Wenting!!!

Old May 26th 05, 07:10 AM
Graeme

Default Wenting!!!

"Theo Bekkers" wrote in news:429561a0$1
@news.bekkers.com.au:

My grand-daughter, who turned nine this week, won the State title for
Scottish dancing in Victoria for her age group last Saturday. She has
absolutely no Scottish heritage.

Don't worry, it's all part of our plan for world domination. We supply an
ever increasing numbers of CEOs at the top level, engineers in the middle
and we also get them used to the Scottish way of life at an ever younger
age.

By 2030 the whole world will be raised on haggis, porridge and Irn Bru.
Now, repeat after me, "It's a braw, bricht moonlicht nicht the nicht"

Graeme
Old May 26th 05, 07:24 AM
Graeme

"Resound" wrote in news:42955f75$1
@dnews.tpgi.com.au:

I'm sure I've done a "Cumberland
reel" but I can't remember what it involves.

It's a set dance with 4 couples per set. At various times throughout the
dance two couples go to the centre of the set. The women then put their
arms on the men's shoulders and the men put their arms around the women's
backs. Now I think the "proper" way is for the men to gently lift the women
and then spin slowly round, but if you put a little more effort into it you
can quite easily spin fast enough that the women are spinning round
horizontally at head height. You need to make damned sure that you don't
get in the way of a low flying pair of legs!

Graeme
Old May 26th 05, 07:25 AM
Theo Bekkers

Graeme wrote:

We supply an ever increasing numbers of engineers

"Give me WARP 9 Scottie."

Theo

Old May 26th 05, 07:29 AM
Graeme

"Theo Bekkers" wrote in news:42956c29$1
@news.bekkers.com.au:

"Give me WARP 9 Scottie."

Yes, that's the idea, but we'd be aiming for a slightly more realistic
accent
Old May 26th 05, 07:36 AM
flyingdutch

Absent Husband Wrote:
I think the above 'front brake' theory is actually why you used to see
a lot of cheaper cars fitted with front disc brakes (good), an
cheaper
rear drum brakes (not as good...).

So I believe the car manufacturers also subscribed to this theory....

Absent Husband (who couldn't possibly back up a technical argument on
this...)

nothing to do with cheap cars. most US cars (which are bug-ugly-heavy
have used the rear drum brake/discs front for decades. We havnt had th
same here cos we're cheapskates and have wierd standards bullied b
Pacific

--
flyingdutch

Old May 26th 05, 07:37 AM
Theo Bekkers

Graeme wrote:
"Theo Bekkers" wrote

"Give me WARP 9 Scottie."

Yes, that's the idea, but we'd be aiming for a slightly more realistic
accent

I don't think Captain Kirk was Scottish. :-)

Theo

Old May 26th 05, 07:48 AM
SteveA

Graeme Wrote:
"Resound" wrote i

Whereabouts are you? I know that there's the odd rampant ceilidh i
Melbourne. My girlfriend is a rampant dancer and I got dragged alon
to one pub where we were dancing four sets in about 5m square. I
was...energetic

Perth, so it's a wee bit far to Melbourne. There is bound to b
somewher
in Perth that has ceilidhs occasionally, it's just finding the righ
type
I'm used to the kind where most people end the evening with at leas
som
minor bruising, "Strip The Willow" involves a 50m dash down the hal
and
Cumberland Reel often results in women's shoes flying off across th
room
A proper ceilidh is serious exercise!

I'll ask my Scots mate across the road. He's a piper and plays at al
sorts of gatherings involving Scotsmen and alcohol. He drinks bourbon
I drink rum. He plays pipes, I used to be in a military band. Thing
have a tendency to get loud and untidy when we get together. I thin
the ban on me going to visit him has just about expired so I can go an
see what he has to say.

Steve(Juist a smaw beb afore ye gae.)

--
SteveA

Old May 26th 05, 08:17 AM
Graeme

"Theo Bekkers" wrote in news:42956ef6$1
@news.bekkers.com.au:

I don't think Captain Kirk was Scottish. :-)

Oops... He was about as Scottish as Scottie though, possibly more so
Old May 26th 05, 11:18 AM
aeek

Graeme Wrote:
"Theo Bekkers" wrote in news:42956ef6$1
@news.bekkers.com.au:

I don't think Captain Kirk was Scottish. :-)

Oops... He was about as Scottish as Scottie though, possibly more so

Scotties traditionaly have shortish black hair, that would make McCo
the Scottie

--
aeek

Old May 26th 05, 12:49 PM
TimC

On Wed, 25 May 2005 at 07:17 GMT, BrettM (aka Bruce)
This is free flow conditions and the problem with conflicting lower
speed vehicles increase with congestion. Simply put every time someone
applies the brakes to avoid a bike/bus/cane farmer that ripples through
the traffic queue. That erodes lane capacity because the headway gap
varies throughout the queue. Once it starts happening in congested
conditions then it will oscillate through the queue until you get the

Say, last time I was in a car, we were heading down the monash
freeway, and being a car full of astrophysicist, we started discussing
the physics of traffic. I already know that traffic engineers talk of
laminar flow and turbulence; I'm guessing there is a thermodynamics of
traffic, and Maxwell Boltzmann distributions, ideal gasses, etc? I
was thinking things like scattering between atomic particles in an
ideal gases would have analogues such as lane changes when one lane
gets too congested, and the way that people brake and accelarate
suddenly when all of a sudden, the tiniest of gaps occur.

What is the name of the term in the equation that I affectionately
name the "stupidity term"? What symbol do they use? What happens
when you remove the stupidity term from the flow equation? Does the
turbulence disappear?

It would be fun if I was allowed to ride along Monash freeway during
peak hour. Laugh at all the lusers in their luser-mobiles going to
their luser-jobs.

The above rant wasn't brought to you by too much alcohol.

"pretty much, my thesis can be reduced to the letter tau" -- TimC