off-road light

Old September 10th 08, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Craig Wallace

Default off-road light

Paul Rudin wrote:
Having just bought a new off-road bike I want to get a new front lamp so
that I can do some off-road riding in the winter evenings.

I've done a bit of googling and think I might wait until the Lupine
Tesla is out (which should be within the next few weeks). It's pretty
pricey, but looks like a really good quality bit of kit, nice and light,
with good light output for the power consumption, and very good
batteries and
charger. http://www.lupine.de/2009/en/products/lightsets/tesla/4/

Any (dis-)recommendations?

Personally, I'm not convinced of the need for these super bright lights.
Isn't half the fun of off-road night riding in not being able to see
where you're going properly? (unless you are racing perhaps)
I'm still quite happy with my classic Lumicycle halogens (see other
post). Though if I was buying new lights I'd look at the LEDs from Hope
(which look like rather nice lumps of metal), or something from Dinotte.

Worth considering a helmet mounted light as well. It can help to have
the light pointing where you are looking, for going round corners etc.
I'm thinking about getting something like the Dinotte 200L-AA-L as a
helmet light - it's quite cheap, and uses standard AA batteries, which I
think is useful.

--
Craig Wallace
http://craig.neogeo.org.uk
Old September 10th 08, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

I have a set of Ay-Up lights which are excellent for on and off road.
You can mount them on bars, helmets, headbands. Light weight, bright
and almost indestructible.

www.ayup.co.uk

...d
Old September 10th 08, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

I just had a look at the Ay Up lights. They really are sexy! You all
are right, Lumicycle had better get moving or they will be left
behind.

BTW
http://www.ayuplights.co.uk/
is the right URL.