That's my smug moment for the year.

Old March 16th 07, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

Default That's my smug moment for the year.

I went out on the bicycle for a couple of hours this morning. Left house.
Went to end of lane to turn left on to main road through the village. There
was some traffic approaching, so I waited. In the traffic was a cyclist. It
was a man, younger than me by a long way. He was also considerably slimmer
than me. He was riding a new'ish but cheapo hybrid of the sort seen in Argos
and was wearing t-shirt, tracksuit bottoms & trainers. He was making a job
of it as he trundled along in the gutter. As he passed by I said "Morning!"
He ignored me. He kept his eyes straight ahead and ignored the middle-aged
fat bird in Lycra roadie wear on the road bike who was waiting to turn out
from the side road.

Traffic cleared. I pulled out & turned left. At this point, I feel it only
fair to point out that when I first get on my bike of a ride, I am *slower
than slow* I don't do fast at the best of times, but like a tired old petrol
lawnmower, I take a bit of revving up to get going first thing. A little up
the road was hybrid-man. So I pedalled as normal and found myself overtaking
him within a hundred yards of home. As I passed him I said, "Morning again!
Lovely day for a bike ride!" and then disappeared off into the distance
ahead.

Hah! Eat my pedal dust sucker! That'll teach hybrid-man to ignore the
fatbirdonaroadbike!

I think I shall count that as my smug moment of 2007, as it's the only time
I'm likely to be overtaking anyone on a bike ;D

Old March 16th 07, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman[_2_]

"wafflycat" wrote in message
snip

I think I shall count that as my smug moment of 2007, as it's the only
time I'm likely to be overtaking anyone on a bike ;D

He's probably not going to be the last one you come across!

My smug moment was probably yeasterday when I went to get my bike to go home
and having limited space due to a group of girls in a car parked in the way.
Got out anyway and headed off down the road. The group of girls caught up
with me at the top of the hill but couldn't get past because it's twisty and
you can't see and there's other cars parked in stupid places etc.
I got to the straight downhill bit and started accelerating as I normally
do, but as I've got my nice speedy tyres on I was gaining speed much faster
than normal. The car pulled out to overtake, tried to change up a gear but
missed it and made an awful crunching noise and by the time they got it back
in gear again they'd slowed down a bit and there wasn't any space to
overtake me again so they had to follow me all the way to the main road
where I nipped onto the cycle lane while they were waiting to get out of the
junction.
I'd like to think they'll swap to bikes now they've seen how much slower
their metal box is than the fat*******inshortsonabike but I doubt it.

--
peter

Cheap train tickets database
http://www.petereverett.co.uk/tickets/

Email sent to this address is generally deleted upon arrival
Visit website if you want to contact me

Old March 16th 07, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx

naked_draughtsman typed:
"wafflycat" wrote in message
snip

I think I shall count that as my smug moment of 2007, as it's the
only time I'm likely to be overtaking anyone on a bike ;D

He's probably not going to be the last one you come across!

I'd like to think they'll swap to bikes now they've seen how much
slower their metal box is than the fat*******inshortsonabike but I
doubt it.

Heh, smugness abounds.

With some mates, having a laugh, them in a Range Rover Sport, me on the
bike, I reckoned I could beat them into town, photo at Law Courts and
back out to 'the sticks' again. I did.

Close though ... roadworks helped ...

--
Paul - xxx

Old March 16th 07, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Paul - xxx wrote:

Heh, smugness abounds.

With some mates, having a laugh, them in a Range Rover Sport, me on the
bike, I reckoned I could beat them into town, photo at Law Courts and
back out to 'the sticks' again. I did.

Close though ... roadworks helped ...

So when is the going to be on Top Gear? :-)

Old March 16th 07, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Phil Cook wrote:

Paul - xxx wrote:

Heh, smugness abounds.

With some mates, having a laugh, them in a Range Rover Sport, me on the
bike, I reckoned I could beat them into town, photo at Law Courts and
back out to 'the sticks' again. I did.

Close though ... roadworks helped ...

So when is the going to be on Top Gear? :-)

Ahem when is this....
Old March 16th 07, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick Kew

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 14:07:26 -0000
"naked_draughtsman" wrote:

My smug moment was ...

That'll be the naked bit you drew on.

--
not me guv
Old March 16th 07, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dundonald

On 16 Mar, 13:02, "wafflycat" wrote:
[...]

He's probably just cycled 20 miles with a good few hundred metres of
ascent!

Old March 16th 07, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Elisa Francesca Roselli

wafflycat wrote:

Hah! Eat my pedal dust sucker! That'll teach hybrid-man to ignore the
fatbirdonaroadbike!

I pity the poor man. He's probably like me, completely incapable of
taking in anything other than the point a few meters ahead where he is
directing his bike with all his earthly concentration. And like me, he
would probably have fallen off in the confusion of acknowledging you,
had he done so.

Cheers,

EFR
Ile de France
Old March 16th 07, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just Visiting

"wafflycat" wrote in message
I think I shall count that as my smug moment of 2007, as it's the only

time
I'm likely to be overtaking anyone on a bike ;D

Maybe he was a bit worried about being accosted by a woman smothered in
toothpaste?

First SPD moment DavidR UK 6 May 6th 06 12:43 PM
Classic 4WD moment DeF Australia 30 March 22nd 06 07:55 AM
Smug archierob UK 4 September 13th 05 01:40 PM
1st Really Scary Moment AndyP UK 6 November 26th 03 10:12 AM