Great day to bike to work. A rant.

Old April 5th 05, 01:59 PM
Maggie

Default Great day to bike to work. A rant.

WARNING the following is A RANT! You have been warned.

Here in Jersey, it is the perfect day to ride my bike to work. After I
did my hair, got dressed, and put on all my bling, I got into the car.
WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME?

My son took his motorcycle to work this morning since he could not
resist the beautiful weather, but I took my car. I thought I would
dress in jeans and sneakers and change at work, but that seemed like
alot of work.

We scored a job on Park Ave in Manhattan, so I had to be dressed today
for a meeting. I kept thinking I would be a mess by the time I got to
work, because the whole ride is up hill.

With my schedule, the only thing that will keep me riding, will be
riding to and from work.

I don't understand how people who work in an office, or have to go to
meetings and dress appropriately, manage to bike to work.
I have my first charity ride in a little over a month. I have no idea
if I am ready and I am not getting alot of riding time in.

I keep trying to think of a way to change my life so that riding a bike
is something I have alot of time to do. The following might be a
plan....

I could quit my job, shut down my evening business which I built on my
own, ignore my husband, my 85 year old parents, my extended family,
tell my daughter to plan her own wedding, and tell my sons that the
only way they can see me is to ride with me.

Or I could come to the conclusion, that I really can't get into riding
until I am independently wealthy or I retire.

How does everyone find so much time to ride??? I know you will
say..MAKE TIME....but that is easier said than done. I know all things
are possible, but riding every day seems very improbable to me. Unless
I become a bike courier.

All good things,
Maggie

Old April 5th 05, 02:47 PM
Claire Petersky

"Maggie" wrote in message
ps.com...

How does everyone find so much time to ride???

If all I did was ride to the transit station and back every day (about 5-6
miles), as a beginning commuter, it would take 30 minutes to get there. That
gives one hour of exercise.

OK, if I drive to the transit station, that takes me 10 minutes each
direction, so I've saved 40 minutes. But then I'd probably belong to the Y
to get some exercise, instead. It would take me 5 minutes to get there and
back. To get the same hour's workout then would cost me an additional 30
minutes out of my day.

Who has time *not* to ride to work?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

See the books I've set free at:

Old April 5th 05, 02:47 PM
kantspel

Maggie wrote:
My son took his motorcycle to work this morning since he could not
resist the beautiful weather, but I took my car. I thought I would
dress in jeans and sneakers and change at work, but that seemed like
alot of work.

We scored a job on Park Ave in Manhattan, so I had to be dressed today
for a meeting. I kept thinking I would be a mess by the time I got to
work, because the whole ride is up hill.

With my schedule, the only thing that will keep me riding, will be
riding to and from work.

I don't understand how people who work in an office, or have to go to
meetings and dress appropriately, manage to bike to work.
I have my first charity ride in a little over a month. I have no idea
if I am ready and I am not getting alot of riding time in.

All good things,
Maggie

In my experience, people tend to be a lot more sensitive to their own
looks and smell than others. If you're hair's not perfect or you can
detect a little BO at an unusually close range, chances are no one will
notice. Besides, most people aren't bold enough to say anything so your
chances of actually being embarrased are slim. The joy of riding a bike
is well worth any social faux-pas it may cause.
Old April 5th 05, 02:52 PM
Maggie

kantspel wrote:

In my experience, people tend to be a lot more sensitive to their own

looks and smell than others. If you're hair's not perfect or you can

detect a little BO at an unusually close range, chances are no one

will
notice.

eewwwwwwwwww, I don't want people detecting BO on me. YUK.
Maggie

A sweaty man sometimes smells good, a sweaty woman is gross. DOUBLE
STANDARDS PREVAIL to this day love.

Old April 5th 05, 03:14 PM
Maggie

Claire Petersky wrote:
"Maggie" wrote in message
ps.com...

How does everyone find so much time to ride???

If all I did was ride to the transit station and back every day

(about 5-6
miles), as a beginning commuter, it would take 30 minutes to get

there. That
gives one hour of exercise.

OK, if I drive to the transit station, that takes me 10 minutes each
direction, so I've saved 40 minutes. But then I'd probably belong to

the Y
to get some exercise, instead. It would take me 5 minutes to get

there and
back. To get the same hour's workout then would cost me an additional

30
minutes out of my day.

Who has time *not* to ride to work?

I just looked at your personal website and saw your commute. Words
fail me. I can't even imagine doing that every morning. I have about a
20 minute ride into work on a bike, through suburbia, and I make
excuses. Unbelievable.
All Good things,
Maggie
PS...great websites.

Old April 5th 05, 03:41 PM
wafflycat

Will this assist???

On a Monday morning, take suitable office attire with you for the week. On
arrival at work - place on hangers in suitable place. Wash & change into
office attire at work. Then on a Friday evening, cycle home with the week's
attire with you for laundry. That way you only have to take clothes with you
on two journeys out of ten (assuming a five-day week). I know of several
people who do the above - using carefully rolled clothes transported in
panniers, especially once winter is out of the way. A couple of
skirts/blouses don't take up a lot of room and a basic make-up/grooming kit
takes up little space. Choose hairstyle wisely ;-)

My son cycle commutes to college daily - he cycles in cycling kit and
changes into jeans/t-shirt once at college after washing/showering as needed
(he has use of shower facilites). One of his fellow cycling club members
does a 50+ mile a day cycle commute throughout the summer to his place of
work, following the clothing principles above. Knowing the guy in question,
I don't think he's into the worrying about make-up bit though ;-)

Cheers, helen s

Old April 5th 05, 03:49 PM
MJR

I actually have "work only" clothes. Why do I need white shirts at
home? I keep three suits, five white shirts, a pair of wing-tips, and
a couple of ties at work. I put a fresh pair of underwear in my
seat-bag every morning. I keep a few pairs of dress socks in my desk,
just in case, but usually I just wear my suit and bike socks all day.

My commute is 12 miles, each way. I shower when I get up. By the time
I get to work, yep, I'm drenched. I towel off in my office and air-dry
in the air-conditioning for a bit while I check my email.

And, when the clothes need washing -- I have a laundry and drycleaning
service that does pickup and drop-off.

The only real investment I had to make was hooks for the back of my
door to hold all the clothes.

Old April 5th 05, 04:09 PM
Maggie

MJR wrote:
My commute is 12 miles, each way. I shower when I get up. By the

time
I get to work, yep, I'm drenched. I towel off in my office and

air-dry
in the air-conditioning for a bit while I check my email.

Do you check your e-mail naked?
Maggie. ;-)

Old April 5th 05, 04:14 PM
kantspel

Maggie wrote:
kantspel wrote:

In my experience, people tend to be a lot more sensitive to their own

looks and smell than others. If you're hair's not perfect or you can

detect a little BO at an unusually close range, chances are no one

will

notice.

eewwwwwwwwww, I don't want people detecting BO on me. YUK.
Maggie

A sweaty man sometimes smells good, a sweaty woman is gross. DOUBLE
STANDARDS PREVAIL to this day love.

my point is, you probably *think* you smell a lot worse than you do.
When I think I reek, and ask for outside opinion, my wife is normally
the only one who gets close enough to detect. If you're that worried
about it then keep some baby wipes at the office and take a quick dry
shower with them.
Old April 5th 05, 04:56 PM
Maggie

kantspel wrote:
Maggie wrote:
kantspel wrote:

In my experience, people tend to be a lot more sensitive to their

own

looks and smell than others. If you're hair's not perfect or you

can

detect a little BO at an unusually close range, chances are no one

will

notice.

eewwwwwwwwww, I don't want people detecting BO on me. YUK.
Maggie

A sweaty man sometimes smells good, a sweaty woman is gross. DOUBLE
STANDARDS PREVAIL to this day love.

my point is, you probably *think* you smell a lot worse than you do.
When I think I reek, and ask for outside opinion, my wife is normally

the only one who gets close enough to detect. If you're that worried

about it then keep some baby wipes at the office and take a quick dry

shower with them.

I am trying to picture in my mind.....how a person showers with baby
wipes. I see myself standing in the closet with a container of baby
wipes trying to get clean. It's not a pretty picture. ;-) Maybe I
will picture Al Pacino doing it.
Maggie
This is an amazing day to ride and I am goofing off in the office. I
actually do get alot of work done in between my ridiculous posts. ;-)
Believe it or not. I am the master of multi tasking.

More on fat people going downhill Clive George UK 203 October 10th 04 10:15 PM
Still Looking for a bike [email protected] UK 19 September 5th 04 10:25 AM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 10:28 AM
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 10:49 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM