guardian - puncture repair

Old March 5th 07, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Default guardian - puncture repair

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...022386,00.html

Couple of things here strike me as just plain wrong.

1) They advocate removing the tyre completely.
(points 4 and 8)
This just seems to be extra work for no benefit.

2) They advocate using tyre levers
to put the tyre back on. (points 9,10).

They do mention being "careful not to pinch the tube",
but especially at the last stage, IME
it's really easy to to just that, defeating
the entire point of the exercise( mending a puncture)

This (to me) seems much better:
Old March 5th 07, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article ,
bugbear
_trim says...
http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...022386,00.html

Couple of things here strike me as just plain wrong.

1) They advocate removing the tyre completely.
(points 4 and 8)
This just seems to be extra work for no benefit.

Makes it much easier to check inside the tyre for sharp objects or
carcass damage, and involves minimal effort.

2) They advocate using tyre levers
to put the tyre back on. (points 9,10).

They do mention being "careful not to pinch the tube",
but especially at the last stage, IME
it's really easy to to just that, defeating
the entire point of the exercise( mending a puncture)

I wouldn't say it's really easy, but it's a distinct possibility.

This (to me) seems much better:

What does?
Old March 5th 07, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

bugbear wrote:
They do mention being "careful not to pinch the tube",
but especially at the last stage, IME
it's really easy to to just that, defeating
the entire point of the exercise( mending a puncture)

This (to me) seems much better:

(bugger, hit send by accident!...)

I meant this:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-fa...ection-38.html

Which is what I was taught in my local bike shop.

I have NEVER had a tyre I can't put on by
hand, and I've done a wide range.

BugBear
Old March 5th 07, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

bugbear wrote:

I have NEVER had a tyre I can't put on by
hand, and I've done a wide range.

Either you have never tried to put a 16" Schwalbe Marathon on a standard
Brompton rim, or you are two separate gorillas...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old March 5th 07, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
Peter Clinch tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:
bugbear wrote:

I have NEVER had a tyre I can't put on by
hand, and I've done a wide range.

Either you have never tried to put a 16" Schwalbe Marathon on a
standard Brompton rim, or you are two separate gorillas...

Hurrah! I am become two separate gorillas! On Saturday I managed to refit
a 406 Marathon Racer without recourse to the VAR tyre lever for the first
time in the history of all things ever.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old March 5th 07, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 5 Mar, 10:32, bugbear wrote:
Couple of things here strike me as just plain wrong.

1) They advocate removing the tyre completely.
(points 4 and 8)
This just seems to be extra work for no benefit.

Well if you're going to replace the tube rather than fix the puncture
by the road removing it (the tube) is not optional.
But I agree, if the puncture is easy to find then it is often easier
to leave the wheel on the bike and most of the tyre on the wheel, just
pop out the section you need to fix.

Old March 5th 07, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Peter Clinch wrote:
bugbear wrote:

I have NEVER had a tyre I can't put on by
hand, and I've done a wide range.

Either you have never tried to put a 16" Schwalbe Marathon on a
standard Brompton rim,

or a 700C Marathon Plus on an MA2 rim*

or you are two separate gorillas...

* I had to use *two* levers.

~PB

Old March 5th 07, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

bugbear wrote:
http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...022386,00.html

Couple of things here strike me as just plain wrong.

1) They advocate removing the tyre completely.
(points 4 and 8)
This just seems to be extra work for no benefit.

You can check the tyre, rim and tube better like that, and it's easier to
work on the tube (if not replacing it). It's hardly any extra work if the
wheel is already removed. The wheel can be left on though if it's obvious
where the puncture is and it's convenient for you patch it there and then.

2) They advocate using tyre levers
to put the tyre back on. (points 9,10).

Not ideal but sometimes necessary, IME, with certain tyre and rim
combinations.

~PB

Old March 5th 07, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , bugbear
') wrote:

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...022386,00.html

Couple of things here strike me as just plain wrong.

1) They advocate removing the tyre completely.
(points 4 and 8)

So do I. You save nothing by footling about, and it's much easier to check
the tyre for thorns, etc, when it's off the wheel.

2) They advocate using tyre levers
to put the tyre back on. (points 9,10).

So do I. You can often put them on by hand, but it's a lot easier with
levers.

Old March 5th 07, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting Peter Clinch :
bugbear wrote:
I have NEVER had a tyre I can't put on by
hand, and I've done a wide range.

Either you have never tried to put a 16" Schwalbe Marathon on a standard
Brompton rim, or you are two separate gorillas...

I can do that. I used to be a bellringer, which means I have extremely
powerful thumbs.

A 700x23C GP3000 has defeated me, though.
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!
Today is Epithumia, March - a weekend.