Badger count

Old March 7th 07, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

Default Badger count

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 20:39:29 +0000, Nigel Cliffe wrote:

My mum's father was a gamekeeper, and she usually just kept quite as she
wasn't keen on plucking them.

Kitchen full of tiny feathers!

Are you sure about the identification, weasels aren't stoatally different.
(sorry).

Easy. Stoats are stouter.

If you have both species around the adults are very easy to distinguish.

Mike
Old March 7th 07, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx

David Hansen typed:
On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 13:39:42 -0000 someone who may be "Paul - xxx"
wrote this:-

Picked one up and disposed of it off our school field this am (6.30
ish) before the kids saw it and panicked/poked it.

Most schoolchildren seem fascinated by such things and rather less
squeamish than "grown-ups".

Seems to go about half and half, horror and fascination ...

However, we also have a few statemented and special needs children who
would _really_ have a bad day if they saw a dead animal. We've had it
happen, hence why I now check the field every morning well before any
kids get to school.

Starlings are most regular, I guess...

--
Paul - xxx

Old March 7th 07, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon

"Mike Causer" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 20:39:29 +0000, Nigel Cliffe wrote:

My mum's father was a gamekeeper, and she usually just kept quite as she
wasn't keen on plucking them.

Kitchen full of tiny feathers!

Are you sure about the identification, weasels aren't stoatally
different.
(sorry).

Easy. Stoats are stouter.

But the other species is weasily recognised......

Old March 8th 07, 02:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pyromancer

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Nigel
Cliffe gently breathed:
vernon wrote:
It looks like dead badger season is well and truly upon us. I saw
one last Sunday just outside Harrogate. I saw plenty of other
roadkill especially pheasants - some looking exceeding fresh - what's
the law regarding the gathering of roadkill especially game birds?

Thirty odd years ago, my dad used to say "OK to pick up, so long as you
didn't kill it in your car".
I never understood the logic !

The idea is that it's OK to take game species that have been killed by
other passing traffic, as they are dead anyway and you're saving the
local authorities / landowner from having to clear them up, but it's
still illegal to deliberately kill them yourself and take them away. No
"poaching with a motorcar".

--
- DJ Pyromancer, Black Sheep, Leeds. http://www.sheepish.net

Broadband, Dialup, Domains = http://www.wytches.net = The UK's Pagan ISP!
http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk http://www.revival.stormshadow.com
Old March 8th 07, 03:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

vernon wrote:

"Mike Causer" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 20:39:29 +0000, Nigel Cliffe wrote:

Are you sure about the identification, weasels aren't stoatally
different.
(sorry).

Easy. Stoats are stouter.

But the other species is weasily recognised......

A stoat is weasily distinguished and a weasel's stotally different :-)

Old March 8th 07, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Patter

On 7 Mar 2007 21:21:26 GMT, Mike Causer wrote:
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 20:39:29 +0000, Nigel Cliffe wrote:

My mum's father was a gamekeeper, and she usually just kept quite as she
wasn't keen on plucking them.

Kitchen full of tiny feathers!

Are you sure about the identification, weasels aren't stoatally different.
(sorry).

Easy. Stoats are stouter.

*chuckle*

If you have both species around the adults are very easy to distinguish.

Stoats have black-tipped tails, weasels don't.

--
Stephen Patterson :: :: http://patter.mine.nu/
GPG: B416F0DE :: Jabber:
Old March 8th 07, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Patter

vernon wrote:
It looks like dead badger season is well and truly upon us. I saw
one last Sunday just outside Harrogate. I saw plenty of other
roadkill especially pheasants - some looking exceeding fresh - what's
the law regarding the gathering of roadkill especially game birds?

Thirty odd years ago, my dad used to say "OK to pick up, so long as you
didn't kill it in your car".
I never understood the logic !

The idea is that it's OK to take game species that have been killed by
other passing traffic, as they are dead anyway and you're saving the
local authorities / landowner from having to clear them up, but it's
still illegal to deliberately kill them yourself and take them away. No
"poaching with a motorcar".

I vaguely remember some daft law where you have to offer the victim to the
next car that comes along.

Old March 8th 07, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Daniel Barlow

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
Are you sure about the identification, weasels aren't stoatally different.

Weasels are weasily recognised

-dan

--
http://www.coruskate.net/
Old March 8th 07, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Cox

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
What was the badger riding?

A stairway to heaven?