Tour Of Britain

Old September 8th 08, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar

Default Tour Of Britain

I just watched the Tour of Britain go by! An entertaining spectacle
indeed; I've never seen a Tour pass by before. If I'd followed the
route for long enough then I probably would have encountered Crapman,
together with a golden opportunity to rid the world of his malicious
motorist-hating ass for good, simply by "accidentally" pushing him
into the path of one of the many support vehicles passing. Oh well,
he'll keep.

It got me thinking though. There I was, on the pavement of a road
with a 30mph limit, yet in advance of the race, many vehicles were
passing well in excess of the speed limit. Strangely, I felt
perfectly safe, and amazingly enough (get this), *no accidents* were
caused by those vehicles going above 30mph. Can you believe it? How
is this possible, when even one vehicle (let alone over a hundred)
exceeding the Magic Arbitrary Number is normally labelled unacceptably
dangerous by the trolls? And what of the trolls who were also
standing watching the Tour today? How could they possibly have
thought themselves safe with all the exceeding of the speed limit that
was going on?

Could it be that (shock horror) the trolls don't really believe that
speeding is dangerous at all, and only pretend to think otherwise when
they think it gives them an opportunity to turn the screw yet further
on the beleaguered motorist? Surely if they believed that speeding
was that dangerous, you wouldn't see them for dust when they knew that
so many vehicles were going to be passing within inches of them doing
just that. And surely they would be incredibly surprised each and
every time a Tour happened, complete with speeding vehicles, yet no
accidents occurred as a result of those vehicles speeding. But
they're never surprised in the slightest, because they know perfectly
well how dangerous speeding *really* is, along with the rest of us.
Old September 10th 08, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Budstaff

"Nuxx Bar" wrote in message
[...]

I'm a fool to answer, I know, but are you seriously suggesting that _every
single vehicle_ must crash as soon as it breaks a speed limit to prove
either that speed limits are a good thing or that excess speed increases the
likelihood of an accident? Or that if a vehicle does not crash it must be
being driven safely? And was the road not either closed to oncoming traffic
or 'calmed' by the Police motorcyclists preceding the cavalcade?

You really must try a bit harder....

Old September 10th 08, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 17:14:04 +0100, "budstaff"
budstaffdotusegroupatbtinternetdotcom said in
:

You really must try a bit harder....

Oh no, I think he must try a good deal less hard. In fact, not at
all would be a substantial improvement.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old September 10th 08, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

Just trying to work out which part of 'speed limit', 'open road',
'TRO', and 'rolling road closure' has been misunderstood.

Oh, all of it.

For the duration of the race there is a rolling road clusure which
measn that the road is essentially a private race track. That means
that the rules which usually apply to a load of independent,
unconnected vehicles on a public road do not apply to a stream of
vehicles in an ordered procession on a closed road.

Hope this helps.

...d

Tour of Britain Adrian Boliston UK 10 September 8th 07 03:11 PM
Tour of Britain Lakeuk UK 10 August 23rd 05 01:08 PM
Tour of Britain John Hearns UK 32 April 13th 05 07:54 PM
TV: Tour of Britain NickZX6R Australia 5 October 24th 04 11:29 AM
Tour Of Britain Tony B UK 6 August 21st 04 12:02 PM