guardian - puncture repair

Old March 5th 07, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default guardian - puncture repair

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 10:32:27 +0000, bugbear
wrote:

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...022386,00.html

Couple of things here strike me as just plain wrong.

1) They advocate removing the tyre completely.
(points 4 and 8)
This just seems to be extra work for no benefit.

When teaching children to fix punctures I always use the rear wheel,
remove it completely, and strip off the tyre and tube. If they can do
that, they can fix a simple puncture on a front wheel when the
location is known (or suspected), and the wheel doesn't need removing,
and the tyre and tube can remain largely in place.

However, if I was going to be truly realistic, then I'd turn a high
pressure hose on them and simulate cars splashing through puddles at
60mph. Instead I use it as a rainy day activity and run the lesson in
a warm snug classroom.
Old March 5th 07, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 18:25:40 +0000, Tom Crispin wrote:

However, if I was going to be truly realistic, then I'd turn a high
pressure hose on them and simulate cars splashing through puddles at
60mph.

I think my most uncomfortable ever puncture repair was just after sunset
at well below freezing, on a bridleway that had no cars or puddles nor any
other passing person who might have held the bike's light so I could see
what I was doing.

OTOH doing a repair while on holiday in Ireland, cycling back to the
farmhouse B&B full of Murphy's Stout (County Cork y'see), the rain was
quite warm, and I hardly noticed it. Could have been that the stout had
dulled my senses though....

.... and could have accounted for leaving the tyre levers in the grass
and having to buy another set the next day :-(

Mike
Old March 5th 07, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

Mike Causer wrote:

I think my most uncomfortable ever puncture repair was just after sunset
at well below freezing, on a bridleway that had no cars or puddles nor any
other passing person who might have held the bike's light so I could see
what I was doing.

That's the main reason I got a CO2 cartridge pump for commuting.

.... and could have accounted for leaving the tyre levers in the grass
and having to buy another set the next day :-(

I mended a puncture a few weeks ago left a tyre lever behind. The next
day I arrived at work and it was still lying where I left it.

Martin.
Old March 5th 07, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Al C-F

Peter Clinch wrote:
bugbear wrote:

I have NEVER had a tyre I can't put on by
hand, and I've done a wide range.

Either you have never tried to put a 16" Schwalbe Marathon on a standard
Brompton rim, or you are two separate gorillas...

Pete.

Two separate gorillas here.

With much trepidation after comments hereabouts, I approached my
Brompton front wheel. Absolutely no more difficult than Marathons on my
700c rims on the Galaxy.

Now, where's my other half?
Old March 5th 07, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Mike Causer
') wrote:

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 18:25:40 +0000, Tom Crispin wrote:

However, if I was going to be truly realistic, then I'd turn a high
pressure hose on them and simulate cars splashing through puddles at
60mph.

I think my most uncomfortable ever puncture repair was just after sunset
at well below freezing, on a bridleway that had no cars or puddles nor
any other passing person who might have held the bike's light so I could
see what I was doing.

Three inches of wet snow on the ground, more falling, no shelter, strong
wind, getting dark. It's more than twenty years ago but I can still
remember just how miserable an experience it was.

;; An enamorata is for life, not just for weekends.
Old March 6th 07, 05:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 22:57:18 +0000, Simon Brooke
wrote:

in message , Mike Causer
') wrote:

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 18:25:40 +0000, Tom Crispin wrote:

However, if I was going to be truly realistic, then I'd turn a high
pressure hose on them and simulate cars splashing through puddles at
60mph.

I think my most uncomfortable ever puncture repair was just after sunset
at well below freezing, on a bridleway that had no cars or puddles nor
any other passing person who might have held the bike's light so I could
see what I was doing.

Three inches of wet snow on the ground, more falling, no shelter, strong
wind, getting dark. It's more than twenty years ago but I can still
remember just how miserable an experience it was.

Yeah, but you look back on the experience with affection. A bit like
the time I reached the summit of Col D'Aspin in the middle of a fierce
Pyrenean storm. It was damn miserable at the time, but I enjoy
recalling the experience from the comfort of my own home.
Old March 6th 07, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Al C-F wrote:

Two separate gorillas here.

With much trepidation after comments hereabouts, I approached my
Brompton front wheel. Absolutely no more difficult than Marathons on my
700c rims on the Galaxy.

Maybe they've changed the rims between our models? Dunno, maybe I'm
just more feeble than I thought. But if you have the correspondence
address for Mr. Apollo's Body Building Plan, please send it on... ;-)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old March 6th 07, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

On Mar 6, 9:17 am, Peter Clinch wrote:
But if you have the correspondence address for Mr. Apollo's
Body Building Plan, please send it on... ;-)

No exercises! No unpleasant bending!

--
Dave...

Old March 7th 07, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In oups.com,
dkahn400 tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
On Mar 6, 9:17 am, Peter Clinch wrote:
But if you have the correspondence address for Mr. Apollo's
Body Building Plan, please send it on... ;-)

No exercises! No unpleasant bending!

Wrestle poodles and win! Play beach ball! Shave your legs! (Er, hang on -
Ed.)

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk