Wenting!!!

Old May 26th 05, 02:49 AM
nebakke

Default Wenting!!!

LotteBum wrote:

Do what I do - don't use those crappy bike paths. They're a waste of
time (and tubes for that matter).

Still not quite certain enough of myself to completely forget about
them I think, I'm still a bit like a child on the bike need someone to
hold my hand ;O). It's been a while, I'm so ridicously out of shape
that it's not even funny, and I don't mean that in the "I used to ride
250 Km a day but now I'm out of shape and struggling to do 200" I mean,
I'm completely starting from scratch again AND I'm on the wrong side of
the road and still need to get around to swapping the break cables cos
I keep nearly going head first over the steer braking with the wrong
handle ;O) It's pretty much misery right now, but I'm working on it,
and the one thing I've found previously is that having grown up on a
bike it doesn't take quite as long to get back into it again... Plus
while Brisbane is certainly hillier than Denmark at least you're not
combatting Gale force winds every day, with hills you generally get to
go down again on the other side ;O)

I ride from Springfield to the city as follows:

Well that was actually my initial plan when I started, although you've
opened my eyes to a different route, but as I said, I need to be in
better shape before I try this, otherwise I'll be getting to work just
in time to pack up and leave again ;OP~~

I usually cross over and head
onto the bike path around here and follow it to the city (Coronation
Drive).

That is the thing about the river ride, I really quite enjoy it, only
pedestrians and other bikes to worry about, nice new asphalt most of
the way and quite scenic the last couple of Kms along there is like
flying...

Despite not being too keen on Springfield (read: buyer's remorse) at
all, I LOVE the ride to work.

Heh, I don't mind Springfield too much it's alright, but then we also
bought 6 years ago so it's been a profitable stay, and keeping that in
mind it's a bit easier to deal with distance and all... I must admit
though, I miss Copenhagen...

Admittedly it does get a little dark on the way home, but I'm lit up
like a christimas tree, so I'm very visible. Again, never a problem...

Hehe, well I'm considering getting a vest and so on once I get to that
point...

If you're keen to tag along one morning (or evening), let me know. My
average is around the 26 - 27 mark on the way in (about 1 hr and 20
minutes) and a bit less on the way home because I'm just lazy.

Would love to thank you, just give me a couple of weeks though, as I
said, i need a bit of a build up before I'm quite ready for that.. I
know, it's sad, but that's the way it is ;O)

-Rasmus

Old May 26th 05, 02:51 AM
nebakke

Cool, Thanks again Tamyka, I will explore these options too... =O)

-Rasmus

Old May 26th 05, 02:55 AM
LotteBum

It's funny you should say that - about some Danish people living lik
they would in Denmark. My parents split up about 4 years ago and m
dad is now married to THE most bogan Aussie woman you could possibl
imagine - no bra, permed hair, smokes like a chimney etc. My mum ha
also met an Aussie man who - besides being a really REALLY nice guy
is SO Australian it's not funny.

I agree with you entirely about integration vs. assimilation etc. I'v
been to the Danish club a few times (although not in the last couple o
years), and only really to buy Remoulade and Haribo lollies.. too muc
folk dancing and too many old farts for my liking. My other hal
(Aussie) is keen to go as he just LOVES Danish food, but I keep tellin
him "You have to be over 50 and you MUST like folk dancing!". You ca
always tell when he hasn't had a Danish feed for a while, because he'l
say "I'd give folk dancing a try, you know!". Ugh!

How are you settling in otherwise? Watch the state of origi
(football, played by neanderthal looking men, with an egg shaped bal
is something I've never quite gotten used to). I listened to my India
neighbours shouting at the TV for the entire game - was really quit
amusing. "Moogalababa Minnicello!!!!"

--
LotteBum

Old May 26th 05, 03:02 AM
nebakke

Tamyka Bell wrote:

I used to do that all the time, stupid pump, stupid rim tape, stupid...
okay, stupid operator. Rather than bother with new rim tape I just cut a
small eyelet out of an old tube and whacked it over the valve stem, so
there's an extra layer of rubber at the base of the valve stem. Haven't
ripped a stem off since (same pump, same rim tape, same operator).

Geez, you're full of good ideas Tamyka, advice on directions AND
repairs, is ther e anything you don't do? ;O)
Thanks for that.. I'm going to grab a new tube from Riders in my lunch
break, will try that out tonight...

-Rasmus, now with an all new smile...

Old May 26th 05, 03:06 AM
LotteBum

Around to swapping the break cables cos I keep nearly going head firs

over the steer braking with the wrong handle ;O)

That's getting a bit technical. I brake with both hands. Always.
get told off for it, but it's so much easier, really

It's pretty much misery right now, but I'm working on it
and the one thing I've found previously is that having grown up on
bike it doesn't take quite as long to get back into it again... Plu
while Brisbane is certainly hillier than Denmark at least you're no
combatting Gale force winds every day, with hills you generally get t
go down again on the other side ;O

My ride to work is verrrry unhilly

Well that was actually my initial plan when I started, although you'v
opened my eyes to a different route, but as I said, I need to be i
better shape before I try this, otherwise I'll be getting to work jus
in time to pack up and leave again ;OP~

Seriously, I'm about 12kg overweight (at my height, that's a fai
chunk) and I'm quite disgustingly unfit myself....

Heh, I don't mind Springfield too much it's alright, but then we als
bought 6 years ago so it's been a profitable stay, and keeping that i
mind it's a bit easier to deal with distance and all... I must admi
though, I miss Copenhagen..

I bet you do. We came from Woodridge of all places, expecting ANYTHIN
to be better, but we have the worst neighbours we could ever hav
imagined. They park on our grass (a pet hate of mine as I'm a bit of
garden freak) and are just plain rude. At least in Woodridge, ou
stoned neighbours were happy to have a chat and help out etc. Also, m
biggest problems on the roads generally occur in Springfield. Ou
neighbours are only renting (typical), so we're hoping they move...

Would love to thank you, just give me a couple of weeks though, as
said, i need a bit of a build up before I'm quite ready for that..
know, it's sad, but that's the way it is ;O

You said it - a couple of weeks. You're on!

--
LotteBum

Old May 26th 05, 03:40 AM
nebakke

LotteBum wrote:
my
dad is now married to THE most bogan Aussie woman you could possibly
imagine - no bra, permed hair, smokes like a chimney etc.

Hmm funny thing that, if you ask my wife that aroundabout describes the
average Danish woman ;O)

I agree with you entirely about integration vs. assimilation etc. I've
been to the Danish club a few times (although not in the last couple of
years), and only really to buy Remoulade and Haribo lollies..

Oooh OOOOH!!! I didn't know they sold Remoulade there, I near got a
bottle confiscated by customs when I returned from a trip in February,
thank God I declared it and was able to sweet talk my way out of it,
next time he said they'll want a full declaration of how much of
anything that's in it sdo might be easier to goto the Danish club then.
And with regards to Haribo lollies, my wife finally got me to reneg on
my oath to never set foot in Aldi, the Danish ones are quite nasty...
To my enormous joy I found that they sell Haribo vingummibamser and the
big packages of assorted ones... Well the one at Forest Lake does
anyway... "Den er go'" So now all I need is some decent mayonnaise and
the local pub to start selling decent beer again and I'll be happy ;O)
Otherwise there's always Adam's of course...

too much
folk dancing and too many old farts for my liking.

I know, I had to fight hard not to giggle too much the first time I
spoke to Ulla Turner (the president of the club) on the phone, noone's
spoken Danish like that since the late 50ies ;O)

My other half
(Aussie) is keen to go as he just LOVES Danish food, but I keep telling
him "You have to be over 50 and you MUST like folk dancing!". You can
always tell when he hasn't had a Danish feed for a while, because he'll
say "I'd give folk dancing a try, you know!". Ugh!

LOL, I think I've got an English Language scandinavian cookbook
somewhere that he can have, that way he doesn't have to expose you to
the folk dancing ;O)
I've found that while it's hard to find the right groceries it's not
impossible and especially now that I'm a dad I figure I should start
trying to excert some influence ;O) Besides, we've found a small danish
class being run in Brisbane and I've found that it's a good way to help
her along a bit to expose her to little everyday things, so
occasionally I whip something up, unfortunately I'm the only one in the
household who eats Spegesild and such ;O)

How are you settling in otherwise? Watch the state of origin
(football, played by neanderthal looking men, with an egg shaped ball
is something I've never quite gotten used to).

Settling in quite well thank you, didn't actually watch the state of
origin, had Tickets for "Henry Rollins, Spoken Word" in the Tivoli
Theatre last night.. Besides to be honest, while I watch the state of
origin if I have nothing else on, and I try to integrate as well as
possible, I still can't really get around to Cricket or NRL... Come
July though, I'll be getting no sleep, glued to SBS from 22-4 ;O) and
the occasional AFL match doesn't bother me either hehe...
Oooh, speaking of Danish, watched the Denmark-Italy World Cup match at
"La Dolce Vita" on Park Road last year, that was GREAT fun, especially
when it looked like we were going to win ;O)

Anyways, yep, I still have a fair few more Danish influences going for
me, but I like to think that I'm taking the best from both worlds,
enjoy a good BBQ and am learning to appreciate Australian nature
although I still can't get used to all the nasties around... 2 Metres
tall and still managing to look like a ballerina everytime I get near a
spider these day ;O)

I listened to my Indian
neighbours shouting at the TV for the entire game - was really quite
amusing. "Moogalababa Minnicello!!!!".

LOL, I have to admit, it does tend to get the blood boiling a bit, even
if my interest is slight ;O)

-Rasmus who just realised that he just wrote a novel here and that he
should be grabbing that new tube cos there went half the lunch break ;O)

Old May 26th 05, 03:47 AM
nebakke

LotteBum wrote:

That's getting a bit technical. I brake with both hands. Always. I
get told off for it, but it's so much easier, really.

See that's probably just a preference difference, I prefer to only use
both hands if I REALLY need to break and generally only if I need to
come to a full stop, generally back break for slowing down, especially
down hill ;O)

Seriously, I'm about 12kg overweight (at my height, that's a fair
chunk) and I'm quite disgustingly unfit myself....

Well that does make me feel a bit better, but I've still got a bit to
go as I said ;O)

I bet you do. We came from Woodridge of all places, expecting ANYTHING
to be better, but we have the worst neighbours we could ever have
imagined. They park on our grass (a pet hate of mine as I'm a bit of a
garden freak) and are just plain rude. At least in Woodridge, our
stoned neighbours were happy to have a chat and help out etc.

Ya, that's kindaf what has happened to our area, my wife and her Ex
originally bought the house so they were house #3 in the street,
there's still some people left from then, so still some neighbourlyness
(or whatever ;O) but we've started getting a fair few rentals in as
well.. The house to one side of us ahs always been a rental and G*d
knows we've had some pretty nasty people in there over the last couple
of years but generally the bad ones seem to last at most 12 months if
that at all.. This time around it seems like we have a winner, quite
people and all.. WONDERFUL!!!
How long have you been at Springfield? You may just need to give it a
bit of time ;O)

Also, my
biggest problems on the roads generally occur in Springfield. Our

Yup, as I was saying (writing) earlier, Springfield is a bit too much
of a Family-4WD-Car neighbourhood, sometimes these people just don't
watch...

You said it - a couple of weeks. You're on!!

Uhoh, what did I do???? ;O) I hope you've got the strength to carry me
to the top of the hill on Centenary Hwy ;O)and please tell me you know
CPR...

-Rasmus, scared ;O)

Old May 26th 05, 04:14 AM
Tamyka Bell

nebakke wrote:

LotteBum wrote:

snip
You said it - a couple of weeks. You're on!!

Uhoh, what did I do???? ;O) I hope you've got the strength to carry me
to the top of the hill on Centenary Hwy ;O)and please tell me you know
CPR...

-Rasmus, scared ;O)

It's okay, LotteBum will wait for you after hills, won't she, Absent
Husband?

Tam
Old May 26th 05, 04:30 AM
LotteBum

Well that does make me feel a bit better, but I've still got a bit t
go as I said ;O

Alright, alright..

How long have you been at Springfield? You may just need to give it
bit of time ;O

We've been there since early February, so not quite 4 months. We'r
actually in Springfield Lakes (my partner, being an environmenta
engineer prefers to call it a sedimentation dam) and we were also onl
the 3rd to move in in the street (there's now 8 occupied dwellings
including ours). The three across from us are just terrible.... reall
quite terrible to look at too.

Yup, as I was saying (writing) earlier, Springfield is a bit too muc
of a Family-4WD-Car neighbourhood, sometimes these people just don'
watch..

Tell me about it... we've got one of those kids in hotted up cars nex
door. Except this guy is in his 20's (in my opinion, old enough t
know better) and said car is a Toyota MR2 which is started at 5am ever
morning (about 20 minutes before we get up), then flogged down th
street.

Anyway, my partner just got an unexpected, but nice pay rise, so thi
gives us the option to move in a few years. And who knows, by the
things may have improved... here's hoping

Uhoh, what did I do???? ;O) I hope you've got the strength to carry m
to the top of the hill on Centenary Hwy ;O)and please tell me you kno
CPR..

WHAT hill on the Centenary Hwy????? It's dead flat bar a couple o
bumps

--
LotteBum

Old May 26th 05, 04:31 AM
nebakke

Baka Dasai wrote:

The fastest way to slow down or stop is to use the front brake only.
Even down hills.

I do believe you, and I know how to use the break right, I still have a
bit of the fear of going over the handlebar in me though... ;O)

-Rasmus