What does the amazing success of the British Cycling Team mean forcyclists?

Old August 18th 08, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

Default What does the amazing success of the British Cycling Team mean forcyclists?

I'm tremendously optimistic, it's raised the profile of cycling, thus
normalising it in the worst country in Europe for anti-cyclist
sentiment. I think the Team GB cyclists have shown drivers that bikes
can move damn fast. The spending of the £4m Lottery Cash
revolutionised the sport and other sports leaders are looking at how
and why the cycling coaching and technological innovations worked so
brilliantly.

There is a faction out there (tons of them on the Evening Standard
website or BBC Have Your Say) who hate cyclists. This isn't an
exaggeration, we've all also seen the comments on local newspaper
websites that are a cycling slagfest- "and they don't pay road tax"
and similar muppetry.

I'd imagine the cyclists' success in Beijing ****es these bods off no
end, and it gives me a lovely warm glow.

Speak your brains here.
Old August 18th 08, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

spindrift wrote:

[...]

probably zero, to be honest. if your not into bikes, it may well have
passed you by, hasn't helped with Russia and georgia playing some very
dangerious games.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old August 18th 08, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jeff York

spindrift wrote:

I'd imagine the cyclists' success in Beijing ****es these bods off no
end, and it gives me a lovely warm glow.

I'm on record as strongly "pro car" and probably fall into your
categorisation of "these bods", however, I think that the performance
of Britain's Olympic cyclists is absolutely superb!

So there!!! :-)

Old August 18th 08, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Erik Sandblom

Den 2008-08-18 16:07:32 skrev Roger Merriman :

spindrift wrote:

There is a faction out there (tons of them on the Evening Standard
website or BBC Have Your Say) who hate cyclists. This isn't an
exaggeration, we've all also seen the comments on local newspaper
websites that are a cycling slagfest- "and they don't pay road tax"
and similar muppetry.

I'd imagine the cyclists' success in Beijing ****es these bods off no
end, and it gives me a lovely warm glow.

Speak your brains here.

probably zero, to be honest. if your not into bikes, it may well have
passed you by

Spindrift is saying that a lot of people are getting really worked up over
cycling and think cycling is stupid/silly/whatever. Since these people are
already worked up over it, they are likely to listen up when British
cyclists do well in the Olympics. The success might well give them
something new to think about.

Erik Sandblom
--
Oil is for sissies
Old August 18th 08, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike P

Jeff York wrote:
spindrift wrote:

I'd imagine the cyclists' success in Beijing ****es these bods off no
end, and it gives me a lovely warm glow.

I'm on record as strongly "pro car" and probably fall into your
categorisation of "these bods", however, I think that the performance
of Britain's Olympic cyclists is absolutely superb!

I'm a pro car cyclist ;-)

However I think that it will have the same effect as Tim Henman/Andy Murray
doing well at Wimbledon has. A little interest for about two weeks, then it
will (rightly or wrongly) all be forgotten about.

Mike P

Old August 18th 08, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On Aug 18, 3:27*pm, "Mike P" wrote:
Jeff York wrote:
spindrift wrote:

I'd imagine the cyclists' success in Beijing ****es these bods off no
end, and it gives me a lovely warm glow.

I'm on record as strongly "pro car" and probably fall into your
categorisation of "these bods", however, I think that the performance
of Britain's Olympic cyclists is absolutely superb!

I'm a pro car cyclist ;-)

However I think that it will have the same effect as Tim Henman/Andy Murray
doing well at Wimbledon has. A little interest for about two weeks, then it
will (rightly or wrongly) all be forgotten about.

Mike P

Well, it certainly bodes well for 2012. If Boris doesn't soil his
trousers or fall into The Olympic Flame next Sunday when he's handed
the Olympic flag then we have a tremendous four year build-up to the
greatest sporting event London's ever staged featuring cyclists as the
single most exciting and successful team.

Team GB Cyclists are on course to win more medals at Beijing than the
ENTIRE Team GB Athens athletes.

Here's my next reality show pitch- get Edmund King or one of the ABD
chuffers to work as a cycle courier for a week in London, helmet cam
provided.

I can see the ABD bod having an epiphany, meekly apologising for
daring doubt that many drivers are muppets and apologise on behalf of
all motorists, just as the worst cycling behaviour is held up as
typical or representative of all of us.

OK, you could say that most cycling medals were on track, but the
first two were on road.

It normalises us, interviews with cyclists after a win that shows that
cyclists are normal, perfectly pleasant men and women.

The coverage has been encouraging and supportive, Adrian "Do you fall
off often?" Chiles excepted.

Old August 18th 08, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin Blackburn[_2_]

Mike P wrote:
Jeff York wrote:
spindrift wrote:

I'd imagine the cyclists' success in Beijing ****es these bods off no
end, and it gives me a lovely warm glow.

I'm on record as strongly "pro car" and probably fall into your
categorisation of "these bods", however, I think that the performance
of Britain's Olympic cyclists is absolutely superb!

I'm a pro car cyclist ;-)

However I think that it will have the same effect as Tim Henman/Andy Murray
doing well at Wimbledon has. A little interest for about two weeks, then it
will (rightly or wrongly) all be forgotten about.

Halfords may shift a few more entry level racers than normal for a month
or so.

Colin
Old August 18th 08, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

They'll close the facilities that gave one of the best a start in the
sport.

http://www.youtube.com/SaveMeadowbank

...d
Old August 18th 08, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sir Jeremy

On 18 Aug, 14:01, spindrift wrote:
[...]

To use your logic then the sucess of Lewis Hamilton's career at
Mclaren will get more people learning to drive? I don't see it myself.
Why would anyone mistake a honed Olympic athlete for a sad ****** like
you?
Old August 18th 08, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_4_]

Nothing.

Should it?