Car vs. Bike vs. the Law

Old December 1st 05, 09:54 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech

Default Car vs. Bike vs. the Law

Mark Hickey wrote:
"JD" wrote:

Mark Hickey wrote:
Shawn sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet wrote:
Mark Hickey wrote:
Not any more - they land as slow (vertically) as you want 'em to since
virtually everyone has moved to the airfoil chutes.

Not true, emergency chutes are still round.
http://www.nationalparachute.com/page3.html

That's why I said "virtually"... the 'chutes that are built to recover
entire aircraft are also round, as are those that recover
spacecraft... but on a "percentage popped" basis, I would imagine it's
way under 1% total.

I'll take that bet: http://www.airbornesystems-na.com/troop2.html

Have you ever seen a mass tactical airborne exercise? Heavy equipment,
CDS, LAPES and personnel use round chutes to this day in the military.
Bet me that under 1% popped and I'll take all of your money.

I can figure the military equipment using round 'chutes (and would
hope that they aren't dropping THAT much equipment out of airplanes
regularly), but I'd hate to jump out of an airplane over people who
want to use me for target practice without being able to control where
I come down (beyond a very narrow cone). Then again, I've heard
stories about mid-air collisions with round 'chutes - I guess it would
just be worse with wings.

Do yourself a favor and google CDS, mass tactical airborne, CAPEX and
C-130 for some photos to get an idea of what the sky looks like when
filled with round parachutes. The most personnel I ever saw under
canopy at once was an 8 ship C-141 mass tac drop in NC. At 155 troops
per aircraft, that's 1240 'chutes in the air.

My last jump had some Ranger running across the top of my canopy, but
then again the friggin T-10 has the least amount of manueverability. I
saw people tangled up, but never saw anyone get injured badly from
that.

JD

Old December 1st 05, 09:56 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech

Marty wrote:
"JD" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mark Hickey wrote:
Shawn sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet wrote:

Mark Hickey wrote:
wrote:

aka "fold legs in a semi upright fall, rolling to one side (while
pulling on the shrouds with extended arms). Of course I have no
parachute but the collapsing fall helps prevent the broken leg.
Parachutes fall at about 15MPH for combat jumps and 10MPH for
civilians.

Not any more - they land as slow (vertically) as you want 'em to since
virtually everyone has moved to the airfoil chutes.

Not true, emergency chutes are still round.
http://www.nationalparachute.com/page3.html

That's why I said "virtually"... the 'chutes that are built to recover
entire aircraft are also round, as are those that recover
spacecraft... but on a "percentage popped" basis, I would imagine it's
way under 1% total.

Mark Hickey

I'll take that bet: http://www.airbornesystems-na.com/troop2.html

Have you ever seen a mass tactical airborne exercise? Heavy equipment,
CDS, LAPES and personnel use round chutes to this day in the military.
Bet me that under 1% popped and I'll take all of your money.

JD

JD,

I mostly un-assed with the MC-5. I was especially fond of the identical main
and reserve chutes. These work fine for HAHO but were unforgiving *******s
eventhough you could configure them for free fall or SL. Nice forward speed
and good brakes.

Marty

MC-5 = Paracommander? All of the different nomenclatures from service
to service were pretty confusing at times.

JD

Old December 1st 05, 10:43 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech

"JD" wrote in message
ups.com...

Marty wrote:
"JD" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mark Hickey wrote:
wrote:

[...]

It's a 7-cell Ram Air. I've seen it called RAPS. It's a hybrid really
between the MT-1 and MC-4 designs.

Old December 2nd 05, 05:08 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech

"JD" wrote:

My last jump had some Ranger running across the top of my canopy, but
then again the friggin T-10 has the least amount of manueverability. I
saw people tangled up, but never saw anyone get injured badly from
that.

My Ranger buddy saw someone get hurt... the guy whose equipment bag
(the one that hangs on a long tether below the jumper) dropped through
the hole in the top of my buddy's 'chute.

The "hurt" happened after they both landed safely. ;-)

He also told me about how they'd tweak the new guys by walking on the
tops of their 'chutes. Gotta believe that there were some holes
pinched in some skivvies over that...

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old December 4th 05, 01:48 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech

My last jump had some Ranger running across the top of my canopy, but
then again the friggin T-10 has the least amount of manueverability. I
saw people tangled up, but never saw anyone get injured badly from
that.

What kind of birds don't fly?

Tommy
C 3/325 70-72

Old December 4th 05, 07:14 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech

Tommy Taylor wrote:
My last jump had some Ranger running across the top of my canopy, but
then again the friggin T-10 has the least amount of manueverability. I
saw people tangled up, but never saw anyone get injured badly from
that.

What kind of birds don't fly?

Tommy
C 3/325 70-72

The Jumpin' Junkies? I always called a mass tac on Sicily "air
pollution".

JD

Old December 6th 05, 10:09 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 22:08:38 -0700, Mark Hickey
wrote:

My Ranger buddy saw someone get hurt... the guy whose equipment bag
(the one that hangs on a long tether below the jumper) dropped through
the hole in the top of my buddy's 'chute.

The "hurt" happened after they both landed safely. ;-)

Aren't those things essentially unsteerable? So why would your buddy
punish the guy for accidentally getting his gear in his chute?

Jasper
Old December 7th 05, 01:28 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

My Ranger buddy saw someone get hurt... the guy whose equipment bag
(the one that hangs on a long tether below the jumper) dropped through
the hole in the top of my buddy's 'chute.

The "hurt" happened after they both landed safely. ;-)

Aren't those things essentially unsteerable? So why would your buddy
punish the guy for accidentally getting his gear in his chute?

They're not entirely unsteerable - and I would imagine the adrenaline
factor was pretty much off the charts (think what would happen if the
guy on top took a different turn than the guy below). Ooof.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
Evaulating a bike Paul Cassel Techniques 96 August 22nd 05 11:45 PM
My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
Some questions etc.. Douglas Harrington General 10 August 17th 04 02:42 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM