Travel by other ?

Old March 14th 07, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Fox

Default Travel by other ?

Following on from TimHenderson's message. . .
Can the team suggest what other might include ?

Unbeliever : "What! You *cycled* all that way!" [eg 5 miles]

You : "Yes of course... ...Err... Well actually no. These are 'air
pump' clips on my ankles; made of 99.5% pure porcelainium[1] you know."

Unbeliever : [confused gurgle]

5 points for getting the Unbeliever to enquire further.

[1] Or in certain circumstances "Yawpoison".

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the pancake business flopped

www.eminent.demon.co.uk - Lots for cyclists
Old March 14th 07, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Peter Fox said the following on 14/03/2007 07:57:

Unbeliever : "What! You *cycled* all that way!" [eg 5 miles]

Oh how true that is! My commute is only a bit over two miles, because
that's how far I live from work. Even then I get that reaction. But a
few years ago a colleague was complaining about the cost of petrol to
get to work, so I suggested he cycle. The response was that it's
alright for me to say that because I live so close, but he lives further
away. Yes, he does. He lives four miles away...

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old March 14th 07, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Helen Deborah Vecht

mb typed

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:43:31 -0700, TimHenderson wrote:

Can the team suggest what other might include ?

Helicopter, piggy-back, rocket-man jet-pack, Star Trek transporter.

Sledge?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old March 14th 07, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

Unbeliever : "What! You *cycled* all that way!" [eg 5 miles]

Oh how true that is! My commute is only a bit over two miles, because
that's how far I live from work. Even then I get that reaction.

I find it's easier to give a time for my commute:

"how far do you commute?"

"About 30 minutes"

This is far less scary than saying 6 miles.
Old March 14th 07, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Paul Boyd usenet.dont.work@plusnet wrote:

Peter Fox said the following on 14/03/2007 07:57:

Unbeliever : "What! You *cycled* all that way!" [eg 5 miles]

Oh how true that is! My commute is only a bit over two miles, because
that's how far I live from work. Even then I get that reaction. But a
few years ago a colleague was complaining about the cost of petrol to
get to work, so I suggested he cycle. The response was that it's
alright for me to say that because I live so close, but he lives further
away. Yes, he does. He lives four miles away...

heh, at my last work, it was allways the folk who drove maybe a a mile
if that a day who complained about fuel... nothing like a good whinge
for some folk!

roger
Old March 14th 07, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Leighton

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 08:58:15 GMT,
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
mb typed

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:43:31 -0700, TimHenderson wrote:

Can the team suggest what other might include ?

Helicopter, piggy-back, rocket-man jet-pack, Star Trek transporter.

Sledge?

Pogo-stick, space-hopper, skis.

Although as a serious suggestion how about pedicab. OK it is a bike but
someone else is doing the work so somebody may put it down as other.

--
Andy Leighton =
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_
Old March 14th 07, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alex Potter

Tony B wrote:

Mechanical Elephant (don't laugh too loud, as a child I remember this
happening at least once)

They had one of those at Dudley Zoo when I was a small.

--
Regards
Alex
Old March 14th 07, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
rola

Mark Thompson wrote:
Unbeliever : "What! You *cycled* all that way!" [eg 5 miles]

Oh how true that is! My commute is only a bit over two miles, because
that's how far I live from work. Even then I get that reaction.

I find it's easier to give a time for my commute:

"how far do you commute?"

"About 30 minutes"

This is far less scary than saying 6 miles.

I'll try that.

Q: How far do you commute.
A: About 30 minutes if the weather's bad, about 2.5 hours if it was like
it was today

Old March 14th 07, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Mark Thompson
pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_t o_reply*.com wrote:

Unbeliever : "What! You *cycled* all that way!" [eg 5 miles]

Oh how true that is! My commute is only a bit over two miles, because
that's how far I live from work. Even then I get that reaction.

I find it's easier to give a time for my commute:

"how far do you commute?"

"About 30 minutes"

This is far less scary than saying 6 miles.

yeah, helps as folks idea of a mile can be some way off.

roger
Old March 14th 07, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 13 Mar, 23:13, Danny Colyer wrote:
TimHenderson wondered:

Can the team suggest what other might include ?

Unicycle.

--
Danny Colyer URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/

Trice, quadricycle etc.

Skateboard isn't unknown, and those folding scooters are quite common
( I suspect scooter refers to the motorbike-alike thingies in the
original list )