Searching for replacement Sakae / SR chainset

Old February 26th 12, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
gumbo

Default Searching for replacement Sakae / SR chainset

Hi,

I have an old "SR" chainset - the chainring is worn out on it, and it's so
old I can't find replacement rings.

I wondered if it'd be possible to find a replacement chainset? I bought a
Shimano Sora chainset, but because the back of it is not in any way
recessed, when it is fitted it is too wide meaning my front mech can't shift
the chain onto the big ring.

The alternative is a new bottom bracket with narrower axel, but that's more
expense.

This has photos showing what I mean:
http://jimpix.co.uk/crank.pdf

Just wondered if anyone knows where I might find a replacement for the old
chainset

I have checked on ebay and on google, but as the chainset is so old, I think
I am out of luck.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks!

Old February 26th 12, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Feb 26, 8:34*am, "gumbo" wrote:
[...]

Hi Gumbo.
Try https://groups.google.com/group/uk.r...d/topics?hl=en

--
Simon Mason
Old February 26th 12, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 08:34:01 -0000
"gumbo" wrote:

Hi,

I have an old "SR" chainset - the chainring is worn out on it, and
it's so old I can't find replacement rings.

I wondered if it'd be possible to find a replacement chainset? I
bought a Shimano Sora chainset, but because the back of it is not in
any way recessed, when it is fitted it is too wide meaning my front
mech can't shift the chain onto the big ring.

The alternative is a new bottom bracket with narrower axel, but
that's more expense.

Under a tenner including delivery on eBay. Is it really worth digging
around for another obsolete chainset when you already have a new one?

Old February 26th 12, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

Default Erbauer 2100w 1/2in Router £79!

Erbauer 2100w 1/2in Router £79!

Powerful router with depth adjustment for easy, precise cutting and
shaping of different materials. Supplied with accessories and carry case.
•¼" & ½" Collets
•Variable Speed
•Soft Start
•30mm Guide Bush
•Parallel Fence
•Dust Extraction Facility
•Constant Speed under Load
•Spindle Lock
•Speed Control Dial
•Soft-Grip Handle
View more information

Product contents:
ERB361ROU, parallel guide, template guide, centre pin, dust collector,
wrench, 2 x collets.

University
Old February 26th 12, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Feb 26, 8:34*am, "gumbo" wrote:
[...]

You can get a new 105 chainset for a few quid on e-bay you know.

--
Simon Mason
Old February 26th 12, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Feb 26, 8:34*am, "gumbo" wrote:
Hi,

I have an old "SR" chainset - the chainring is worn out on it, and it's so
old I can't find replacement rings.

You need to know the PCD, pitch circle diameter, of the chainring
mountings and how many bolts. If it's a 1980's Sakae Super Custom
road chainset as fitted to many good Raleigh road racing machines, it
will have a PCD of 144mm which you might find indexed as an old
Campagnolo road fit. The 144mm PCD still continues as the regular
sizing for track racing bicycles and so is easy to find in 1/8"
chainrings and any supplier of track equipment should also be tried
for 144mm 3/32" rings.

Many other sizes were also produced and you will have to measure or
compare with a ring of known size to find the correct fit. I am
surprised that any bottom bracket normally fitted to a Sakae chainset
would live so long, but the cranks are generally good and reliable and
it's still probably better to spend £15 or so on a chainring and
return or sell the Sora.

I wondered if it'd be possible to find a replacement chainset? I bought a
Shimano Sora chainset, but because the back of it is not in any way
recessed, when it is fitted it is too wide meaning my front mech can't shift
the chain onto the big ring.

The alternative is a new bottom bracket with narrower axel, but that's more
expense.

Are you sure the present axle bearing set is in good condition?

This has photos showing what I mean:http://jimpix.co.uk/crank.pdf

EEK, the Sora looks like a washing machine spider.

Just wondered if anyone knows where I might find a replacement for the old
chainset

An old Raleigh bicycle.

I have checked on ebay and on google, but as the chainset is so old, I think
I am out of luck.

Any advice much appreciated.

Measure the PCD