ................

who have no respect for the law and the well-being of others. As such
the anti-speed control mob are complicit in ensuring that crimes like
the one in that BBC report will continue to happen.

I couldn't agree more or have said it better.

Thank you Spindrift. Spot on.

On Drivers.........

I always think 'they' need to have people certified to drive on grounds of
attitude and temprament. There are too many drivers on the road who are
really mentally unfit to drive at all.

On Cyclists...........

In the '80s I was a ROSPA trainer at a school but found that the little
angels who had all ridden so carefully raced of after trainin riding all
over the place and cutting corners. It is one thing to train children but
another to get them to apply what they have learnt on the road!

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

Old February 27th 07, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On 26 Feb, 21:10, "Stanley" wrote:
"spindrift" wrote in message

[...]

Interesting update on the charmer who killed four when he nodded off
at the wheel.

After being charged he was placed in a cell and was fast asleep in
fifteen minutes.

Old February 27th 07, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Fox

Following on from Stanley's message. . .
On Cyclists...........

In the '80s I was a ROSPA trainer at a school but found that the little
angels who had all ridden so carefully raced of after trainin riding all
over the place and cutting corners. It is one thing to train children but
another to get them to apply what they have learnt on the road!

Thanks for that fantastic observation. I'll have it written in large
letters and sent to the Essex road safety twerps who think playgrounds
are where to learn cycling. The very essence of Cycling Deficiency -
Thanks.

BTW Chelmsford Council were advertising for Cycling Deficiency staff :-
No cycling ability necessary.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the bookshop idea was shelved

www.eminent.demon.co.uk - Lots for cyclists
Old February 27th 07, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Buck

On 2007-02-27 09:12:41 +0000, Peter Fox
said:

Following on from Stanley's message. . .
On Cyclists...........

In the '80s I was a ROSPA trainer at a school but found that the little
angels who had all ridden so carefully raced of after trainin riding all
over the place and cutting corners. It is one thing to train children but
another to get them to apply what they have learnt on the road!

Thanks for that fantastic observation. I'll have it written in large
letters and sent to the Essex road safety twerps who think playgrounds
are where to learn cycling. The very essence of Cycling Deficiency -
Thanks.

BTW Chelmsford Council were advertising for Cycling Deficiency staff :-
No cycling ability necessary.

It worked for me and many like me, but hell yes, better to do nothing at all.
--
Three wheels good, two wheels ok

www.catrike.co.uk

Old February 27th 07, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Niall Wallace
') wrote:

Motor manslaughter
Because of a reluctance by juries to convict when the charge was
manslaughter, a statutory offence of "causing death by dangerous driving"
was introduced.

That is really depressing. Yes, if, on the whole, jurors think it's OK to
kill people with a car, changing the law really doesn't help.

Due to financial constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off.

Old February 27th 07, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Buck

On 2007-02-27 10:49:26 +0000, Simon Brooke said:

in message , Niall Wallace
') wrote:

Motor manslaughter
Because of a reluctance by juries to convict when the charge was
manslaughter, a statutory offence of "causing death by dangerous driving"
was introduced.

That is really depressing. Yes, if, on the whole, jurors think it's OK to
kill people with a car, changing the law really doesn't help.

Then there needs to be a massive public re-education, unfortunately most
people drive so jurors must be thinking how easily it could be them in the
dock, I used to drive huge mileages every year and still do above average
yet I have never run anyone down, I had a twonk blowing his horn at me the
other day because I was going slow, why? Because I had seed a small child
walking on the pavement behind a parked car, it isn't hard to see a potential
victim and drive accordingly, so I cannot see how it could easily be me in
the dock, manslaughter it should be.

Old February 28th 07, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
The Luggage

On 26 Feb, 15:03, Matt B wrote:
Pinky wrote:

It is a peculiarity of our laws that so many people who kill others are not
charged with manslaughter and get a token "slap on the wrist".

Because motoring peculiarly has had a raft of "special" laws created for
it. If these special laws, which do not require the same burden of
proof as manslaughter, were removed, then the manslaughter charge would
probably become more common. The prosecutors would rather any
conviction than no conviction - so choose the path most likely to
achieve that - and that is usually the one requiring least proof.

Is there anything to stop prosecutors putting serveral grades of
offence to the jusy, and asking them to decide if the person is guilty
of e.g. manslaughter, dangerous driving, careless driving, or nothing?

TL

Another cyclist death on the roads. Friday Australia 10 September 30th 06 11:54 AM
2005 Child Cyclist Fatalities in London Tom Crispin UK 14 January 29th 06 08:22 PM
DEATH ONLY SOLUTION FOR THIS CYCLIST abcdefgh Social Issues 0 January 3rd 06 09:23 PM
Cyclist stabbed to death Tony Raven UK 0 August 16th 05 10:14 PM
Cyclist death in WA. Marty Australia 0 April 5th 05 06:50 AM