And they accuse Critical Mass of obstructing traffic!

Old November 15th 08, 07:21 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default And they accuse Critical Mass of obstructing traffic!

CM would have a hard job trying to behave as badly as this motorist.
Makes you wonder how many similar incidents every day go unreported
among the millions of motorists compared to a few hundred cyclists
once a month.

"Angry driver obstructs ambulance

A car driver slowed down to hinder an ambulance's progress on a road
in Dorset after paramedics demanded he stop using his mobile
telephone.

The man was caught when the ambulance pulled up alongside his Mini
Cooper at a red light at the junction between Broadstone Way and Cabot
Lane in Poole.

After being told to end his phone conversation, he stepped out of his
car and became abusive.

He then drove off and slowed down to about 10mph in front of the
ambulance.

Pc Claire Foote said: "This was a very serious incident that could
have resulted in a much worse outcome.

"The man's actions were highly irresponsible.

"There were numerous other vehicles near the traffic lights at the
time and we would like to speak with any witnesses as soon as
possible."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7729723.stm

--
Critical Mass London
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
Old November 15th 08, 08:24 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Graculus

"Doug" wrote in message

Well done, Doug. Six new threads this morning:

3 off topic "Town or Country" - not related to transport at all, "Saving Car
Giants" - only a tangential relationship, so basically OT, "Will it happen
here too" - not UK)
3 reguritating the same old crap, and not a single new topic. In fact, they
all relate to stories already extensively covered here.

When will we see something from you that is (a) original and (b) on topic?

Old November 15th 08, 09:11 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Doug wrote:
CM would have a hard job trying to behave as badly as this motorist.

They have IIRC

Makes you wonder how many similar incidents every day go unreported
among the millions of motorists compared to a few hundred cyclists
once a month.

No it doesn't

"Angry driver obstructs ambulance

A car driver slowed down to hinder an ambulance's progress on a road
in Dorset after paramedics demanded he stop using his mobile
telephone.

I wonder why they did that, after all it is not part of their job
description

The man was caught when the ambulance pulled up alongside his Mini
Cooper at a red light at the junction between Broadstone Way and Cabot
Lane in Poole.

After being told to end his phone conversation, he stepped out of his
car and became abusive.

Stupid

He then drove off and slowed down to about 10mph in front of the
ambulance.

Again stupid

Pc Claire Foote said: "This was a very serious incident that could
have resulted in a much worse outcome.

Overstating the incident, nowhere does it state that the ambulance was
on its way to or from an incident

"The man's actions were highly irresponsible.

True

"There were numerous other vehicles near the traffic lights at the
time and we would like to speak with any witnesses as soon as
possible."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7729723.stm

--
Critical Mass London
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
"We aren't blocking traffic, we are traffic".

--
Tony the Dragon
Old November 15th 08, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Ian Bidwell

"Tony Dragon" wrote in message

A car driver slowed down to hinder an ambulance's progress on a road
in Dorset after paramedics demanded he stop using his mobile
telephone.

I wonder why they did that, after all it is not part of their job
description

ITYF saving lives IS part of their job description!

Old November 15th 08, 10:44 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Doug wrote:

[...]

I agree.

I agree with you in particular that any vehicular road-user who deliberately
obstructs traffic by failing to keep up to or very near to the limit (30, in
an urban area, let me remind you) should be arrested, imprisoned and have his
bik... er.... vehicle... crushed.
Old November 15th 08, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Ian Bidwell wrote:
"Tony Dragon" wrote in message

A car driver slowed down to hinder an ambulance's progress on a road
in Dorset after paramedics demanded he stop using his mobile
telephone.

I wonder why they did that, after all it is not part of their job
description

ITYF saving lives IS part of their job description!

True,and the driver who was using the phone is an idiot, but I still
don't think that that is there job.

--
Tony the Dragon
Old November 15th 08, 11:15 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
AndyC

"JNugent" wrote in message
Doug wrote:

CM would have a hard job trying to behave as badly as this motorist.
Makes you wonder how many similar incidents every day go unreported
among the millions of motorists compared to a few hundred cyclists
once a month.

I agree with you in particular that any vehicular road-user who
deliberately obstructs traffic by failing to keep up to or very near to
the limit (30, in an urban area, let me remind you) should be arrested,
imprisoned and have his bik... er.... vehicle... crushed.

Bad behaviour of other drivers cannot be used justify any bad behaviour of
CM. In fact, I find it rather embarrassing that cyclists appear to be some
of the worst road users when given their vulnerability, they ought to be
among the best.

It also often gets overlooked that the speed limit is a legal maximum limit,
not a goal or a speed that is supposed to be reached. It is an upper maximum
limit. Driving carefully and cautiously, within the speed limit is not
against the law. As a general courtesy, it makes sense to allow others to
pass, when it is safe for them to do so, so as not to intentionally delay
other traffic.

Old November 15th 08, 11:27 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Fod

On 15 Nov, 07:21, Doug wrote:
CM would have a hard job trying to behave as badly as this motorist.

If only that were true. CM deliberately blocking paramedics was
recently the subject of a thread.

Neither CM or this driver should obstruct the emergancy services.

Fod
Old November 15th 08, 11:30 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

AndyC wrote:

"JNugent" wrote:
Doug wrote:

[...]

What was that whooshing noise?
Old November 15th 08, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_5_]

Tony Dragon wrote:
Ian Bidwell wrote:
"Tony Dragon" wrote in message

A car driver slowed down to hinder an ambulance's progress on a
road in Dorset after paramedics demanded he stop using his mobile
telephone.
I wonder why they did that, after all it is not part of their job
description

ITYF saving lives IS part of their job description!

True,and the driver who was using the phone is an idiot, but I still
don't think that that is there job.

Isn't pointing out to people that they're likely to get nicked everyone's
job?