Zipp track wheels

Old December 10th 06, 08:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tony

Default Zipp track wheels

Hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question

A question about Zipp rims. I have a pair of Zipp 404's laced up to Dura Ace
track hubs. The problem I have is they are not balanced, ie. the valve seems
the be throwing the wheel out of balance, I really noticed it last night at
the Sydney Olympic track, you get a slight jerky feeling when at speed.

Is there any sense in attaching some sort of weight to the rim to counter
this.

Old December 10th 06, 10:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tony wrote:
Hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question

A question about Zipp rims. I have a pair of Zipp 404's laced up to Dura Ace
track hubs. The problem I have is they are not balanced, ie. the valve seems
the be throwing the wheel out of balance, I really noticed it last night at
the Sydney Olympic track, you get a slight jerky feeling when at speed.

Is there any sense in attaching some sort of weight to the rim to counter
this.

Are you sure it isn't a lump in the tire?

Joseph

Old December 10th 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Tony wrote:
Hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question

A question about Zipp rims. I have a pair of Zipp 404's laced up to Dura Ace
track hubs. The problem I have is they are not balanced, ie. the valve seems
the be throwing the wheel out of balance, I really noticed it last night at
the Sydney Olympic track, you get a slight jerky feeling when at speed.

Is there any sense in attaching some sort of weight to the rim to counter
this.

Well, all wheels are like this somewhat but you can get a fishing
weight and wrap it around the spoke opposite the valve and spin it in
the stand to see if that helps..but like the other gent asked, it may
be a lumpy tire.

Old December 10th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kinky Cowboy

On 10 Dec 2006 05:10:47 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:

Tony wrote:
Hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question

A question about Zipp rims. I have a pair of Zipp 404's laced up to Dura Ace
track hubs. The problem I have is they are not balanced, ie. the valve seems
the be throwing the wheel out of balance, I really noticed it last night at
the Sydney Olympic track, you get a slight jerky feeling when at speed.

Is there any sense in attaching some sort of weight to the rim to counter
this.

Well, all wheels are like this somewhat but you can get a fishing
weight and wrap it around the spoke opposite the valve and spin it in
the stand to see if that helps..but like the other gent asked, it may
be a lumpy tire.

Yeah, much more likely to a problem with the wheel not being circular
than the trivial mass imbalance. The static load on the wheels is so
much greater than the dynamic load caused by the eccentric mass that
there's no way you'd notice it while riding. Check the tyre at the
tread crown for any radial or axial runout; I'm assuming it's a
tubular, and you've probably got it on skew whiff or there's a few
broken threads causing it to bulge. It needs remounting or replacing,
according to which of these is the cause.

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

Old December 10th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tony wrote:
Hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question

A question about Zipp rims. I have a pair of Zipp 404's laced up to Dura Ace
track hubs. The problem I have is they are not balanced, ie. the valve seems
the be throwing the wheel out of balance, I really noticed it last night at
the Sydney Olympic track, you get a slight jerky feeling when at speed.

Is there any sense in attaching some sort of weight to the rim to counter
this.

I've noticed weight imbalance on my clinchers, I assume due to my valve
extensions. Some people have removed the extensions after pumping
(might be a touch more aero, too). But I've never worried much about
it. I don't think it slows you down (much).

P.S. I didn't think I'd notice it, but I was surprised. Noticable, but
not significant perhaps?

Old December 10th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Tony wrote:
snip
Is there any sense in attaching some sort of weight to the rim to counter
this.

if that really is the problem, sure. it's done to car and motorcycle
wheels, so why not to yours? simple enough to do.
Old December 10th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil Holman

"Tony" wrote in message
Hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question

A question about Zipp rims. I have a pair of Zipp 404's laced up to
Dura Ace
track hubs. The problem I have is they are not balanced, ie. the valve
seems
the be throwing the wheel out of balance, I really noticed it last
night at
the Sydney Olympic track, you get a slight jerky feeling when at
speed.

Is there any sense in attaching some sort of weight to the rim to
counter
this.

You can use lead tape (used for adding weight to golf clubs) to balance
the wheels but my put is that it is something other than imbalance.
Either a bump in the tire or the wheel is not true.

Phil H