All racing 24" MUni in Memphis Apr 4

Old March 8th 04, 10:49 PM
Memphis Mud

Default All racing 24" MUni in Memphis Apr 4

I sometimes race sailboats here in Memphis. We use a handicap system
because not everyone owns the same type boat. Different boats mean
everyone spreads out based on the speed of their craft. So you don't
know how well you've sailed until later. I've also raced whats called
"one design". All boats are identical. This way, the only difference is
the skill or ability of the skipper. Its waaaay more fun.

Tommy and I have 29" unicycles that perform well on this crosscountry
racecourse. I can circumnavigate the course in about 80% of the time it
takes on 24" MUni. But since most everybody else has 24" MUnis, I
suggest that we all use that machine. Then its skipper vs skipper.
Yaaar.

Is that OK with everybody whose coming?

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

"do not think, just ride"...muniracer
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

Old March 8th 04, 11:09 PM
chirokid

I plan on bringing my 29er and my 24Muni. I will ride the 24 in the
race. Sounds like a great idea to me.

But really, I have no problem with whatever individual uniriders choose
to ride.

Maybe all us unicycle riders can choose to jog the 3 miles together, in
about 40 minutes, then start the real race (uni and mile run) together.

I;m just excited to get to be there. It will be the 24" for me though.
--chirokid--

--
chirokid - Bug Killing Unicyclist

If it is called "Tourist Season", why can't we shoot 'em?
chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Old March 8th 04, 11:20 PM
U-Turn

Sounds like a pretty good idea! To be picky, for a one-design race
you'd have to have at least the same length cranks and same tire.

My poor sailboat hasn't seen the water since the unis came along...

--
U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

Old March 8th 04, 11:26 PM
bugman

I am all for the 24" Uni since that would be what I have to ride
currently. I don't think the 20" would be very productive.

I would like for all the rest of you to continue the experiment you
started by adding lead weights to your uni's during the race.

I would also suggest a training regimen that includes 12 krispy kream
donuts and 2 packs of cigarettes a day.

Muni Weekend Training Regimen
1. Lead weights for wheels
2. Krispy Kream Donuts
3. Gallon of Chubby Hubby (Ben and Jerry's)
3. Carton of unfiltered cigarettes

--
bugman - Professional Assasin

forget_your_life wrote:
*dude i like your video's and think that your most likely a cool guy
in person but why do you have to be such a jack-ass online? *

Old March 9th 04, 01:47 AM
Tmornstar

As Memphis Mud and I discussed, I'm up for anything - 29 or 24.
Head-to-head competition is a lot of fun and I'll be happy to ride my 24
but I'm stuck with 170 cranks. I'm can't buy new Profiles just for this
race.

Please make plans to attend a uni-get-together on Saturday night, April
3rd. We were thinking of doing an easy lap of the course on Saturday
afternoon and then gathering for a video fest at one of the MUCsters'
houses. If there are folks arriving on Friday noght or early Saturday
morning I'll be happy to host a morning ride on Sat. a.m., too.

I'm really looking forward for everybody that can engineer it to come to
Memphis and ride and celebrate with us.

Tommy

--
Tmornstar - Student of Christopher

Tommy Thompson
Memphis Unicycle Club
Please vist our web site:
http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

Old March 9th 04, 02:06 AM
bugman

Tmornstar wrote:
*As Memphis Mud and I discussed, I'm up for anything - 29 or 24.
Head-to-head competition is a lot of fun and I'll be happy to ride my
24 but I'm stuck with 170 cranks. I'm can't buy new Profiles just for
this race.

Please make plans to attend a uni-get-together on Saturday night,
April 3rd. We were thinking of doing an easy lap of the course on
Saturday afternoon and then gathering for a video fest at one of the
MUCsters' houses. If there are folks arriving on Friday noght or
early Saturday morning I'll be happy to host a morning ride on Sat.
a.m., too.

I'm really looking forward for everybody that can engineer it to come
to Memphis and ride and celebrate with us.

Tommy *

I will be sure to bring sone of the rare DVD's I have in my collection.
Also Chirokid and I both plan on coming in on Friday. I plan on leaving
Atlanta early and should be there midday Friday. Keith(Chirokid) should
be there later in the evening. So a Saturday ride would be great, we
were expecting a little tour of Memphis by Uni.

As for cranks, I have a KH24 with 170's. Is the trail flat? I am
guessing by your post that something shorter would be fine.

Old March 9th 04, 11:18 AM
Tmornstar

Hey Bugman,

That's great that you are making the trek on Friday. We'll have a great
time. We have many unicycling options on Friday night and Saturday
morning. I was hoping that we could gather at some point at my house
where we could play on my trials gear - should we all decide. Memphis
Mud and I are excited to host this uni-gathering and provide whichever
uni-ops that folks want.

Yes, the course is mostly flat - this is the Delta.

Please e-mail me at:

Tommy

Old March 9th 04, 11:57 AM
phil

kinda OT, but hey

Memphis Mud wrote:
*This way, the only difference is the skill or ability of the skipper.
Its waaaay more fun.*

I haven't sailed in a while, but I used to really like handicap races...
I sailed a slower boat than most of the rest of the field, and it was a
great challenge to see how long you could stay in front of faster boats
using tactics rather than straight line speed. I think that greatly
improved my racing skills, working out how to use the rules to get in
the way as much as possible ...

Phil

--
phil - ex-studenty type

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

Old March 9th 04, 12:36 PM
Tmornstar

Yesterday I picked-up some Wolfman Duathlon registration forms. If you
would like to get the early-entry price ($25) I can send you the
registration form. I don't believe they are available on-line.
Early-entry deadline is March 29th. The price goes up to $30 after the
29th. This event is a fund raiser for the Alzheimer's Association of
Memphis.

I'll be happy yo send you the form. Just e-mail at:

Tommy

Old March 9th 04, 01:59 PM
Memphis Mud

phil wrote:
*kinda OT, but hey

I haven't sailed in a while, but I used to really like handicap
races... I sailed a slower boat than most of the rest of the field,
and it was a great challenge to see how long you could stay in front
of faster boats using tactics rather than straight line speed. I think
that greatly improved my racing skills, working out how to use the
rules to get in the way as much as possible ...

Phil *

Not too far OT. I know what you mean. But I race a Laser (one of the
faster boats) and usually after about one or two marks, we leave the
slower boats behind along with most of what I call the real fun. Then
its the lone sailor and the wind. Its fine and all. But I really enjoy
elbow to elbow tactical sailboat competition. I cut you off or give you
bad air. You beat me to the mark. "Starbooooard!!",
"Looooooooowaaaard!!", "Room at the maaark!!"
Thats the game.