Cycle Parking at Halls of Residence

Old September 28th 08, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Gerald H[_3_]

Default Cycle Parking at Halls of Residence

We're trying to build a case for a good level of cycle parking at a halls
of residence. Does anyone have any experience of the proportion of
students in halls in the UK that own cycles, or perhaps more importantly
would like to own cycles?
Old September 28th 08, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Gerald H wrote:
We're trying to build a case for a good level of cycle parking at a halls
of residence. Does anyone have any experience of the proportion of
students in halls in the UK that own cycles, or perhaps more importantly
would like to own cycles?

I must admit when I was at Notts Uni this year for a Summer school I was
amazed that there was no provision for cycle parking at the HoR, and
very little at the other maths/civil engineering building. This at a
large park style campus.
Old September 28th 08, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Marc wrote:

Gerald H wrote:

We're trying to build a case for a good level of cycle parking at a
halls of residence. Does anyone have any experience of the proportion
of students in halls in the UK that own cycles, or perhaps more
importantly would like to own cycles?

I must admit when I was at Notts Uni this year for a Summer school I was
amazed that there was no provision for cycle parking at the HoR, and
very little at the other maths/civil engineering building. This at a
large park style campus.

Off-hand, any idea how much car-parking is available to fresher year students
(who typically make up the population of Halls of Residence)?
Old September 28th 08, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

JNugent wrote:
Marc wrote:

Gerald H wrote:

We're trying to build a case for a good level of cycle parking at a
halls of residence. Does anyone have any experience of the
proportion of students in halls in the UK that own cycles, or perhaps
more importantly would like to own cycles?

I must admit when I was at Notts Uni this year for a Summer school I
was amazed that there was no provision for cycle parking at the HoR,
and very little at the other maths/civil engineering building. This at
a large park style campus.

Off-hand, any idea how much car-parking is available to fresher year
students (who typically make up the population of Halls of Residence)?

Looking at the HoR I was in I would say about 20-30%
Old September 28th 08, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat[_2_]

"Gerald H" wrote in message
om...
We're trying to build a case for a good level of cycle parking at a halls
of residence. Does anyone have any experience of the proportion of
students in halls in the UK that own cycles, or perhaps more importantly
would like to own cycles?

For my local uni, see

http://www.uea.ac.uk/~r070/

the web site for the Bicycle User Group
The BUG email contact is given at http://www.uea.ac.uk/~r070/contact.html
why not drop them a line to see what the state of play is there. There are a
lot of cycles used - outside the halls of residence are a mixture of secure
and weather-resistant cycle sheds and open cycle sheds. There's bikes all
over campus - students and staff alike using bikes.

Old September 28th 08, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Marc wrote:
JNugent wrote:
Marc wrote:

Gerald H wrote:

We're trying to build a case for a good level of cycle parking at a
halls of residence. Does anyone have any experience of the
proportion of students in halls in the UK that own cycles, or
perhaps more importantly would like to own cycles?

I must admit when I was at Notts Uni this year for a Summer school I
was amazed that there was no provision for cycle parking at the HoR,
and very little at the other maths/civil engineering building. This
at a large park style campus.

Off-hand, any idea how much car-parking is available to fresher year
students (who typically make up the population of Halls of Residence)?

Looking at the HoR I was in I would say about 20-30%

Why not just park the bike in the car-park, then?
Old September 29th 08, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Weaver

On 28 Sep, 21:19, JNugent wrote:
Marc wrote:
Gerald H wrote:
We're trying to build a case for a good level of cycle parking at a
halls of residence. *Does anyone have any experience of the proportion
of students in halls in the UK that own cycles, or perhaps more
importantly would like to own cycles?

I must admit when I was at Notts Uni this year for a Summer school I was
amazed that there was *no provision for cycle parking at the HoR, and
very little at the other maths/civil engineering building. This at a
large park style campus.

Off-hand, any idea how much car-parking is available to fresher year students
(who typically make up the population of Halls of Residence)?

In 2000 when I was a fresher (long time ago!), we could park a car at
the hall of residence, but weren't allowed to drive the mile to campus
in it -- even paying the £1 a day pay and display. I don't think they
ever checked the reg numbers though.

There were a few places to part a bike in campus, most of my friends
abused various union offices though I commuted on a push-scooter --
walk uphill, scoot down hill, avoid getting sweaty.
Old September 29th 08, 12:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Fox[_5_]

Gerald H wrote:
We're trying to build a case for a good level of cycle parking at a halls
of residence. Does anyone have any experience of the proportion of
students in halls in the UK that own cycles, or perhaps more importantly
would like to own cycles?

It is the latent demand that is important not the existing level. A huge amount
of transport infrastructure provision is predicated on what the demand _will be_
not what is observed at the moment. The question you should be asking is "how
many students would cycle if they had sheltered and secure facilities at 'both
ends'". Now fudge that answer with some 1 multiplier as many who have never
tried will shy away, but when they see everyone else doing it will take it as
the norm.

BTW It might be worth checking to see that the uni has a 'green travel plan'.
It almost certainaly does...but it may only be writing on paper. What provision
is made for staff?

--
Peter (Prof) Fox
Multitude of things for beer, cycling, Morris and curiosities at

Old September 29th 08, 06:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 20:27:26 +0100, Gerald H
wrote:

We're trying to build a case for a good level of cycle parking at a halls
of residence. Does anyone have any experience of the proportion of
students in halls in the UK that own cycles, or perhaps more importantly
would like to own cycles?

The student cycle parking at the University of East London is
fantastic.

http://www.newlondonarchitecture.org/project.php?id=281

Those yellow walkways between each accommodation block also contain
covered cycle parking with sheffield stands.
Old September 29th 08, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Braggins

In article , Gerald H wrote:
We're trying to build a case for a good level of cycle parking at a halls
of residence. Does anyone have any experience of the proportion of
students in halls in the UK that own cycles, or perhaps more importantly
would like to own cycles?

Around 60%, maybe more. But unless you too can ban students from keeping
cars because of your medieval street plan, that's a special case.