Lights

Old September 24th 08, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

Default Lights

On 23 Sep, 13:47, Martin wrote:
I keep forgetting about Reelites.
I still have never seen any of these in the wild, only in bike shops and
on the web.

I followed some for a way last night. The rear light was not very
bright and being so low down not particularly noticeable either. In
fact the reflector that surrounds the red LED was brighter by
reflecting my flashing front light than was the LED itself.
Old September 24th 08, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Richard

On 22 Sep, 23:33, "Adam Lea" wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message

Hi

I need some lights for a mountain bike for the winter and I'm a bit
confused about those on offer that seem to range from about 10 pounds
to over 600 and all of which seem to describe how bright they are in
different ways.

My journey to work is about 4 miles along an unlit disused railway
line (a rough surface but not extreme off road) and about half a mile
at each end on the road which has street lighting.

Can anyone recommend me some lights please that are powerful enough to
use along the unlit part (how many watts / lumens do I need for this?)
and also legal for the road, and given this as cheap as possible.
Ideally they should be easy to remove from the bike when not in use
and use a power source that can be recharged easily.

Some of the lights I have seen use LEDs, some traditional lightbulbs.
Is there any advantage to either?

Thanks

Richard

I have used these last winter for a 12 mile commute along dark country
lanes:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=15442

and found them pretty good, although the lights are a little fiddly to
attach and remove (I just attach and leave them there all winter). The
Cateye EL530 is also a good option as someone else mentioned.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for all your suggestions - I have ordered an Electron light
system - I like the idea of 2 separate beams, and when it arrives
I'll let you know how I get on with it.

My commute takes about 20-25 minutes in each direction so even on the
highest power it should last long enough.

Regards, Richard
Old September 25th 08, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

On Sep 23, 5:54*pm, David Damerell
wrote:
Quoting *elyob :

And to slightly hijack the thread, if anyone can recommend a small
blinky for putting on my Brompton?

Well, let me hijack it in two directions. For some time I've used a Cateye
TL-LD260 as a backup rear light. I mount 'em on the back of the pannier
rack on the tourer and the roadster. However, this means the brackets get
their tongues broken off. I don't mount them on the seatpost, because I
often use a saddlebag.

I've got a Smart light with a chunkier and less sticky-out bracket, but it
is 2xAAA and my headtorch is 3xAAA (and the 260 will continue to work fine
on the Brompton, so I'll also have a 3xAAA tail light in service), so I
was wondering if anyone could recommend a 3xAAA tail light with a robust
bracket or a mounting option that isn't the seat post and isn't off the
very rear of the bike?

Have you got the pannier rack mounting bracket for Cateye lights? This
is a flat piece with a screw hole either end. See
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwP...c003152c003245

or

http://tinyurl.com/4lp5qo

...d
Old September 25th 08, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting David Martin :
On Sep 23, 5:54=A0pm, David Damerell
on the Brompton, so I'll also have a 3xAAA tail light in service), so I
was wondering if anyone could recommend a 3xAAA tail light with a robust
bracket or a mounting option that isn't the seat post and isn't off the
very rear of the bike?

Have you got the pannier rack mounting bracket for Cateye lights? This

That, alas, looks like it fits the kind with a vertical mount. The 260 has
a horizontal mount which sticks out backwards, which is why it keeps
getting broken.

All my pannier racks do have the plate with holes in that expects to be
mounted to. Hm. I see Cateye no longer do any 3xAAA tail light, but I
might try that if the Smart doesn't work out, since AFAICT _no-one_ makes
3xAAA tail lights anymore. Sigh.
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!
Today is Saturday, September - a weekend.
Old September 26th 08, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

On Sep 25, 6:17*pm, David Damerell
wrote:
Quoting *David Martin :

On Sep 23, 5:54=A0pm, David Damerell
on the Brompton, so I'll also have a 3xAAA tail light in service), so I
was wondering if anyone could recommend a 3xAAA tail light with a robust
bracket or a mounting option that isn't the seat post and isn't off the
very rear of the bike?

Have you got the pannier rack mounting bracket for Cateye lights? This

That, alas, looks like it fits the kind with a vertical mount. The 260 has
a horizontal mount which sticks out backwards, which is why it keeps
getting broken.

I'm not sure I follow your description.. The cateye lights can be
mounted in any one of three orientations.

*googles*

Ah! Just get a 2AAA light and be done with it, one that mounts cleanly
and doesn't get broken. Is there any particular reason to demand a
3AAA light?

...d
Old September 29th 08, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting David Martin :
Ah! Just get a 2AAA light and be done with it, one that mounts cleanly
and doesn't get broken. Is there any particular reason to demand a
3AAA light?

My headtorch and the battery rear light on the Brompton (where a
horizontal pattern Cateye fits to the very top of the old-style seatpost,
above the clamp, and just peers out under the saddle, which works whether
or not I have a saddlebag and doesn't interfere with the fold or stick out
to get whacked) are 3xAAA.

If _all_ my lights are 3xAAA, this means it's trivial to ensure an even
service cycle for all the rechargeables. It also means if I have some sort
of spare battery cockup I can cadge the tail light's batteries for the
headtorch, if I need the headtorch more.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Today is First Brieday, September.

Maybe it's safer to run red lights than to wait for green lights. SMS General 16 September 24th 08 09:51 PM
Light Theft (solutions — small pocket lights, or heavy duty well secured lights?) David Johnson UK 24 August 29th 07 02:32 PM
Lights BrakePiston UK 8 April 29th 04 09:20 PM
Lights Doki UK 17 April 29th 04 08:41 PM
Break lights turn lights and handle bar lights Truepurple Techniques 30 November 17th 03 04:02 AM