Another Peak District Route

Old November 24th 03, 10:14 PM
turkeytickler

Default Another Peak District Route

Hi again

Since so many people recommeded the winnats pass, another route I thought
I might try is Buxton Chapel en le Frith Castleton Tideswell
Buxton.

Any advice? Roads to avoid?

tia

Chris

Old November 25th 03, 02:02 PM
Tenex

turkeytickler wrote:
Hi again

Since so many people recommeded the winnats pass, another route I
thought I might try is Buxton Chapel en le Frith Castleton
Tideswell Buxton.

Any advice? Roads to avoid?

tia

Chris

Isn't that DOWN Winnat's Pass? What are you chicken? ;-)

Old November 25th 03, 05:50 PM
turkeytickler

oh bugger i hadnt thought of that!

hmphh...

How about the other way around, going Castleton Chapel Buxton
Tideswell?

WHat is the stretch of the A6 like between Buxton and Chapel?

Sorry to keep asking all thee daft questions but i simply dont know the
area at all

Chris

Old November 25th 03, 07:17 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Tenex wrote:

Isn't that DOWN Winnat's Pass? What are you chicken? ;-)

I once melted my brakes going down Winnatt's Pass. Well, not going down it
as such, but trying to slow down when I remembered the cattle grid at the
bottom...

--
Guy
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old November 25th 03, 08:08 PM
Paul Lydon

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:50:44 -0000, turkeytickler
wrote:

oh bugger i hadnt thought of that!

hmphh...

How about the other way around, going Castleton Chapel Buxton
Tideswell?

WHat is the stretch of the A6 like between Buxton and Chapel?

The A6 is a busy road and not very pleasant to cycle.

Sorry to keep asking all thee daft questions but i simply dont know the
area at all

Chris

Ask away!

--
Paul Lydon
Winster, Derbyshire, UK
Old November 26th 03, 08:32 AM
turkeytickler

Ok then..!

Could you recommend a route that would take in the winnats pass -
preferably cicular of about 30 miles in length - without minging roads? I
could keep guessing routes all year ;-)

thanks

Chris

Old November 26th 03, 08:47 AM
MSeries

Paul Lydon wrote:

Ask away!

OK As part of my LeJOG next year I will most likely be staying at Illam Hall
YH then riding to my own home in Morley, West Yorkshire. I am looking for
route from Ashbourne to the Woodhead Pass road, preferably with few steep
hills and little traffic.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.
http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

Old November 26th 03, 07:26 PM
Paul Lydon

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:32:25 -0000, turkeytickler
wrote:

Ok then..!

Could you recommend a route that would take in the winnats pass -
preferably cicular of about 30 miles in length - without minging roads? I
could keep guessing routes all year ;-)

Not sure of total length - but you could start in Castleton, up
Winnats Pass, turn right and make a short detour to the right past
Blue John Cavern show cave to see what happened to the main road below
Mam Tor some years ago and why the main route is now via Winnats Pass.
Retrace your route back to the main road heading towards
Chapel-en-le-Frith then turn right to take the road via Mam Nick to
Edale (downhill this time!). Continue on this 'B' road to reach Hope.

Now cross over the A625, heading for Bradwell and a minor road heading
west to eventually rejoin Castleton from the South East.

Old November 26th 03, 07:26 PM
Paul Lydon

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:47:00 -0000, "MSeries"
wrote:

Paul Lydon wrote:

Ask away!

OK As part of my LeJOG next year I will most likely be staying at Illam Hall
YH then riding to my own home in Morley, West Yorkshire. I am looking for
route from Ashbourne to the Woodhead Pass road, preferably with few steep
hills and little traffic.

I don't know where Woodhead Pass road is - nor how to avoid hills
around here (!). If I was to head north from Ashbourne, I would take
the 'B' road to Thorpe then follow on to Ilam and north to
Alstonfield. Continue on the minor roads to Sheen then on to Longnor
and onwards towards Buxton.

Plenty of quiet roads (except maybe Ilam on summer weekends) but,
hills - some steep - well it is the Peak District after all!

Old November 26th 03, 08:38 PM
Tony Raven

Paul Lydon wrote:

Not sure of total length - but you could start in Castleton, up
Winnats Pass, turn right and make a short detour to the right past
Blue John Cavern show cave to see what happened to the main road
below Mam Tor some years ago and why the main route is now via
Winnats Pass. Retrace your route back to the main road heading
towards Chapel-en-le-Frith then turn right to take the road via Mam
Nick to Edale (downhill this time!). Continue on this 'B' road to
reach Hope.

Now cross over the A625, heading for Bradwell and a minor road
heading west to eventually rejoin Castleton from the South East.

I would change in the middle and turn left not right after retracing
from Blue John towards Sparrowpit. Depending on how hill climbing you
feel either take the first left past the quarry up past Rushop Hall or
the stiffer climb from Sparrowpit up to Rushup Edge and then back
round, turning left to go up over Mam Tor. If you have the time,
Perrydale is a nice detour and quite a contrast from the moorland

Tony