off-road light

Old September 4th 08, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Rudin[_2_]

Default off-road light

Having just bought a new off-road bike I want to get a new front lamp so
that I can do some off-road riding in the winter evenings.

I've done a bit of googling and think I might wait until the Lupine
Tesla is out (which should be within the next few weeks). It's pretty
pricey, but looks like a really good quality bit of kit, nice and light,
with good light output for the power consumption, and very good
batteries and
charger. http://www.lupine.de/2009/en/products/lightsets/tesla/4/

Any (dis-)recommendations?
Old September 4th 08, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat[_2_]

"Paul Rudin" wrote in message

Having just bought a new off-road bike I want to get a new front lamp so
that I can do some off-road riding in the winter evenings.

I've done a bit of googling and think I might wait until the Lupine
Tesla is out (which should be within the next few weeks). It's pretty
pricey, but looks like a really good quality bit of kit, nice and light,
with good light output for the power consumption, and very good
batteries and
charger. http://www.lupine.de/2009/en/products/lightsets/tesla/4/

Any (dis-)recommendations?

Have a look at Ayup lights

http://www.ayuplights.co.uk/
http://www.ayup.com.au/

If I was going for new lights, these are the ones I'd be wanting to get.

Old September 4th 08, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 4 Sep, 08:17, Paul Rudin wrote:
Having just bought a new off-road bike I want to get a new front lamp so
that I can do some off-road riding in the winter evenings.

I've done a bit of googling and think I might wait until the Lupine
Tesla is out (which should be within the next few weeks). It's pretty
pricey, but looks like a really good quality bit of kit, nice and light,
with good light output for the power consumption, and very good
batteries and
charger. http://www.lupine.de/2009/en/products/lightsets/tesla/4/

Any (dis-)recommendations?

I think I would agree with Wafflycat; the statement 'they have got to
be kidding' springs to mind, at that sort of price...Hmmm expanded
wish list

Sniper8052
Old September 4th 08, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Rudin[_2_]

"wafflycat" writes:

"Paul Rudin" wrote in message

... http://www.lupine.de/2009/en/products/lightsets/tesla/4/

Any (dis-)recommendations?

Have a look at Ayup lights

http://www.ayuplights.co.uk/
http://www.ayup.com.au/

If I was going for new lights, these are the ones I'd be wanting to
get.

Thanks for the link - I hadn't seen those.

I'm still tending towards the Tesla though.

It's a bit tricky to make comparisons on the available information.
Old September 4th 08, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin Blackburn[_2_]

Paul Rudin wrote:
"wafflycat" writes:

"Paul Rudin" wrote in message

... http://www.lupine.de/2009/en/products/lightsets/tesla/4/

Any (dis-)recommendations?

Have a look at Ayup lights

http://www.ayuplights.co.uk/
http://www.ayup.com.au/

If I was going for new lights, these are the ones I'd be wanting to
get.

Thanks for the link - I hadn't seen those.

I'm still tending towards the Tesla though.

Go on, go for the Betty X Pro. Think what you could do with 1500 lumens!

Colin
Old September 4th 08, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Rudin[_2_]

Colin Blackburn writes:

Paul Rudin wrote:
"wafflycat" writes:

"Paul Rudin" wrote in message

... http://www.lupine.de/2009/en/products/lightsets/tesla/4/

Any (dis-)recommendations?
Have a look at Ayup lights

http://www.ayuplights.co.uk/
http://www.ayup.com.au/

If I was going for new lights, these are the ones I'd be wanting to
get.

Thanks for the link - I hadn't seen those.

I'm still tending towards the Tesla though.

Go on, go for the Betty X Pro. Think what you could do with 1500 lumens!

Yeah, but more power required, so either more/heavier batteries or less
run time. Also the switch is outside the light housing, so a bit more
faff and cabling (although could be useful in some circumstances I
guess), and it's heavier that the Tesla, which might be an issue if you
want to use it as a head torch or mount it on a helmet.

Old September 4th 08, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Rudin[_2_]

Paul Rudin writes:

Colin Blackburn writes:

Paul Rudin wrote:
"wafflycat" writes:

"Paul Rudin" wrote in message

... http://www.lupine.de/2009/en/products/lightsets/tesla/4/

Any (dis-)recommendations?
Have a look at Ayup lights

http://www.ayuplights.co.uk/
http://www.ayup.com.au/

If I was going for new lights, these are the ones I'd be wanting to
get.

Thanks for the link - I hadn't seen those.

I'm still tending towards the Tesla though.

Go on, go for the Betty X Pro. Think what you could do with 1500 lumens!

Yeah, but more power required, so either more/heavier batteries or less
run time. Also the switch is outside the light housing, so a bit more
faff and cabling (although could be useful in some circumstances I
guess), and it's heavier that the Tesla, which might be an issue if you
want to use it as a head torch or mount it on a helmet.

.... not to mention a lot more expensive.
Old September 4th 08, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

Paul Rudin wrote:
Having just bought a new off-road bike I want to get a new front lamp so
that I can do some off-road riding in the winter evenings.

I've done a bit of googling and think I might wait until the Lupine
Tesla is out (which should be within the next few weeks). It's pretty
pricey, but looks like a really good quality bit of kit, nice and light,
with good light output for the power consumption, and very good
batteries and
charger. http://www.lupine.de/2009/en/products/lightsets/tesla/4/

Any (dis-)recommendations?

Apart from the price, it says
"Beam angle 13degrees"
I would want to see what that is like in practice, before buying the
lit. Possibly reading a review would do.
IMHO a bright lit that produces a tiny spot of light, and just a small
amount of light around that spot is useless.

On the plus side, it does have several beam powers, which means that you
could use it at 1.5W if you cycle on road to and from the off road bit,
saving battery power for when you need it. (I think this is a fairly
common feature).

Martin.
Old September 4th 08, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Rudin[_2_]

Martin writes:

Paul Rudin wrote:
Having just bought a new off-road bike I want to get a new front lamp so
that I can do some off-road riding in the winter evenings.

I've done a bit of googling and think I might wait until the Lupine
Tesla is out (which should be within the next few weeks). It's pretty
pricey, but looks like a really good quality bit of kit, nice and light,
with good light output for the power consumption, and very good
batteries and
charger. http://www.lupine.de/2009/en/products/lightsets/tesla/4/

Any (dis-)recommendations?

Apart from the price, it says
"Beam angle 13degrees"
I would want to see what that is like in practice, before buying the
lit. Possibly reading a review would do.
IMHO a bright lit that produces a tiny spot of light, and just a small
amount of light around that spot is useless.

I know what you mean, but see
http://www.lupine.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?lang=en&f=7&t=1801, the beam
looks OK from the photo.

The Betty is obviously better purely in terms of the beam, but the Tesla
is cheaper, lighter and draws only half the power.

On the plus side, it does have several beam powers, which means that
you could use it at 1.5W if you cycle on road to and from the off road
bit, saving battery power for when you need it. (I think this is a
fairly common feature).

Yeah, I'll probably take a very small, cheap led lamp in addition in any
case, for saving batteries on the road, and for getting home if anything
goes wrong with the main lamp.

Old September 4th 08, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
al Mossah

On 4 Sep, 07:17, Paul Rudin wrote:

Any (dis-)recommendations?

If you'll consider a dynamo, I've found the Basta Pilot Steady (http://
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-B...sion-12585.htm)
literally brilliant. I haven't used it off road, but have used it on
very dark (i.e pitch black) country lanes, and it allows me to ride as
fast as I like. I feel as if I have Harry Potter's patronis (?)
blazing out in front of the bike.

For off-road you'd want a hub dynamo.

The only drawback is that the beam is so narrow that when you're
making turns the beam doesn't illuminate the area into which you're
turning.

Peter.