Islabikes new range

Old September 13th 08, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default Islabikes new range

Islabikes have updated their range of children's bikes.

The main changes I can see a
the Beinn 26 comes in large and small frame versions;
the triple front chainring on the Beinn 26 has been replaced by a
single chainring;
the Luath 700 comes in small and large frame versions;
the excellent trailer bike has been withdrawn;
a hard tail MTB has been added to the range at £599.

I wonder how many parents will fork out nearly £600 for a child's
bike!

www.islabikes.co.uk/
Old September 15th 08, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Myra in Cambridge

It's a shame that they've done away with the trailer bike. We ended up
buying a childback tandem, due to the need to tow a trailer as well,
but I hadn't ruled out getting the Islabikes trailer bike at some
point in the future (maybe to tow behind the tandem when my son is big
enough to not need the trailer?) But it seems that it isn't an option
any more.

-Myra
Old September 15th 08, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark[_3_]

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 22:21:46 +0100, Tom Crispin
wrote:

Islabikes have updated their range of children's bikes.

The main changes I can see a
the Beinn 26 comes in large and small frame versions;
the triple front chainring on the Beinn 26 has been replaced by a
single chainring;
the Luath 700 comes in small and large frame versions;
the excellent trailer bike has been withdrawn;
a hard tail MTB has been added to the range at £599.

I wonder how many parents will fork out nearly £600 for a child's
bike!

Not me. I can't even afford to spend this on a bike for me!

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Old September 15th 08, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

wrote:

Islabikes have updated their range of children's bikes.

The main changes I can see a
the Beinn 26 comes in large and small frame versions;
the triple front chainring on the Beinn 26 has been replaced by a
single chainring;
the Luath 700 comes in small and large frame versions;
the excellent trailer bike has been withdrawn;
a hard tail MTB has been added to the range at £599.

I wonder how many parents will fork out nearly £600 for a child's
bike!

Not me. I can't even afford to spend this on a bike for me!

Friends often ask me how I can afford to spend nearly £2,000 on a
bicycle. I then ask them how much they spent of their primary form of
travel. Their answer is almost always greater than £2,000.
Old September 15th 08, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Rudin[_2_]

wrote:

I wonder how many parents will fork out nearly £600 for a child's
bike!

Not me. I can't even afford to spend this on a bike for me!

I wonder how so many parents can afford to run cars to ferry their kids
all over the place, which is vastly more expensive, but seems to be
rather common.

Old September 16th 08, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Myra in Cambridge

On Sep 15, 5:30 pm, Tom Crispin
wrote:
Friends often ask me how I can afford to spend nearly £2,000 on a
bicycle. I then ask them how much they spent of their primary form of
travel. Their answer is almost always greater than £2,000.

Our new childback tandem, which I use for riding to work (dropping off
daughter at school and son at child care along the way) cost about
£1000. Since I have a well-established reputation as being a bit of a
bicycle nutter, no one has questioned it. But if they did, I would
ask: how many cars do you have? Most families with two working parents
two cars. Since my hubby and I ride to work the vast majority of the
time, we get by easily with just one car, which we very seldom fill
with fuel. This is a tremendous savings.

-Myra
Old September 16th 08, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark[_3_]

wrote:

Islabikes have updated their range of children's bikes.

The main changes I can see a
the Beinn 26 comes in large and small frame versions;
the triple front chainring on the Beinn 26 has been replaced by a
single chainring;
the Luath 700 comes in small and large frame versions;
the excellent trailer bike has been withdrawn;
a hard tail MTB has been added to the range at £599.

I wonder how many parents will fork out nearly £600 for a child's
bike!

Not me. I can't even afford to spend this on a bike for me!

Friends often ask me how I can afford to spend nearly £2,000 on a
bicycle. I then ask them how much they spent of their primary form of
travel. Their answer is almost always greater than £2,000.

Not me. I ride to work on a cheap bike.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Old September 16th 08, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark[_3_]

wrote:

I wonder how many parents will fork out nearly £600 for a child's
bike!

Not me. I can't even afford to spend this on a bike for me!

I wonder how so many parents can afford to run cars to ferry their kids
all over the place, which is vastly more expensive, but seems to be
rather common.

By my calculation you'd have to drive the kids around 3000 miles less
to pay for a £600 bike. I'm sure the bike would be nicked/broken/lost
a long time before that.

BTW: Our kids walk to most of their activities.
--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Old September 16th 08, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Myra in Cambridge

On Sep 16, 11:19 am, Mark wrote:
By my calculation you'd have to drive the kids around 3000 miles less
to pay for a £600 bike. I'm sure the bike would be nicked/broken/lost
a long time before that.

BTW: Our kids walk to most of their activities.

As I wrote, the real savings comes from having fewer cars. OK, the
ultimate is to have no cars, but it's just so convenient for weekend
trips and visiting the grandparents that I am glad we have our car.

-Myra
Old September 16th 08, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Rudin[_2_]

wrote:

I wonder how many parents will fork out nearly £600 for a child's
bike!

Not me. I can't even afford to spend this on a bike for me!

I wonder how so many parents can afford to run cars to ferry their kids
all over the place, which is vastly more expensive, but seems to be
rather common.

By my calculation you'd have to drive the kids around 3000 miles less
to pay for a £600 bike. I'm sure the bike would be nicked/broken/lost
a long time before that.

BTW: Our kids walk to most of their activities.

Which is fine if most of their activities are close enough to home.

I estimate that my daughter travels 50 or so miles a week to school, her
various activities and visits to friends. The vast majority of these
miles are done by bike. So by your estimate that's a year or
thereabouts to pay for a 600 quid bike. She's had her current one for
several years (and it was used by my son before her).

Note well that many parents travel twice the effective distance when
taking kids to school or other places: One round trip to drop off and
one to pick up. On that basis it would be 100 miles a week in the car.

Islabikes Tyres Sam Salt UK 10 August 20th 08 09:30 AM
Islabikes Tom Crispin UK 8 December 1st 06 07:10 PM
Need a light ($50-$150) range chris christanis General 9 September 9th 04 04:12 AM
Lights in the $200-300 range Brett Jaffee Mountain Biking 1 August 25th 04 09:52 PM
Top of the range 'budget' bike or bottom of the range 'quality' bike? Roja Doja UK 73 April 23rd 04 12:13 AM