Travel by other ?

Old March 13th 07, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TimHenderson

Default Travel by other ?

I've just got bogged down browsing at the Neighbourhood Statistics
site at

http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/

Among other things it told me that in my local output area 3 of the
186 workers usually travelled by bike, but three travelled by other.

It gave as the meaning of other :

All people aged 16 to 74 in employment, and usually resident in the
area at the time of the 2001 Census, whose main method of travel to
work was 'other'. 'Other' includes all methods of travel to work other
than Underground, Metro, Light rail, Tram, Train, Bus, Mini bus,
Coach, Motorcycle, Moped, Scooter, Driving a car or van, Passenger in
a car or van, Taxi or minicab, Bicycle or 'on foot'. It also excludes
working at home, no fixed place of work, working at an offshore
installation or working outside the UK. Where more than one method of
travel was used, the main method was determined as the longest
distance.

Can the team suggest what other might include ?

Other than elephants, horses (and variants) and tricycles I am
struggling. Would rollerblades be "on foot" or other ?

Old March 13th 07, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon

--

Helicopter? Light aircraft? Lorry? Tank? Tractor?

Old March 13th 07, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Tue, 13 Mar, Phil Cook wrote:
TimHenderson wrote:

[...]

Ones I can reasonably fore-see using:

Helicopter. Aeroplane. Swimming. Cablecar. Sleigh. Skiing.
Any cart or trap.

You've already got riding any animal.

In Hong Kong they have a public transport system of escalators and
moving walkways, up from Central to the Midlevels. I'm assuming your
local census area is not Hong Kong, but a similar system could be
built elsewhere. This might he 'on foot', but by that definition most
Underground travel is much more 'on foot'.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old March 13th 07, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message . com,
TimHenderson ') wrote:

[...]

Ferry? Rowing boat? Other waterborne transport? Private helicopter?

;; MS Windows: A thirty-two bit extension ... to a sixteen bit
;; patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a
;; four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that
;; can't stand one bit of competition -- anonymous

Old March 13th 07, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony B

TimHenderson wrote:

Can the team suggest what other might include ?

Tuesdays and Thursdays (my sister goes to work on Tuesdays and Thursdays)

TARDIS or other extra terrestrial vehicle.

Skates or skateboard.

Those daft segway wotsits.

Sinclair C5

Mechanical Elephant (don't laugh too loud, as a child I remember this
happening at least once)

Steam Engine a la Fred Dibnah

Oh, and don't forget the seventies campaign: go to work on an egg

hth,

Tony B

Old March 13th 07, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick Kew

On 13 Mar 2007 14:43:31 -0700
"TimHenderson" wrote:

It gave as the meaning of other :

Someone comes past my bedroom onna skateboard at an obscene hour
each morning. Bloody noisy thing:-(

But in a box-ticking exercise, it might for example include people
who use different means and didn't want to tick one box. Like those
who drive when carrying a computer but otherwise cycle.

--
not me guv
Old March 13th 07, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

TimHenderson wondered:
Can the team suggest what other might include ?

Unicycle.

--
Danny Colyer URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
Old March 13th 07, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

TimHenderson wrote:

Can the team suggest what other might include ?

Ona Plane.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/g...re/6308779.stm
BBC NEWS | England | Gloucestershire | Green adviser's 500-mile commute

Martin.
Old March 14th 07, 07:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
vernon

"Tony B" wrote in message
TimHenderson wrote:

Can the team suggest what other might include ?

Tuesdays and Thursdays (my sister goes to work on Tuesdays and Thursdays)

Oh, and don't forget the seventies campaign: go to work on an egg

hth,

Tony B

Some quality answers here Tony!