what date is it today?

Old February 19th 07, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
p.k.

Default what date is it today?

pk

Old February 19th 07, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Hmmm..

"A modified version, which has smaller wheels and on which the cyclist
faces forward..."

So, just like a normal bike?

"But the Sideways Bike would need amending before riding on the UK
streets because riding the current model would mean the cyclist had his
back to the traffic."

Uh? Don't we all normally cycle with our back to the traffic?

"A left-hand corner, for instance, will be approached with a move to the
right, as it would on a normal bike."

Since when has moving right been normal before a left turn.

Nope - it's definitely April 1st today, so do I claim the prize? :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old February 19th 07, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

p.k. wrote:

This has been around for a while now, I first saw it in Velovision many
moons ago.

He's never really made more claims for it than it's a bit different and
fun, though here the suggestion that it's more usefully manoeuvrable is
perhaps taking things further than necessary.

As with side-saddle equestrian riding, if it tickles your fancy then why
not?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old February 19th 07, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John B

Paul Boyd wrote:

"A left-hand corner, for instance, will be approached with a move to the
right, as it would on a normal bike."

Since when has moving right been normal before a left turn.

It is often the safest thing to do when there is other traffic around. If
riding along in the secondary road position, you should look behind, and
move to the right into the primary position before the turn left.
This will help prevent following vehicles from overtaking as you turn.

So moving right before turning left is technically correct, but it should
be done on _any_ bike, not just this contraption.

John B

Old February 19th 07, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Paul Boyd
('usenet.dont.work@plusnet') wrote:

"A left-hand corner, for instance, will be approached with a move to the
right, as it would on a normal bike."

Since when has moving right been normal before a left turn.

Jobst Brandt believes that it is. From photographic evidence it appears
that he can ride a bike, so I don't know how he can hold this view; but he
does, most vociferously.

;; Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
Old February 19th 07, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Braggins

In article , Peter Clinch wrote:
p.k. wrote:

He's never really made more claims for it than it's a bit different and
fun, though here the suggestion that it's more usefully manoeuvrable is
perhaps taking things further than necessary.

As is the "It has been hailed as the first major development in bicycle
design for 150 years", even if it has been toned down slightly from the
200 years he claimed here last time he was desperately hyping the thing.
(150 years still includes the wire spoked wheel, Dunlop's pneumatic tyre,
and the chain driven "safety".)

Old February 19th 07, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Anthony Jones

Simon Brooke wrote:
Since when has moving right been normal before a left turn.

Jobst Brandt believes that it is. From photographic evidence it appears
that he can ride a bike, so I don't know how he can hold this view; but he
does, most vociferously.

You mean countersteering?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering

Anthony
Old February 19th 07, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Anthony Jones said the following on 19/02/2007 15:34:

You mean countersteering?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering

My first reaction to that is "what a load of crap!". Tonight I'll be
analysing my subconscious steering technique to see if it really is a
load of crap...

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old February 19th 07, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Duncan Smith

As is the "It has been hailed as the first major development in bicycle
design for 150 years", even if it has been toned down slightly from the
200 years he claimed here last time he was desperately hyping the thing.
(150 years still includes the wire spoked wheel, Dunlop's pneumatic tyre,
and the chain driven "safety".)

....Not forgetting the Hyper-bike..http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/bikes/
hyperbike-great-but-were-not-riding-it-230259.php

Regards,

Duncan.

Old February 19th 07, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Anthony Jones

Paul Boyd wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering

My first reaction to that is "what a load of crap!". Tonight I'll be
analysing my subconscious steering technique to see if it really is a
load of crap...

Try riding no handed, and pushing one side of the bar away with a fingertip
(so that it's completely clear that you can only turn the bars in one
direction).

I'd suggest you do this away from traffic, especially considering you'll end
up turning in the opposite direction to the one you might expect.

Anthony