Todays Metro

Old April 24th 07, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ziggy

Default Todays Metro

On 24 Apr 2007 15:09:25 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
Under most circumstances, they slow down motorists without speeding
up cyclists significantly (which is why "traffic enraging" Planners
LOVE them), and hence create massive conflict, aggression and assault.
I have seen this, repeatedly, as a cyclist, motorist, passenger and
bus passenger.

What happens is that a motorist gets stuck behind a slow psyclist on
a narrow road (and 2x4.5 metres is narrow if the motorist is driving
a HGV or bus). He eventually finds a gap in the oncoming traffic
and passes, only to miss the next lights because he was held up
behind the cyclist. Whereupon the psyclist undertakes, sneaks into
the advanced stop box, and the process repeats.

What happens after the Nth time? He decides "sod this selfish bugger",
and overtakes the psyclist anyway, with 6" clearance at 30+ MPH. Well,
who gives a damn about such psychlists?

Unfortunately, he then starts treating ALL cyclists the same, and the
innocent suffer for the sins of the guilty. As usual :-(

An interesting point to bear in mind.

Old April 24th 07, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Lord Turkey Cough

"Blonde" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 24 Apr, 12:03, "Jan" wrote:
"Women cyclists more at risk of death"

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....46427&in_page_...

I agree that you do need to be assertive, (not sure about aggressive)
to survive as a cyclist. I am female and have survived thus far so
perhaps I am more assertive than some. I don't think this an excuse to
jump red lights however.

Yes it is. That is preciely what it means. Women are to willing to
mindlessly
folow the highway code/law "because that is what women do".
I ignore all lights and traffic 'law'. The only thing on my mind is getting
from
A to B as quicky and safely as possible.

What a totally OTT, lazy and deliberately
written for 'shock value' peice of reporting.

Well fine if you want to obey the laws so be it. But don't come running to
me
if you get crushed under the wheels of an artic.

Old April 24th 07, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Fox

Following on from Ziggy's message. . .
When we'd finished she calmly announced that she fully understood what we'd
been
discussing but would continue to cycle in the gutter because we got honked by
motorists and she didn't.

Good for trying.

The answer to this one is "Great! It shows they've seen you."

Would she stop cycling all together if people stuck their tongues out at
her? No? Then why is she putting her life at risk for a motorised
equivalent?

Also, the further from the kerb, the faster you can go and the reduced
conflict.

If none of these work then suggest she gives up cycling. (Discuss)

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the adhesive company came unstuck

www.eminent.demon.co.uk - Lots for cyclists
Old April 24th 07, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Lord Turkey Cough

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"Blonde" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 24 Apr, 12:03, "Jan" wrote:
"Women cyclists more at risk of death"

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article....46427&in_page_...

I agree that you do need to be assertive, (not sure about aggressive)
to survive as a cyclist. I am female and have survived thus far so
perhaps I am more assertive than some. I don't think this an excuse to
jump red lights however. What a totally OTT, lazy and deliberately
written for 'shock value' peice of reporting.

Haven't read the article, so not commenting on it specifically.

As regards assertiveness, it's essential to be assertive when cycling in
traffic. It's part of telling motorists what you are doing and when you
are doing it and where you are going. It's not necessary to be aggressive,
IMO, except, perhaps, when having to defend one's self in a bout of road
rage from some idiot in a metal cage, and even then, discretion is often
the better form of valour. I've found that some other female leisure
cyclists I've met are far less assertive than I am, and I get the 'you are
so brave, cycling on your own' line, or the 'it's too dangerous too cycle
out from the gutter'

Which kind of ironic when infact it is far more dangerous to cycle in the
gutter.

Old April 24th 07, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Fox

What it doesn't make clear is whether in the two enumerated instances, the
cyclists cycled along the left of the lorry prior to stopping at the light.

If they did, then I would hardly call that 'cautious'. Neither has it anything
to do with aggression or assertiveness. It's simply suicidal.

You are correct...
....except possibly 80% of cyclists simply don't know this.

How many know how large the blindspots on commercial vehicles are? 5%?

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded

www.eminent.demon.co.uk - Lots for cyclists
Old April 24th 07, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Lord Turkey Cough

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
We know a greater proportion of women than of men die in collision with
lorries.

We know women have shorter feet than men, in general.

And wear the same sized shoes?

I guess that women like to put a foot on the kerb when they stop.

I know that the kerbside is not a good place to stop at traffic lights.

I suspect women don't like to wait in the centre of the lane. I suspect
this might cause problems.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old April 24th 07, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dr Kickstand

If proper blind spot mirrors were fitted as standard by law on trucks,
a lot of these deaths could be avoided.

Drk

www.bikesthatfold.com - Bikes That Fold is a resource for the folding
bike devotee.

Old April 24th 07, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

On Apr 24, 1:02 pm, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

I suspect women don't like to wait in the centre of the lane. I suspect
this might cause problems.

I suspect also that women are more likely to be compliant with the
road markings and stop behind the line at traffic lights and ride in
the cycle lane.

--
Dave...

Old April 24th 07, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Fox

Ah. So how do YOU know when lights are about to turn as you tool up
the psychle lane approaching an advanced stop box past a queue of
traffic, especially when the phase times are variable (as is the case
for many modern lights)?
D) Or what?

D) Is the same for all queues.

The object is to use a space in front of a vehicle for yourself _when
the traffic starts to move off_. To do this you need to be in a
suitable position while the queue is stationary. This /might/ be
squarely in the space in front of the first vehicle, but often there
isn't any space in front of the first vehicle. So what then? Try for
the space between first and second. Many times this will be your
primary objective. Waiting level with the gap between vehicles in full
view of the driver following. You don't have to get in the gap while
stationary, but when it opens up as the vehicle in front moves off you
must be in the right gear ready to claim it for yourself.
* Use either side to overtake. Typically at walking speed or less on
the inside and much faster on the outside.
* If the traffic ahead starts to move then ease in front of a vehicle in
a smooth merge operation at a speed you can fine control and at a
position where there is an opening up gap between vehicles. This will
often be at a very slow speed or you may stop for a second or two and
move off at exactly the right moment when this bit of the queue starts
to move.
* Don't overtake lorries unless you're absolutely sure they won't move
until you're well past them.
* Don't overtake buses unless you're sure they're not going to move.
(They move in mysterious ways.)
* If it appears you can definitely make it to an advanced cycle stop box
then use it (eg If the green man crossing is lit this gives you a few
necessary moments), but like all cycle facilities they are only to be
used if they offer a genuine advantage without compromising safety.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the adhesive company came unstuck

2 Tees Close, Witham, Essex.
Gravity beer in Essex http://www.eminent.demon.co.uk

todays the day!!!! frozenuniman Unicycling 6 August 21st 05 02:54 AM
On todays ride... Chris UK 10 May 31st 05 10:04 AM
Todays ride Ken General 3 May 3rd 05 08:35 PM
Metro Just zis Guy, you know? UK 1 December 10th 04 11:46 AM
Todays Parable cfsmtb Australia 16 April 5th 04 08:00 AM