Cycle Parking at Halls of Residence

Old September 29th 08, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TerryJ

Default Cycle Parking at Halls of Residence

We're trying to build a case for a good level of cycle parking at a halls
of residence. Does anyone have any experience of the proportion of
students in halls in the UK that own cycles, or perhaps more importantly
would like to own cycles?

The student cycle parking at the University of East London is
fantastic.

i have just sent boys up to leicester and southampton.Both places
assume that practically everyone will be cycling and have cycleparks
and cages all over the place. Locked sheds and cages available at the
residences and sheffield or better stands in abundance.I thought this
was normal for a uni..

When they provide the parking places remember they need to be where
you want them, not round the back in the cellar 200metres away If it
takes too long to get your bike out or park it the whole point of
cycling is diminished.

when I was a student in london I was not aware that I particularly
enjoyed cycling. when the lbs man invited me to herne hill for a
practice I was a bit surprised at the idea of cycling when you don't
have to. Compared to train or bus or car a bike was quicker ,
cheaper ,more reliable, always available and door to door.And even
when nobody had cycle facilities you chained it to a lampost or
railings at the college..The idea of a uni that does not encourage
cycling is quite ridiculous.
TerryJ
Old September 29th 08, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat[_2_]

"TerryJ" wrote in message

When they provide the parking places remember they need to be where
you want them, not round the back in the cellar 200metres away If it
takes too long to get your bike out or park it the whole point of
cycling is diminished.

Last year Wafflycat Minor was in his first year of uni and in hall of
residence accommodation (UEA). Right outside the front door of the hall was
some excellent secure/weather resistant cycle parking. Substantial timber
frame building (looked as if it was made from upmarket railway sleepers..)
with keypad lock on the door. Inside were loads of Sheffield stands.
Excellent. Bikes locked to stands, stands within substantial locked
structure. To use it you had to apply to campus security who took your
details before giving you the keypad access number. All over the campus were
similar structures and other types of secure, undercover bike parking as
well as Sheffield stands out in the open and bikes locked to metal railings
all over the place.

Old September 29th 08, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

TerryJ wrote:

i have just sent boys up to leicester and southampton.Both places
assume that practically everyone will be cycling and have cycleparks
and cages all over the place. Locked sheds and cages available at the
residences and sheffield or better stands in abundance.I thought this
was normal for a uni..

It was normal at Leicester when I was there back in the 80s, but of
course back then it was fairly rare for students to have cars and with
the halls at Oadby being a few miles from the main campus it was very
common to cycle in, so you had the infrastructure back then and I would
guess no call to remove it.

Campuses with on-site accommodation, or ones with little in the way of
their own formal residences, might be quite a different matter.

The idea of a uni that does not encourage
cycling is quite ridiculous.

(a) yes; but (b) don't think that's any sort of barrier!

Dundee are better than lip-service, but they've got a long way to go
before I'd really called it "encouragement".

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old September 29th 08, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
AdamB

I must admit when I was at Notts Uni this year for a Summer school I was
amazed that there was *no provision for cycle parking at the HoR,

Marc, I'm a little confused. Don't know which Hall of Residence in
Nottingham you were looking at, but most have secure sheds for
residents where you have to apply to the porter for a key and pay a
deposit (the procedure varies from hall to hall, I believe). The
parking provision on campus is very limited, and I understand is not
available at most halls to undergraduate students except under
extenuating circumstances.

Adam

Old September 29th 08, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

AdamB wrote:
I must admit when I was at Notts Uni this year for a Summer school I was
amazed that there was no provision for cycle parking at the HoR,

Marc, I'm a little confused. Don't know which Hall of Residence in
Nottingham you were looking at,

Not looking at , staying in. Lenton & Wortley

but most have secure sheds for
residents where you have to apply to the porter for a key and pay a
deposit (the procedure varies from hall to hall, I believe).

If there was it was the best kept secret of the whole week!

Old September 29th 08, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sir Jeremy

On 28 Sep, 22:27, "wafflycat" wrote:
"Gerald H" wrote in message

om...

We're trying to build a case for a good level of cycle parking at a halls
of residence. *Does anyone have any experience of the proportion of
students in halls in the UK that own cycles, or perhaps more importantly
would like to own cycles?

For my local uni, see

http://www.uea.ac.uk/~r070/

the web site for the Bicycle User Group
The BUG email contact is given athttp://www.uea.ac.uk/~r070/contact.html
why not drop them a line to see what the state of play is there. There are a
lot of cycles used - outside the halls of residence are a mixture of secure
and weather-resistant cycle sheds and open cycle sheds. There's bikes all
over campus - students and staff alike using bikes.

My lad went to UEA. Halls in first year- bike parking outside, no cars
allowed. He took his bike but found it easier to walk to lectures and
take a bus into town, so we picked the bike up and took it home. When
he bought a car in the March of his first year he had to park it on
the road outside. He drove in from private rented houses in his 2nd
and 3rd years
Old September 29th 08, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman[_3_]

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 20:27:26 +0100, Gerald H wrote:

We're trying to build a case for a good level of cycle parking at a halls
of residence. Does anyone have any experience of the proportion of
students in halls in the UK that own cycles, or perhaps more importantly
would like to own cycles?

I was at Loughborough. I think all halls had some sort of bike storage.
The ones I was in were big wooden sheds about the size of shipping
container with some attempt at metal racks inside. Keys were free but you
had to register and pay a £10 deposit. Not amazing but did the job and
they were pretty well used.
There were about 25 spaces in each big shed, 5 sheds and 750 students in
my hall. (Some sheds had more than 25 bikes in them!)

Some of them weren't ever cleared out so you couldn't get in.
Additionally there were some open (but with a roof) racks by entrances
which were a thiefs dream as they were hidden and had no lighting.

The campus had (mostly) sheffield stands all over the place and most were
always full so bikes were locked to anything that couldn't be moved (and
things that could sometimes..). I think these were mostly used by
students living off campus as the journey was further in so bike was a bit
more practical.

My impression was that there were more cars on the campus roads than
cycles, but substantially more people walked or got around by bus. Hardly
any car parking was provided for students, probably less than the number
of bike spaces in halls. The university really discouraged using cars on
campus which really peed off some students (why can't I keep my car here
so I can drive to my lectures which are 2 minutes walk away?),
consequently many people parked on the surrounding streets which peed off
the locals despite university parking being 'banned' on the streets.

The university has a bicycle user group and before I left I know they did
a parking facility survey. I'm sure someone would answer any
questions you have http://www.lboro.ac.uk/staff_groups/lubug/

I was at Nottingham University once and noticed a large bike storage
area under a departmental building. It was well lit, had a glass front, a
load of sheffield stands and access was via swipe card. It didn't have
any bikes in it!

peter
Old September 29th 08, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TerryJ

On 29 Sep, 20:08, naked_draughtsman
wrote:
On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 20:27:26 +0100, Gerald H wrote:
We're trying to build a case for a good level of cycle parking at a halls
of residence. Does anyone have any experience of the proportion of
students in halls in the UK that own cycles, or perhaps more importantly
would like to own cycles?

This is a little off topic, but to continue my description of
southampton I must say i have just been for a walk round town and
found that of the 10 or so bikes we saw only one had a light( rear
only) and he was the one on the road. The others were all darkly
dressed, unlit, no reflectors, and expected any pedestrian to get out
of the way.this is not cycling as it should be in my opinion. Perhaps
provision for cyclists might be accompanied by some encouragement of
sensible precautons and consideration for others.
TerrryJ
Old September 29th 08, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin Blackburn[_2_]

Marc wrote:
AdamB wrote:
I must admit when I was at Notts Uni this year for a Summer school I was
amazed that there was no provision for cycle parking at the HoR,

Marc, I'm a little confused. Don't know which Hall of Residence in
Nottingham you were looking at,

Not looking at , staying in. Lenton & Wortley

Hmm, I was also staying in Lenton this summer for my OU summer school.
Didn't take a bike so I didn't think about cycle storage. Didn't notice
any but I did notice a couple of cycling summer school residents.

but most have secure sheds for
residents where you have to apply to the porter for a key and pay a
deposit (the procedure varies from hall to hall, I believe).

If there was it was the best kept secret of the whole week!

It certainly didn't seem to be something the OU admin had open
information about.

PS What course (or courses if you stayed in two halls)? I was on MSXR209.

Colin

Old September 29th 08, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

On 29 Sep, 22:29, Colin Blackburn wrote:
Marc wrote:
AdamB wrote:
I must admit when I was at Notts Uni this year for a Summer school I was
amazed that there was no provision for cycle parking at the HoR,

Marc, I'm a little confused. Don't know which Hall of Residence in
Nottingham you were looking at,

Not looking at , staying in. Lenton & Wortley

Hmm, I was also staying in Lenton this summer for my OU summer school.
Didn't take a bike so I didn't think about cycle storage. Didn't notice
any but I did notice a couple of cycling summer school residents.

but most have secure sheds for
residents where you have to apply to the porter for a key and pay a
deposit (the procedure varies from hall to hall, I believe).

If there was it was the best kept secret of the whole week!

It certainly didn't seem to be something the OU admin had open
information about.

I went to Nottingham for a meeting afew years back (eScience All
Hands). No trouble obtaining a key to the spacious bike sheds for the
accommodation block.

Pete: I presume you are referring to provision at Wimberley? The new
on site accommodation (Heathfield and Belmont) has loads of secure
bike storage - something the private flats in the Hub don't appear to
have.

...d