Broke my seatpost while climbing

Old April 29th 05, 11:36 PM
ProudYankee

Default Broke my seatpost while climbing

I was climbing up a hill on my Muni and pulling very hard on my Reeder
handle, when the seatpost bracket snapped in the front. Isn't it
unusual to break a seatpost while climbing? I thought they usually
broke as a result of landing drops with poor form.

The day it broke, I had changed my climbing technique by keeping my
elbow bent instead of straight, and pulling harder than usual.

Here's the pic:

| Attachment filename: dscn0444.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/306001|

ProudYankee
ProudYankee's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8456

Old April 29th 05, 11:44 PM
One on one

ProudYankee wrote:
*I was climbing up a hill on my Muni and pulling very hard on my
Reeder handle, when the seatpost bracket snapped in the front. Isn't
it unusual to break a seatpost while climbing? I thought they usually
broke as a result of landing drops with poor form.

The day it broke, I had changed my climbing technique by keeping my
elbow bent instead of straight, and pulling harder than usual.

Here's the pic: *

I would guess that you had probably stressed it before doing other hard
landings and it was getting ready to break. The same thing could have
happened if the uni smacked down really hard on the front of the seat.
You would have then wondered how it could have broken from the seat
hitting the ground.

--
One on one - Geezer Unicyclists Of America

"However, like the jet pilot, if the Coker rider tries to turn too fast,
he/she could black out."
-Memphis Mud

One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740

Old April 30th 05, 09:17 AM
johnfoss

In most cases, as mentioned above, it's metal fatigue. As we get longer
and stronger seat handles, more and more stress gets put on standard
seat posts. Up, down, up, down, snap! It's a combination of all the
pressures that have been applied to it over time. Plus those posts can
be pretty weak when compared to today's modern stiff seats and
high-leverage handles.

--
johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old April 30th 05, 11:01 AM
mango

I think the majority of times ive broken a seat post, the final blow has
been a pulling up movement (seat in hop). But, as was said, Im sure it
wasnt just that one hop that made it break. I broke a miyata seat post
where you broke your seat post, Mr. Yankee.

It sucks.

--
mango - unity - as 1 stand together

*I never post drunk but I always post stupid. *-harper
mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

Seatpost out past the max line? Seager Unicycling 5 March 8th 05 12:42 AM
seatpost blues Kevin General 0 October 11th 04 04:48 AM
seatpost blues Kevin Off Road 0 October 11th 04 04:48 AM
FS: Group of 3 Seatpost Track / Road Pursuit1316 Marketplace 0 August 24th 04 07:45 PM
what is a climbing wheel????and physics questions anerobic Techniques 82 October 6th 03 02:15 PM