RRR (REAL ride report)

Old November 9th 05, 10:42 PM

Default RRR (REAL ride report)

Tell the guy who wrote it, not me.

Old November 9th 05, 10:48 PM
JD

wrote:
Nah, Alistair is The Man:

http://www.bikemagic.com/gallery/ima...on==1&uin==981

Anybody who rides a Surly with a shopping basket on the front can do no
wrong in my eyes.

Would a 1978 Schwinn Speedster be a qualifier too?

JD

Old November 9th 05, 10:51 PM

Alistair stayed at my place in China for a few days on his way through,
so not so strange. He's a good writer, worth looking through the words
on that site.

After an extended spell on the bike this year (2.5 months in the Indian
Himalaya, followed by two months camping rough in Scotland
http://petejones.fotopic.net/c757209.html), I've decided the life of an
itinerant cycling hobo is pretty much up my street. Over the next few
months I'll be selling off everything I can't fit into panniers and
hitting the tracks on a semi-permanent basis.

Fancy a bid on the current lot?
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZtrackstermanQQhtZ-1

Looks like Rich was closer than he realised...
http://touart.com/amb/ambar/ambar37.htm

Old November 9th 05, 11:58 PM
G.T.

wrote in message
ps.com...
Alistair stayed at my place in China for a few days on his way through,
so not so strange. He's a good writer, worth looking through the words
on that site.

After an extended spell on the bike this year (2.5 months in the Indian
Himalaya, followed by two months camping rough in Scotland
http://petejones.fotopic.net/c757209.html), I've decided the life of an
itinerant cycling hobo is pretty much up my street. Over the next few
months I'll be selling off everything I can't fit into panniers and
hitting the tracks on a semi-permanent basis.

All I can say is wow.

The Himalayan and Chinese stuff looks amazing.

Greg

Old November 10th 05, 12:11 AM
JD

G.T. wrote:
The Himalayan and Chinese stuff looks amazing.

I didn't see any Hawaiians in the pics either.

JD

Old December 8th 05, 01:05 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

http://www.roundtheworldbybike.com/reports_latest.asp

I was gonna slam this guy for his own brand of snobbery, but then I read
this on his site:

AN ETHICS TEST: With all your honor and dignity, what would you do?
This test only has one question, but it's a very important one.
Please don't answer it without giving it some serious thought.
By giving an honest answer you will be able to test where you stand morally.
The test features an unlikely, completely fictional situation, where you
will have to make a decision one way or the other. Remember that your
answer needs to be honest, yet spontaneous...

"You are in Florida. There is chaos all around you, caused by a
hurricane and severe floods. There are huge masses of water everywhere.
You are a CNN photographer and you are in the middle of this great
disaster. The situation is nearly hopeless. You're trying to shoot very
impressive photos. There are houses and people floating around you,
disappearing into the water. Nature is showing all its destroying power
and is ripping everything away with it.

Suddenly you see a man in the water fighting for his life, trying not to
be taken away by the masses of water and mud. You move closer. Somehow
the man looks familiar. Then you realize who it is... George W. Bush! At
the same time you notice that the raging waters are about to drag him
under. So you have two options:
You can save the life of George W. Bush, or you can shoot a Pulitzer
prize-winning photo of the death of the world's most powerful men."

And here's the question: (Please give an honest answer)
Would you select color film, or go with the simplicity of classic black
and white?

ROTFLMAO

From Alistair today -

In 2001 I shaved my head and set off to pedal round the world.
18 months later somebody paid me £50 to hack off the dreadlocks.
Then in Peru a one-eyed barber sheared me to look nice and smart in an
optimistic effort to get through Colombia safely.
In September 2004 I endured a Siberian skinhead look. And now, 15
months later and back in civilisation, the ugly prospect of a haircut
has
re-appeared...
Sooo, the big question is: do I shave off my mop and re-integrate into
the civilised world... or... do I keep the big mullet Wildman look??

I have decided to let you all decide! So I have set up two websites and
by a simple vote you can choose whether or not my head gets shaved at
my party in London on the 22nd. Votes are made by donations to 'Hope
and Homes for Children' and whichever one receives the most will win.
Simple.

So if you want me to cut my hair visit:
www.justgiving.com/baldchristmas
and if you want me to keep the hair visit:
www.justgiving.com/warmearschristmas

Thank you for your fashion advice!
Merry Christmas

Get voting - but specify, it's gotta be a mullet!!!